The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson Coming Back

Ceptorman

I always loved that any musicians or singers who appeared on the show had to actually perform, not mail it in. Nowadays so many performers use overdubbing or auto tune to cover up for their lack of real talent, when performing live. You could always tell when the Tonight Show Band was into a performer & they appreciated the talent. B.B. King was one that sticks in my mind.

• Like 1

I always loved that any musicians or singers who appeared on the show had to actually perform, not mail it in. Nowadays so many performers use overdubbing or auto tune to cover up for their lack of real talent, when performing live. You could always tell when the Tonight Show Band was into a performer & they appreciated the talent. B.B. King was one that sticks in my mind.

Yes, and the band leader from the David Letterman show is a real DlCK! My brother met him in a casual run in when he was in Europe.

Roger

Recall Johnny had a show where they just had nothing to fill a slot/segment. So they rolled out a grand piano on stage and the idea was for someone in the audience would come down and play on stage. Figuring they would get someone doing a realy bad rendition of Chop Sticks or something like that, a college student raised his hand with all smiles and was getting all these pats on the back from his buddies.

The student came down and played one of the most awesome playings of the Star Spangled Banner with a lot of personal improvisation, it was just something see.

He was good enough that Johnny had him back on a couple times (paid him $400 a shot IIRC).

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 2