Garage Sale Motives

Zen Traveler

Seems like some of you decided you'd like to have a "gentlemen's club" in garage sale section, but not everyone is aware of that desire. In a normal gentlemen's club the culture is established before members are "admitted". It's informal, but we'll understood. The section is not like that. So, in fact all expectations are valid expectations. Some will be unhappy.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Damn Mark, you're the king of typing on tapatalk..... or do you use the voice option? Most guys suck typing on their phones and/or type very little. It took me 45 minutes to type this.... Just kidding.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Seems like some of you decided you'd like to have a "gentlemen's club" in garage sale section, but not everyone is aware of that desire. In a normal gentlemen's club the culture is established before members are "admitted". It's informal, but we'll understood. The section is not like that. So, in fact all expectations are valid expectations. Some will be unhappy.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

yes, I think you will be unhappy…
  • Like 1

It's the BROTHERHOOD ! The phucking BROTHERHOOD !

Oscarsear gets it. Zen don't.

Nowadays 'THE BROTHERHOOD' seems to matter only when you're the buyer. The brotherhood is out the door when you're the seller.

This thread belongs in some other type forum, like a BULLSCHIT FORUM.

It seems pretty simple to me without need for discussion. If someone posts something for sale and you're interested then respond. If you're not interested in buying then STFU.

Good night my BROTHERS.

Keith

Not sure what brother keith is talking about here but I agree with the line I bolded in his quote and what started this thread was those responding in a Garage Sale thread who had no intention of buying but evidently giving their 2 cents....

It's informal, but we'll understood. The section is not like that. So, in fact all expectations are valid expectations. Some will be unhappy.

Straight to the point and I agree! That said, here in the lounge old and new hang out so venting these issues may help others and help get their post count up so they can join the Klipsch Forum Gentlemen's club (and Christy). :)

• Like 1

We used to sell our stuff in the sections we hang out at. Pieces were usually listed below the going price on AudiogoN. The idea was to give those here a first crack before being listed elsewhere. Sellers were honest and there was always full disclosure. Potential buyers might ask a few questions and that was usually it. There wasn't much in the way of haggling because sellers did their homework before listing the item. The peanut gallery was typically supportive and helpful. On rare occasion - we might have to bring someone back to reality.

So, the idea was to offer a good deal and make someone happy - not price gouge and incite a riot. If you don't want to offer a good deal, just take it to eBay.

No one should be commenting unless it's an obvious attempt at ripping someone off or some unrealistic price placed out of ignorance. Newer members should be expected to be protected by the old guard - and established members really need to show some tact.

If you think an established member is out of line, send a PM - like Roger did with me when I was trying to unload my drivers.

Some of the stuff going on out there is absurd.

Edited by Deang
  • Like 5

There wasn't much in the way of haggling because sellers did their homework before listing the item

Thanks for sharing your comments Dean. I agree and another thing I was trying to point out is that what we have outside of the Garage Section is a forum of 'experts' and one of the things we have in common is that we know what these items typically sell for. That said, others (new folks or had been advised somewhere else that Klipsch had a Garage Section) may just want to sell their crap without commentary and are surprised when those that aren't interested seem to be impeding on their sale.

Edited by Zen Traveler

I sold a pair of speakers to a member...originally was asking $800 (which was a great deal) and ended up taking $700, PLUS I delivered them. A couple of weeks later they were for sale here for $1,000.....

lol who cares, I sold them. What he did with them is none of my business.

If he got his asking price then in the real world we call that Win/Win. ;) Otoh, if he sold it for considerably less than his asking price then probably good karma is still with him....

I once restored a circa 1900 house, sold it to some buyers who loved living in an old, functional house.  They sold it to another couple who tore out all the restorations, some incredibly beautiful, and replaced a lot of the wood work, doors, windows with white vinyl plastic coated replacements.  Made me sick, but had to just put it behind me since I was no longer the owner.  I've vented with others and now here, but when you don't own it anymore you can't control what tasteless folk will do. 

I once restored a circa 1900 house, sold it to some buyers who loved living in an old, functional house.  They sold it to another couple who tore out all the restorations, some incredibly beautiful, and replaced a lot of the wood work, doors, windows with white vinyl plastic coated replacements.  Made me sick, but had to just put it behind me since I was no longer the owner.  I've vented with others and now here, but when you don't own it anymore you can't control what tasteless folk will do. 

They probably got a deal on the windows--Buy one and get one free, buy two and get two free.

JJK

I sold a pair of speakers to a member...originally was asking $800 (which was a great deal) and ended up taking $700, PLUS I delivered them. A couple of weeks later they were for sale here for $1,000.....

lol who cares, I sold them. What he did with them is none of my business.

Depends on your original intentions as to if this stings or not.  If you were just wanting to unload them and you're happy to see them go, I totally agree.  

However, if you went out of your way to help a guy out and he's profiting on your generosity at your expense, I'm sorry but that's often taken to be a slap in the face, just kind of insulting, especially if it is anything that you can be emotionally attached to even just a little.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

They probably got a deal on the windows--Buy one and get one free, buy two and get two free.

JJK

I had taken apart double hung windows and restored them.  They had the vintage wavy glass and I'm sure they ended up in a landfill.  I did, unfortunately, take it personally. 

At my old house I had a nice pole barn that was my man cave.  Then somebody bought the house.  Pretty sure they've never even opened the doors on it, they have no need for it, so it just sits there.  Meanwhile, I'm dying to have another one.  Makes me sick.  

At my old house I had a nice pole barn that was my man cave.  Then somebody bought the house.  Pretty sure they've never even opened the doors on it, they have no need for it, so it just sits there.  Meanwhile, I'm dying to have another one.  Makes me sick.  

Many years away from that house, I've the luxury of a man cave theater room and a man cave garage.  Maybe karma went full circle from the love I gave that old house. 

My apologies to the OP for going a bit off topic. 

• Like 1