New Member Introduction - St. Louis

codewritinfool

Hello,

I got the Khorn bug around 1987 when a friend got a pair from Flip's in St. Louis.  Finances and space didn't allow me to purchase my own.  Fast forward almost 30 years and I now own a pair, 1968 models.  They are fantastic.  I still don't have the proper room for them, but I'm getting there.

I'm an embedded software engineer by trade, and no stranger to electronics in general.  Anyone else in St. Louis?

code

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Welcome!  What's an "embedded" software engineer, and what kind of stuff do you do?

Thanks for the welcome.  I design hardware and software for things containing microcontrollers.  Sometimes they have no user interface.  Things like GPS/rubidium time references, spectrum analyzers, satellite locating & tracking systems, aircraft instrumentation, remote metering, microwave data links, solar chargers, wild game calls, cable boxes, etc...

The joke used to be that people would ask me what I do and I would tell them, "You know when you can't set your time on your VCR?  That's my fault".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, codewritinfool said:

Thanks for the welcome.  I design hardware and software for things containing microcontrollers.  Sometimes they have no user interface.  Things like GPS/rubidium time references, spectrum analyzers, satellite locating & tracking systems, aircraft instrumentation, remote metering, microwave data links, solar chargers, wild game calls, cable boxes, etc...

The joke used to be that people would ask me what I do and I would tell them, "You know when you can't set your time on your VCR?  That's my fault".

Ah!  I know exactly what you are talking about.  They have some gadgets in the hobby shops that allow some basic programming to DIY robotics, etc.

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Virtual Computer Replacement.  It's you brain.  He brain washes people.

Welcome to the forum!!

Huh. Well I'll be danged! Do you work for the Thump campaign?

Keith

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

I'm 3 hours from you.  I dabbled in some of that stuff in engineering school.  We did a bunch of programming on Motorola 6802's.  Had to take multiple communication electronics classes which heavily revolved around the microwave stuff, mostly the math behind all that.  Aircraft... we had to learn ADA which is the language used for the controls and whatnot.  Worked for awhile as a consultant for semiconductor companies, basically graphing out the behavior of their chips.  Most of it was aerospace and defense, so basically it was used in satellites, the space shuttle, even Patriot missles.  That included Stellex, Filtronic, Raytheon, and Texas Instruments.  A coworker actually supposedly helped design a bunker buster missle with Texas Instruments, basically it was the kind that was more or less a flying metal telephone pole.  Anyway, nowadays my day job is web stuff, javascript, database administration, visual studio, etc.  Been coding for 25 years or so.  We have a western Kentucky programmers club and a few weeks ago the speaker was a retired guy who was responsible for deploying the software in satellites, that was neat to pick his brain.  

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

I am near Wentzville.

Currently without an audio system of any kind.

It's complicated.

Signal processing engineer. I am required to write a lot of firmware and software, but am by no means an expert.

We probably know a lot of people in common.

Yep, definitely not an expert here.  I learn something new every day.