My Brother Needs to Trade in His KLF-30's

jjptkd

My brother has been enjoying my old 30's for a few years now and he absolutely loves them. Thing is, his wife does not like the size of those unsightly giant black boxes that seem to dominate their smallish living room. He doesn't want to compromise sound quality or sheer output of the 30's but is willing to try and please the wife and get a more "acceptable" speaker.

I told him yeah, good luck with that one! Might be easier to trade in the wife.. :ph34r:  Any way, looking at the different models available and was thinking the RF-63 or RF-5 would probably work better size wise for their situation, anyone ever compare either of these two models with the KLF-30's? FWIW, they could fit a small sub to help with the lower end if need be. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Jesse

• Like 1

Tell him to start looking looking at Klipschorns or Jubilees and let his wife know he is interested in something larger rather than smaller, maybe then they can make a compromise and keep the KLF's, save some money and bribe her with a new pair of shoes or something.

• Like 4

Tell him to start looking looking at Klipschorns or Jubilees and let his wife know he is interested in something larger rather than smaller, maybe then they can make a compromise and keep the KLF's, save some money and bribe her with a new pair of shoes or something.

K-Horns have a surprisingly high WAF- they are wooden, look like furniture and tuck neatly into corners. I think the biggest issue of the KLF 30s is the "Black Box" look that is sure to fail the WAF test.

JJPTKD- Here is the plan: I would have your brother sneak this article in to his wife. Women love these kinds of home decorating etc blogs and it gives a good review of the Heresy and how special they are:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/old-fashioned-sound-vs-newfang-60631

Have him get her excited about them and how they will replace those big ugly black boxes she hates and when you look for some, maybe there just isnt any available  :unsure2:  Then tell her the Cornwall is pretty much just the same thing but a little bigger but still classic looking and you will take her shopping on the way to pick them up. :wink:

• Moderators

A heresy in a wood flavor with a small sub would be nice, but the really hard part is going to be " try and please the wife" , good luck to people with these problems.What about a nice veneer on the 30's ?

Ask him how does the clothes and shoe closet look, full I would imagine...........sorry it's just hard to imagine this problem.

May be easier just to get a guy on the side to please the wife ya know....  I have waited 25 years to listen to my beloved classic rock at respectable levels at home.  My HT room is finally taking shape.  How long can you still wait? 

Anyone compare the RF-5 to the RF-63?

Though I have never done a RF-5/RF-63 A/B comparison, I have had many opportunities since May 2008 to "upgrade" to RF-5's, RF-7's, and RF-83's but have opted out because of my overwhelming fondness for the RF-63's.

Bill

• Like 1

When my friends/or friends of come over and listen to a concert or watch a movie the sheer size of 30's kinda freaks some out. When you see them in a big room they're still big. Fortunately mine are in a dedicated room thats only for listening/viewing. I could see normal people thinking they're maybe a little large in  a living area. Thats a job better left to 20's, imo. 

I've had ref 3's/5/7/62/82II/83 and even a few more Klipsch I forget in this room. If I could only have 5's in this room I would be perfectly happy (for a while). They may not be big as 30's but they sounded pretty big, and very sweet. For just musical enjoyment they beat the 82 and 83 by at least a small margin, to my ears.

• Like 1

My brother has been enjoying my old 30's for a few years now and he absolutely loves them. Thing is, his wife does not like the size of those unsightly giant black boxes that seem to dominate their smallish living room. He doesn't want to compromise sound quality or sheer output of the 30's but is willing to try and please the wife and get a more "acceptable" speaker.

I told him yeah, good luck with that one! Might be easier to trade in the wife.. :ph34r:  Any way, looking at the different models available and was thinking the RF-63 or RF-5 would probably work better size wise for their situation, anyone ever compare either of these two models with the KLF-30's? FWIW, they could fit a small sub to help with the lower end if need be. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Jesse

He can trade them both for this!

post-63465-0-62180000-1468804632_thumb.j

• Like 2

When my friends/or friends of come over and listen to a concert or watch a movie the sheer size of 30's kinda freaks some out. When you see them in a big room they're still big. Fortunately mine are in a dedicated room thats only for listening/viewing. I could see normal people thinking they're maybe a little large in  a living area. Thats a job better left to 20's, imo. 

I've had ref 3's/5/7/62/82II/83 and even a few more Klipsch I forget in this room. If I could only have 5's in this room I would be perfectly happy (for a while). They may not be big as 30's but they sounded pretty big, and very sweet. For just musical enjoyment they beat the 82 and 83 by at least a small margin, to my ears.

You like the 5's over the 83's? Interesting..

Jesse

He can trade them both for this![/quot

If those don't work for him . how about these!

post-63465-0-49140000-1468805630_thumb.j

• Like 1

You like the 5's over the 83's? Interesting..

I mostly listen to music and consider the 5's more my taste for that. The 83's are certainly nice for everything but are great with movies.