Are us audiophiles like expert wine tasters?

wvu80

Thanks for the laugh Dave and it is an interesting post.  I think to a certain extent what we hear depends on how the speakers look along with the other gear.  The room setting and decor also influence our listening experience.  When I go into a custom shop I am expecting hear some great speakers.  Names like Focal, Dynaudio, PBS, McIntosh, Klipsch Palladium, ect.  When you see a beautiful system, you sit back to enjoy and are less critical.  At least I am. :)

• Moderators

That's funny but not surprising, but with audio it's a little different. IMO

I couldn't listen for certain things, I am not a critical listener but easily know when I think something sounds good, or not so good. But in the end it's all personal choice.  :ph34r:  :D

• Like 1

I disagree with the purdy thing. My TSCMs are butt ugly. Someday, I will get arround to making them purdy, but it is the sound that has always been important to me.

Jubilees are butt ugly as well, and although they look better in Oak, Eldons MWM bins aint no Paladiums in the looks department, but all of these speakers will trounce a pair of Paladiums in sound!

And that's all I'm gonna say about that!

Rog

• Like 2

I drink single malt scotch. They do not all "taste" the same.

Wine testers don't swallow, which to me reveals quite a bit about the scotch I'm drinking. I can't drink 12 year old without a splash of water or with ice.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/you-are-not-so-smart-why-we-cant-tell-good-wine-from-bad/247240/

So, we must conclude that Coke and Pepsi taste "pretty much the same", people seated in a nice restaurant can't tell if the meal has been microwaved, and a $200 Pioneer receiver sounds the same as a pair of Mark Levinson monoblocks (Stereo Review).

So, we must conclude that Coke and Pepsi taste "pretty much the same", people seated in a nice restaurant can't tell if the meal has been microwaved, and a $200 Pioneer receiver sounds the same as a pair of Mark Levinson monoblocks (Stereo Review).

Richard Clark has 10 grand waiting for anybody who can tell the difference between them if you follow his rules. :)

http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/

I drink single malt scotch. They do not all "taste" the same.

Wine testers don't swallow, which to me reveals quite a bit about the scotch I'm drinking. I can't drink 12 year old without a splash of water or with ice.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/you-are-not-so-smart-why-we-cant-tell-good-wine-from-bad/247240/

What those writers don't understand is that perception is perception NO MATTER THE REASON! It gets back to the idea of objective reality. It doesn't exist. What does exist is the reality we create with perception. If a fancy wine label "enhances our perception" it doesn't matter is the difference is physical or perceptual. What matters is the quality of your experience. I just don't understand why people don't get this?

If a guy has been in a wheel chair for 30 years, goes to a tent healer who lays on hands, gets up and walks, it matters NOT ONE BIT if the healer has no medical powers. What counts is the WALKING, which he previously was not doing! The reality which counts is the post-perception experience. 

If paying $100 for a bottle of wine enhances your experience of dinner, then that is a GOOD thing. A think which would not have happened if you ordered the $2 bottle. Reality is experience. Experience is nothing but perception. Furthermore, once you have had the experience and it is a memory, it is permanently good! 

• Moderators

Knew a girl like that once.  :blush:

"Knew" in the biblical sense Elden?

Rog

yes  :blush2:

Women who are "pretty challenged" are like mopeds, they may be fun to ride but you wouldn't want your friends to see. 

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2