Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

Ive been away from my Cf-4 and Cf-3(both v.1) for almost 4 months now. Thinking when I get back to start a project and veneer them both plus the KV4 and redo the grill cloths. Cf3s are black and my cf4s are cherry.
Would it be blasphemous to redo the black pair into cherry or the cherry into black?
Also as far as the kv4...do I remove the vinyl first? How would I go about doing that?

Im currently considering just refinishing the black CF3 and veneer the cherry cf4 in black ash. My RSW15 is black too so figure it would be easiest and any future sub will likely be black also

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nmorris43 said:

Newbie here.... I just purchased my first pair of CF4's and the vinyl front is curling and a lower corner is broken off. What has anyone else done with this vinyl on the front?

See picture for example of what is happening.

228158930_10224241512038086_452144900206553389_n.jpg

If all the veneer is there thinking that a lightly warm iron may uncurl and make flat. Then maybe a coolish iron with glue should hold it while heavyish weight until dries. Careful with glue and heatif flammable.

Others will say...

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, billybob said:

If all the veneer is there thinking that a lightly warm iron may uncurl and make flat. Then maybe a coolish iron with glue should hold it while heavyish weight until dries. Careful with glue and heatif flammable.

Others will say...

Problem is the vinyl has shrunk. Heat will probably make it shrink more.

• Like 1

Just now, CWOReilly said:

Problem is the vinyl has shrunk. Heat will probably make it shrink more.

I agree CWO.... I think it was heat that created the curling to begin with. Wasn't sure anyone had completely removed the vinyl successfully and re coated the MDF with another product?

2 minutes ago, nmorris43 said:

I agree CWO.... I think it was heat that created the curling to begin with. Wasn't sure anyone had completely removed the vinyl successfully and re coated the MDF with another product?

I know it's been done. Polk Audio had the same issues. You might dig around their forums look for Polk Audio LS 50 baffle repair.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billybob said:

Dang... alright...even a cold iron should uncurl.

Good fortune!

If you look at the photo where the plastic is peeled back the furthest, it looks like there is a secondary line where the leading edge has curled back beneath the top layer.  Rolled underneath so to speak.  If you iron that, it will be permanently fused together.  Or so it appears to me. 

I like 314's suggestion of trimming off the vinyl and replacing it with cove molding.  If sanded and trimmed properly, it should look "factory" in quality and easily replaced in the future should it become damaged.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

If you look at the photo where the plastic is peeled back the furthest, it looks like there is a secondary line where the leading edge has curled back beneath the top layer.  Rolled underneath so to speak.  If you iron that, it will be permanently fused together.  Or so it appears to me. 

I like 314's suggestion of trimming off the vinyl and replacing it with cove molding.  If sanded and trimmed properly, it should look "factory" in quality and easily replaced in the future should it become damaged.

Cool...I can only see so much... thanks!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Being somewhat lazy myself,, I might first take a look at a vinyl wrap product.  Slice off the old black vinyl  and cut a new piece to size and test.    

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Matte-Vinyl-Detailing-Black/dp/B072KL5G8V/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=flat+black+vinyl+wrap&qid=1628285529&sr=8-8

That makes a lot of sense, Shiva.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

Being somewhat lazy myself,, I might first take a look at a vinyl wrap product.  Slice off the old black vinyl  and cut a new piece to size and test.    

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Matte-Vinyl-Detailing-Black/dp/B072KL5G8V/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=flat+black+vinyl+wrap&qid=1628285529&sr=8-8

This would be the route I’d choose. Some light sanding and thorough cleaning before laying it out. And in your choice of color or pattern. Can we say Hello Kitty print?? Ha! The wives would love it! 

Black vinyl is the way to go unless you wanna veneer them. Good luck!

I'm still not sold on the vinyl wrap. Durability is my concern. This is a far more durable product made specifically for this type of work. I have a roll of it here right now! Grab an edge band trimmer while your shopping.

https://www.amazon.com/Sauers-CECOMINOD042041-Black-Melamine-Edging/dp/B00315PNAI

Otherwise, I would need better pics of the speaker cabinet.

On 8/6/2021 at 12:56 PM, nmorris43 said:

Let us know what you think vor do please... thanks @nmorris43