David Bowie Dies at 69

minermark

I always looked forward to Bowie releasing a new album.   You could always count on him bringing something different to the table and it rarely took more than a listen to become very fond of it.  He has always been around since I was a kid and his music was reliable as a weekend showing up.  His passing really sucks and a shock to me, but its a great time to celebrate his life and all that he has given us.

No one can fill the hole that David Bowie leaves behind.

Three tracks from his latest and last album. Its dark, complicated, out there and anything but boring which is what he promised us 19 years a go or so.

First one of his songs I ever heard that wasn't on the radio was from a neighborhood band (in Price Hill if your from Cincinnati). A friend's uncle set up in his back yard with a 3 other band members and played "Fame". Some part of the sound system blew up on stage in front of them with a good size flash. I thought it was just part of the theatrics, but they kept on playing. :)

Frist time I ever saw him live was on SNL in 79' when he did "Man Who Sold the World". That was a culture shock for sure.

RIP David Bowie. His new Lazarus video is sooooo depressing...it is quite obvious he knew the end was near.

A lot of people were really negative on the new album with the title track BLACKSTAR being very ominous and dark.  You see Major Tom lying there, long gone and his jeweled skull inside the the space helmet.(Was he hinting here that the end was near as no one knew he was terminally ill at the time) There is a smily face patch on the space suit that was noted by a writer as a gesture as to not take things in the video so literal or serious.  I also noticed that the same smiley face was used quite a bit in Davids son's Movie he directed which was MOON. It starred one of my favorite actors, Sam Rockwell.  

I agree, Lazarus is very sad and it makes you wonder if he thought he would be gone before the album release of his birthday or after, but after seeing that video or listening to the lyrics this album was a last offering for us as many have noted.  Either way, the wind instruments are awesome and from the lack of response or Bowie fans in this forum it makes me wonder how the heck so many members here have gone so long without discovering some of the best diversified music out there that DB offered.  It all wasnt  Ziggy, Fame, Young Americans, Queen Bittch, etc etc.   He had some great later released industrial rock albums like the album OUTSIDE which had tons of jazz oriented content melded with serious rock tracks that have some serious, serious bass, but the bass was even more pronounced in the album EARTHLING.    Its actually these albums of the mid 90's that steered me into listening to more Myles Davis and Coltrane.  

I wish it didn't take me so many years to appreciate and actually enjoy more jazz 

Edited by Max2

Well Max, I started with jazz, and eventually liked rock.  If only:

We could be heroes

Just for one day

Thats a good direction of path OldTimer.  I actually started with ELO and Three Dog night, (My Dads two 8 tracks in his truck).  Back then real music was played on the radio and it was a privilege to get to listen to it on the way to school with my Mom, but heck, we're talking '75 and '76.  Then the 80's showed up and boy things changed from there from there, but certainly still a step up from the majority of the new collaborations  Im hearing today.  

• Like 1

Saw him at the Richfield Coliseum in 1978. Absolutely remarkable showman. 

RIP the coliseum also if it's the same one I'm thinking of.

JJK

Good nostalgic memories at the old Richfield Coliseum. I attended a lot of concerts, many sports events and even my high school graduation at the old Richfield Coliseum.  I saw David Bowie there in 1978 and 1983.  It seems odd to this day to drive by and find no signs of the place and only an open meadow that is now part of the national park system.

I believe that Larry Bird's final NBA game was at the Richfield Coliseum.  Does anyone remember the Muhammad Ali and Chuck Wepner fight at the Richfield Coliseum in 1975 (I've read that it was this fight that was the inspiration for the Rocky movies)?  What about the Barons, Crusaders, Force, Crunch, Lumberjacks, and Thunderbolts?

Edited by Fjd

Diamond Dogs was the first album I ever bought and was amazed at how gifted he was. Honestly, all of his early material including the obscure up until about the time he formed Tin Machine was incredible but the later stuff I didn't appreciate as much...I have the 5.1 Audio of REALITY which was interesting, but dark and was an excellent mix for what it was...That said, the SACD version of Ziggy Stardust still gets a lot of play at my house and the two concert DVD-As I will need to play in his honor--Definitely RIP David Bowie you will be missed...

JJK

Does anyone remember the Muhammad Ali and Chuck Wepner fight at the Richfield Coliseum in 1975 (I've read that it was this fight that was the inspiration for the Rocky movies)? What about the Barons, Crusaders, Force, Crunch, Lumberjacks, and Thunderbolts?

I've seen that Rocky was initially based on a fighter named Ezzard Charles. Edited by Mighty Favog

JJK

Does anyone remember the Muhammad Ali and Chuck Wepner fight at the Richfield Coliseum in 1975 (I've read that it was this fight that was the inspiration for the Rocky movies)?  What about the Barons, Crusaders, Force, Crunch, Lumberjacks, and Thunderbolts?

I've seen that the Rocky were initially based on a fighter named Ezzard Charles.

Do you think that the Cincinnati Cobra ever sat down to a large bowl of Cincinnati chili?