Palladium Sale...

Schu

The overlooked magic in the palladium line is in the surrounds, yet nobody talks about those.  Heard some at scrappy's house, they were one of the few speakers I've ever heard that made me turn my head to see what they were, just instantly grabbed my attention, just so danged smooth.  I've yet to be overly impressed with the towers and center considering the price.  

I haven't been able to buy Palladiums in a long time but nobody will come out and say they're being discontinued.  Have no idea what's going on with them.  I was surprised to see them being made when I went to Hope.  There were fresh subs being assembled.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I know for the 15-20 people in my group at the Hope listening room where Palladiums and RF7ll's were compared no one said the Palladiums were anywhere near worth the $$ difference between the two. $$$ for $$$ the RF's were a bargain and I believe more folks liked the RF's for sonics over the Palladiums.

I'd have to agree, that demo room didn't exactly showcase the Palladiums very well, plus the guy giving the tour there was upselling the RF-7ii.  Kind of hard to walk around of that room in that situation thinking that Palladiums are the bomb.  

The stainless Steel cleaner oil can looks a lot like the glass cleaner can. I've grabbed the wrong can many times.

pACE3-5233354enh-z7.jpgfc26cf44-b40a-4a83-ab74-86855e54bb3a_400

Lots of people don't even know about the "Sprayway" brand. It's da bomb when it comes to glass cleaners.

The overlooked magic in the palladium line is in the surrounds, yet nobody talks about those.  Heard some at scrappy's house, they were one of the few speakers I've ever heard that made me turn my head to see what they were, just instantly grabbed my attention, just so danged smooth.  I've yet to be overly impressed with the towers and center considering the price.  

Cannibalism...........they all have the same plastic molded tweeter and mid-range horn.  The big flagship on down and same as the little surrounds, and then they want $10K apiece for the big ones.  Mistake

True music enthusiasts are willing to trade off looks for better sound. The Palladium is one of the best looking speakers out there IMO, the white papers also say that it has more db output overall than a K, for what that's worth.

In some cases for folks with money to burn, where looks and a name badge are more important than what you are actually hearing, unfortunately a Klipsch will likely not fill that space.

But honestly, if I had 10K that I had to spend on equipment, I would buy a nice set of used Jubs and a decent Mac amp,  Mac pre and maybe a few more sound panels.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions for the folks that have heard Palladiums, as I'm potentially considering picking up the 38's or 39's on this sale. I have never heard a pair though and won't typically buy speakers without extensive listening.

1. Taking cost out of the equation, how much better do you think the palladium lines is over say the RF-83's and/or RF 7II?

2. What is your gut feeling on Klipsch coming out with an updated Palladium line? I'd hate to buy, then they come out with something much improved or a lower price point with the same technology built in.

3. Do the Palladiums have as much bass as the RF-83's or RF 7II? On paper it does not appear so and I'm trying to figure out why Klipsch didn't offer more output down below given the price?

Thx Guys..

In the group I was in at the listening demonstration at the Hope factory, most left with comments :

Khorn - 1st

RF 7 II - 2nd

Palladium - 3rd

or

Khorn - 1st

Palladium - 2nd

RF 7 II - a close 3rd.

I would need some listening time to choose 2 & 3.

SSH

Edited by ssh

In the group I was in at the listening demonstration at the Hope factory, most left with comments :

Khorn - 1st

RF 7 II - 2nd

Palladium - 3rd

or

Khorn - 1st

Palladium - 2nd

RF 7 II - a close 3rd.

I would need some listening time to choose 2 & 3.

SSH

I would be in that first group with the Palladium's third...

1. Taking cost out of the equation, how much better do you think the palladium lines is over say the RF-83's and/or RF 7II?

Palladium towers have better midrange on some material. That's the biggest thing I have noticed. Not everything makes it super obvious though, some material seemingly has very little gain.

2. What is your gut feeling on Klipsch coming out with an updated Palladium line? I'd hate to buy, then they come out with something much improved or a lower price point with the same technology built in.

I've been told that the enclosures are pretty hard/complex to build. If you ever see anything that resembles a replacement in the future, it wouldn't surprise me if the enclosures were simplified. I know of no plans at all, but a high quality 3-way tower in a more boxy RF-7ii-like enclosure wouldn't surprise me at all.

I have to think the complex shape followed engineering plus marketing and/or vise versa. And can't help but think marketing requested a more upscale form/finish not only to compete but to help justify the price point. Five foot tall rectangular boxes with a $20K price point may also see some resistance from our better half's. if a marketer is worth his salt the WAF has to be considered.

And yes my Hope group thought the same - KHorn, RFll, Palladiums. And for the crazy price difference RFll by a wide margin.

But it was a crappy room with terrible electronics. I highly doubt Palladium owners will use as $800 receiver to drive $20K worth pf speaks. So we didn't hear them at near ther best they all played on the same field.

And yes my Hope group thought the same - KHorn, RFll, Palladiums. And for the crazy price difference RFll by a wide margin.

But it was a crappy room with terrible electronics.

I've heard them for a fairly long period of time at scrappy's house, playing some audiophile demo stuff as well as movies that I'm very familiar with. That demo at Hope didn't show off what they are capable of.

• Like 1

I have a few questions for the folks that have heard Palladiums, as I'm potentially considering picking up the 38's or 39's on this sale. I have never heard a pair though and won't typically buy speakers without extensive listening.

3. Do the Palladiums have as much bass as the RF-83's or RF 7II? On paper it does not appear so and I'm trying to figure out why Klipsch didn't offer more output down below given the price?

Thx Guys..

I own a pair of Palladium P-37F and P-312W subwoofer. 

I also own RF-7, RF-7 II and an R-115SW subwoofer.

IMO this is comparing apples and oranges.  The Palladium speakers are luxury products with premium aesthetics.  (I prefer the merlot finish.)  The RF-7 II is a big plain box - it doesn’t exude quality the way the Palladium towers do.  (My RF-7 II are black; I imagine the cherry finish would look better.)  The aesthetic difference between the P-312W and R-115SW is even more striking.  The R-115SW is a big plain box covered with some sort of vinyl - not wood veneer.  The P-312W is comparatively a work of art.

Both the RF-7 II and Palladium are capable of great sound quality with the right amplification.    (Note that the Palladium towers are rated at 4 ohms, the RF-7 II at 8 ohms.) 

IMO the best value in the Palladium line is the P-37F augmented by the P-312W.  Without the subwoofer, the P-37F does not produce strong bass.  The P-37F / P-312 combination is capable of great sound quality, and looks beautiful.

The RF-7 II doesn’t need a sub unless you’re a fan or really loud low bass (e.g., pipe organ, or LFE in movies).   My RF-7 II driven by my single-ended-pentode amp (approximately 10 wpc) sounds great for classical music, opera, and big band music.  My RF-7 II reside in my unfinished basement with my exercise equipment, so in this system the aesthetics aren’t a factor.

Edited by robert_kc

I absolutely did not get any type of vibe that there was a sales pitch, or anything even close, either last year or this year.  It was simply presented as a comparison.  If the gentleman that did the demo had a personal preference, then I didn't pick up on it, I was only listening to the speakers in the room....The Khorns smoked both of the others.