Sealing an RSW-15?

Matthews

A woofer/subwoofer is the easiest speaker system to design.  With T/S parameters, the results are very reliable and predictable.  It sounds like you would be best served by getting a copy of BassBox and design and build your own sealed sub.  Sealed subs DO have some advantages, though "tight" is still not guaranteed. 

Edited by John Albright

Sounds to me like you may want to go with a pair (or 4 ) 18's..

...and there goes the neighborhood

Porting the cabinet will probably remove too much volume to make any improvement in sound and without having access to T/S parameters outcome would a guess at best.

Yeah, have decided against a port.  Likely a waste of time and material.

Let us know how it sounds and share some pics along the way. Will be interesting to follow.

Absolutely, update next Saturday :)

Since you already have the idea stuck in your head to remove the passive with a blank, why not. No damage done, let us know what you think.

:emotion-21:

Yup, will cut a blank this week.  Results to follow.  A sealed RSW-15?  I have a good feeling about this.  My house/listening room is very small.  I am hoping to achieve the awesome punch the RSW is capable of while at the same time eliminating the window rattling super low grunts.  I know this sounds crazy!  Just a little bit of medicine and I will be OK :wacko2:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Windows can be prevented from rattling.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't that sub facing the wrong way already?

Did not know there was a "right" and "wrong" way to face the sub.

Klipsch says to face the powered driver toward the wall, in a corner if at all possible ... probably loads it?.

Edited by garyrc

If being to close to the wall is the problem, it will not change. 2-3 ft. away from the wall is ideal.

LOL - that would put it in the middle of my living room.  Now you see my predicament?

Sealed, you will lose low frequency. I will guess you will raise the lower number from 19Hz to 30Hz. I am guessing......

Oh boy, that is exactly what I am trying to eliminate.  Those extremely low, wall shaking frequencies.  This just may prove to be a worthwhile trial. 

You could try one of these to filter out anything below 20 hz. They make 30 hz ones as well:

http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-fmod-inline-crossover-pair-20-hz-high-pass-rca--266-246

http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-fmod-inline-crossover-pair-30-hz-high-pass-rca--266-248

• Like 1

If being to close to the wall is the problem, it will not change. 2-3 ft. away from the wall is ideal.

LOL - that would put it in the middle of my living room.  Now you see my predicament?

Sealed, you will lose low frequency. I will guess you will raise the lower number from 19Hz to 30Hz. I am guessing......

Oh boy, that is exactly what I am trying to eliminate.  Those extremely low, wall shaking frequencies.  This just may prove to be a worthwhile trial. 

You could try one of these to filter out anything below 20 hz. They make 30 hz ones as well:

http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-fmod-inline-crossover-pair-20-hz-high-pass-rca--266-246

http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-fmod-inline-crossover-pair-30-hz-high-pass-rca--266-248

Probably just a 8uF cap on the + and a 1KOhm resistor across the +/-. -3db at 20Hz, -6db at 10Hz.  Not really much blockage there. 

What about a miniDSP?

• Like 1

Matt!!! You there? Did you neuter the passive and try the blank this weekend like you planned? What were the results?

Hey Mookie, I did not get the chance to "neuter" the sub yet.  Other responsibilities postponed the operation this past weekend.  Plan on taking the passive to work with me Wednesday to make the blank.  Going to bring a little fiberglass home as well.  Should have it all back together Friday evening.  Stay tuned for updates :ph34r:

• Like 2

You aren't really going to try that are you??!

Uh? yes. Yes Sir, I am :P

Just giving you a hard time, hope it works out for you. You had gone a couple weeks without a project so you were over due

I really think it is going to work out well.  Get that passive off the wall and tighten it up a bit.  If not, no harm done and just put it back to stock.

Cant just sit there and wait for your mono blocks can you?

Chomping at the bit, Mookie.  Mid May...  Going to be incredible.  Stay tuned my friend :D

• Like 2