Insight on Puerto Vallarta anyone?

Pete H

I have a trip coming up in March to Hard Rock in Puerto Vallarta so input from anyone with any area experience would be appreciated.  I wasn't going to attend this trip but colleagues of mine have applied the needed pressure to have me reconsider.  I'm not one to go hang out on the beach or by the pool all day, just not my kind of fun, but I'm not finding much in that area to plan on seeing.  Seems like any of the archaeological and historical sites are way out so if you've been there, I'm all ears. 

Been there twice,

If you like to fish, I highly recommend getting a guide for a day and go out for marlin, sails, dorado, etc...

Great golf course there as well as bungee jumping (lol) and plenty of isolated beaches.

The local bars are cheap BUT if there are cruise ships in the bay they will try to charge you triple. Just tell them your not on those ships and give you the good price.

Keep your valuables and passport safe and have a great time!

Oh and if you rent a 4x4 jeep make sure the front axle isn't missing...long story but we got stuck out there.

Edited by Tasdom

Just go and enjoy.  Rent a beetle and drive up to el eden for lunch.  The helicopter from Predator is there, along a  river with a waterfall pool.  It just got hurricane blasted though so i'm not sure what's there anymore.  Wife and I went about 25 years ago.  It was a cheap getaway.

Edited by oldtimer

Thanks for the suggestions. I found an ATV tour company that goes there and other places. That could kill a day and be a blast. I'm planning on fishing one of the days also but March isn't the best time for that, but as long as I'm out on the water, it will be fine, but doesn't look like Marlin or Sailfish will be on the agenda. The trip itself is all inclusive but I do try and find a couple local joints to try and experience the flavor a bit.

• Like 1

Is there snorkeling? You might find a tour for that. There are cheap digital cameras good down to 30 feet which you will enjoy using. Also waterproof pouches for money, credit cards, driver's licenses.

I agree with security measures. Years ago in St. Thomas I left my wallet in the pile of beach towels while swimming. Of course it was gone when I returned.

It is like anywhere, including Chicago. 99.99 percent of people are honest. The 00.01 percent make security measures necessary.

Drink only bottled water . . . need I say beer? Ice cubes can be contaminated.

WMcD

• Like 1

I'd try to research and see how bad the cartel is down there.  My sister went here on her honeymoon nearly 15 years ago and had a great time, but you couldn't pay me to go to many places in Mexico today.  Shouldn't be bad in resorts, assuming you stay there.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

There nice cruises to some local Islands worth seeing.  Also, try your hand at parasailing.  You can have fun just going around the city.  Don't take any tours far outside of the city: it could get dangerous.  You will love the local hospitality.

I for one vote absolutely NO on the Para sailing thing!

I have also been sky diving and truly enjoyed that, but when I went Parasailing, they didn't have me balanced properly and I pretty well rocked back and forth rather violently!

They had me up at least 750 ft. as I was so high that they couldn't see my signals that I wanted to come down!

They got me violently sea sick and kept me up for a LONG time! I actually contemplated unstrapping myself even though I knew I wouldn't make it!

Roger

Oh, I see now. Actually it's Flint and the Governor of Michigan decided to feed the homes and hospitals tainted water with lead to save some bucks. So thoughtful of him. Kids now show 3x the minimum of lead in their blood. Wonderful.  I'm Independent, and haven't looked at the Governor's politics but I can guess, and I'm sure I'm right. 

Plan before you venture off site !!!!  Puerto Vallarta, like any other 3 world destination, is beautiful and abject poverty is always nearby.  Ask for a room with a safe and use it for ALL of your money, valuables and PASSPORT.  If an all inclusive...the water is OK to drink, there are guards on site and everything you might want to do can be arranged through where you are staying WITHOUT leaving the site.  If leaving the site travel in a group if at all possible.  Always be aware of your surroundings !!!! This is a beautiful costal area with blue blue clear ocean waters and scenic mountains in the background.  Do go but be mindful there are people that will try to separate you from your money and belongings.  If you are a beach bum, like me, look for the beach Sayulita