Just about done with this forum

Scrappydue

• Moderators
Most interestingly, it just doesn't take much to set people off and escalate the situation. But why? It's exhausting to live like that.

Plus add to the fact that we all have personal, family and work issues that we are dealing with. 

• Like 1

Well, just saw this part of it.

I am going to take this opportunity to clearly state that if the item is not your own or something you are interested in buying DO NOT COMMENT in garage sale. If there is a problem either PM the seller or a moderator but thread crapping in garage sale will not be tolerated.

Dave

• Like 1

Well, just saw this part of it.

I am going to take this opportunity to clearly state that if the item is not your own or something you are interested in buying DO NOT COMMENT in garage sale. If there is a problem either PM the seller or a moderator but thread crapping in garage sale will not be tolerated.

Dave

last serious question. Why is it ok for fifteen people to say good luck with sale and keep a for sale thread at the top? Just curious. Whatever you guys say goes. Your the boss. Just wonder why that is ok but saying pm sent isn't ok?

Most interestingly, it just doesn't take much to set people off and escalate the situation. But why? It's exhausting to live like that.

Plus add to the fact that we all have personal, family and work issues that we are dealing with.

Oh I agree. Compounding the problem is that when you engage in these squabbles, well, it is summed up nicely in this excellent article I ran across yesterday:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/02/09/never-complain-never-explain/

"no matter how good the arguments were, the mere fact of advancing them would be everywhere taken as a sign of weakness."

"Explaining yourself is essentially an attempt to seek another’s approval. It shows you’re stung that they’ve withdrawn that approval, and desirous of getting it back. When you show that you care about an opinion that you, and any observers, know you really shouldn’t, you show weakness. In losing the fight between trying to ignore them and craving the catharsis of engagement, you demonstrate a failure of self-control."

"Further, when a chucklehead elicits a response, you validate his importance. He’s made you do something against your better judgment. You’ve given to him two of your most precious resources – your time and attention. You’ve gone from the offensive to the defensive. His status goes up and yours goes down."

Sad but true. Just kind of makes you look like you don't have your crap together, which goes back to what you're saying. I'm as bad as anybody I'm sure but at least I recognize the problem.

Why is it ok for fifteen people to say good luck with sale and keep a for sale thread at the top? Just curious. Whatever you guys say goes. Your the boss. Just wonder why that is ok but saying pm sent isn't ok?

Never said a PM wasn't OK. Regardless of what some believe, PMs are actually quite secure and even Chad would have to go way out of his way (and he doesn't) to see them. POSITIVE comments about a sale are, well positive. No problem. Just as using another to shill your services is OK up to a point (which WE decide where it is).

Dave

Why is it ok for fifteen people to say good luck with sale and keep a for sale thread at the top? Just curious. Whatever you guys say goes. Your the boss. Just wonder why that is ok but saying pm sent isn't ok?

Never said a PM wasn't OK. Regardless of what some believe, PMs are actually quite secure and even Chad would have to go way out of his way (and he doesn't) to see them. POSITIVE comments about a sale are, well positive. No problem. Just as using another to shill your services is OK up to a point (which WE decide where it is).

Dave

but the guy seemed to be most upset with the fact that I put pm sent even though the pm was not to buy the items? Like I said I find it courteous to put pm sent so the op knows I sent something to their box. I get not everyone's courtesies are the same but come on? Why get mad about that.

Just wonder why that is ok but saying pm sent isn't ok?

I think that is ok if interested in sale. Maybe state, "PM sent with questions, concerns, etc." if not interested in purchasing said item.

Just some advice(unsolicited). LOL.

Bill

Edited by willland

Dave

but the guy seemed to be most upset with the fact that I put pm sent even though the pm was not to buy the items? Like I said I find it courteous to put pm sent so the op knows I sent something to their box. I get not everyone's courtesies are the same but come on? Why get mad about that.

Aha! There you have it! He evidently was here to sell his stuff and you thought it okay to give your advice to him in PMs. Truthfully, after the first "PM" no need to do it again, imo and I not knowing what transpired privately between the parties can see where the seller could've been upset and questioning Scrappy's motives...

That's my 2 cents.

Edited by Zen Traveler

• Moderators
Why is it ok for fifteen people to say good luck with sale and keep a for sale thread at the top?

I myself don't see a problem with that.  Negative comments or comments regarding price (unless specifically asked for by the OP) is not advised.

I guess if "glws" or pm sent, etc. bothers a seller, they can have their for sale ad locked and request ONLY pm's from interested parties.

I think I saw where DeanG did that and I thought it was a good idea to avoid unwanted comments in his ad.

I guess if "glws" or pm sent, etc. bothers a seller, they can have their for sale ad locked and request ONLY pm's from interested parties.

I think I saw where DeanG did that and I thought it was a good idea to avoid unwanted comments in his ad.

now that's an idea!!! I like that.
  • Like 1

Dean actually locked his own thread.  I believe the OP can do that if he has over 5K threads.  OP's with less than 5k posts certainly request a lock from a moderator as well.

• Like 1

If the price is too high (it is) it just won't sell, you can sit back and think i told you so and get the best of it.

For every jerk there are 50 good people and not just here but everywhere, some hide it better and some just flaunt it. Its just how things are.

Don't let one little thing let you down Scrappy, it will blow over and life goes on.

• Like 1