does anyone pick up money off the ground anymore?

BigStewMan

Of course I pick up any money I see anywhere. But I'm a cheap money grubbing son of a bee itch:rolleyes:

Best find was a wad of bills on doctors examination room floor. I think it was around 70 to 80 bucks.

And oh yea money is filthy. Some of it has been up someones nose, know what I mean Vern.

• Like 2

most of you are strange :D

maybe it’s not me being a germaphobe and I’m just leaving the money for someone that may need it?  ok, it’s the germ thing. but, i’ve had three colds in the past 16 years and i like NOT being sick.  All the money i’ve left on the streets was money well spent.  hmmm, i wonder if by leaving it, i can consider that a charitable contribution?

• Like 2

Was at a gas station awhile ago pumping gas leaning back not really paying attention to much. Done and whilst looking at the rear tire I noticed something peaking out from under the tire. Clearly a dollar bill. Rolled forward a bit and it was a $20! I was absolutely stoked. I walked around all four tire to make sure I hadn't run over any more.. 

Best $20 story I have.

• Like 1

Hey BSM did you ever see the documentary on what area has the most germs on it. It turns out the work break room table has more germs on it than the toilet did but everyone is concerned about the toilet. I bet gas pump handles and the bathroom door handles would be bad huh. I try not to touch the bathroom handle cause I have seen way to many people leave out of there with out even a splash of water. But I only got to that point after transplant and on anti rejection meds and lowers my immune system.

As far as being sick the sickest I have ever been is when my first son went to day care and came home with something I thought I was going to die from that.  The other time was right after my dad took me to get flu shot. Never got flu shot after that.

• Like 1

It irks me that people design public bathrooms with doors that swing into the bathroom. It is one of the stupidest things on this planet. To make matters worse, the people who do have them are the ones with the air dryers for your hands. 

It's stupid. 

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:39 AM, mustang guy said:

The old saying that you will eat a peck of dirt before you die is certainly the case for me. My boys couldn't pass up a dirt pile, and when it rained it was even better:

OcKtEa3.jpg

Aaaaah the good ole days!!!..... love that picture, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

On August 18, 2016 at 9:28 PM, mattSER said:

I only grab quarters or higher. Anything less isn't worth the mileage on my back. :P

True that.

You have to pick up 12 pennies per second to make the $7.25 federal minimum wage.

I keep all the pre-1982 ones I get as they're copper and can be made into some of the very best speaker cones.

82 and after are made of zinc and are only good as sacrificial anodes. 

• Like 1

If it's a penny or a nickel or a dime I'll pick it up..... I have a big barrel at the shop..... pennies, nickels, dimes goes in one and quarters have there own barrel....

Years ago I started a secret money stash from my wife at the shop.... all the side jobs I did.... all the old BS I was selling around the shop... all went into my secret money barrel.... the stash was a big plastic pretzel barrel.... I wrapped electrical tape all around it and cut a slot in the top so I could slip bills and quarters in it.... Two years into it I had no clue how much money was in it....

We were building a deck at the time and my wife was getting a bit stressed out.... wasn't alot of work coming in the shop and some bills were coming due..... The day came that I told her to clear her desk off..... make some room I told her.... she really was unsure of what was about to go down.... I walked in the office with a clean fender cover and this black tape covered barrel...... I laid the fender cover on her desk then put the black tape covered barrel in front of her..... yes the look on her face was great;).... I took a razor knife and cut the top off the barrel and dumped it up-side down on the fender cover..... pulling the barrel away all the loot was exposed..... Man it was great.... She was like what the he!! is this??

I told her.... just a little money I've been putting away for the deck...

All the bills were all folded up so I could slip them in the slot.... so we had to unfold them and make stacks.... most were 100's.... it took her the better part of an hour to count the loot.... I forget the exact amount, but was almost $8000. in bills and over $400 in quarters.... Man that was a great day......

Now if I didn't make it a point to put all that money away (outta sight outta mind) we would have just pissed it away.....

So yea I pick up money from the ground.....

MKP :-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

If it's a penny or a nickel or a dime I'll pick it up..... I have a big barrel at the shop..... pennies, nickels, dimes goes in one and quarters have there own barrel....

Years ago I started a secret money stash from my wife at the shop.... all the side jobs I did.... all the old BS I was selling around the shop... all went into my secret money barrel.... the stash was a big plastic pretzel barrel.... I wrapped electrical tape all around it and cut a slot in the top so I could slip bills and quarters in it.... Two years into it I had no clue how much money was in it....

We were building a deck at the time and my wife was getting a bit stressed out.... wasn't alot of work coming in the shop and some bills were coming due..... The day came that I told her to clear her desk off..... make some room I told her.... she really was unsure of what was about to go down.... I walked in the office with a clean fender cover and this black tape covered barrel...... I laid the fender cover on her desk then put the black tape covered barrel in front of her..... yes the look on her face was great;).... I took a razor knife and cut the top off the barrel and dumped it up-side down on the fender cover..... pulling the barrel away all the loot was exposed..... Man it was great.... She was like what the he!! is this??

I told her.... just a little money I've been putting away for the deck...

All the bills were all folded up so I could slip them in the slot.... so we had to unfold them and make stacks.... most were 100's.... it took her the better part of an hour to count the loot.... I forget the exact amount, but was almost $8000. in bills and over $400 in quarters.... Man that was a great day......

Now if I didn't make it a point to put all that money away (outta sight outta mind) we would have just pissed it away.....

So yea I pick up money from the ground.....

MKP :-)

That sounds like a true success story. Pennies from Heaven, as they say. :)

However... Unless you are the luckiest person ever, that barrel wasn't filled with change you picked up from the ground. It's probably spare change you throw in at the end of a day. That does add up pretty quickly. I donate my jar to Relay for Life each year. There have been times that my wife sorted quarters out of it to send with the kids for the laundry machine at college. 

I want my jar to be filled with dimes and quarters. It will have little economic impact on me, the people I buy from or Relay for Life.  

• Like 1

I'll pick up money, when I can and that's not very often. 

One of my daughters is a lucky money Dowsing stick. Many times she's found cash on a floor. While vacationing in Hawaii to visit my son who was stationed there, she knocked me to the side for some green. Turned out to be a $100 bill.  We looked around to see if it looked like someone was searching for it....nope, it's her's. 

On 8/18/2016 at 11:13 PM, mustang guy said:

I found out today quite by accident that Reese Cups are over $1 now. If I still had every penny I ever picked up in my entire life I couldn't afford a candy bar. Sometimes I buy something that costs 2 cents over the dollar and I have 98 cents to pocket and tote around all day long. I hate that!

IMO, pennies are quite literally obsolete. It takes far more money to have cashiers count out pennies than the savings if there were no such coinage. I even think counting nickels rather than simply rounding to the nearest dime is cost prohibitive. When rounding, more often than not, the retailer wins out. As it stands, the retailer loses due to productivity costs, not to mention customer retention problems due to slow moving checkout lines, etc. There isn't much you can buy for less than a dime anyway, and if there is, they could be sold as 2 for's. Better yet, just raise the price to a dime. It's a win for the supply chain, and there are less insignificant coins to tote around in your pocket or in the cup holder of your car.

I vote to get rid of all coins below a dime and round up and down. 

Rant over... 

That, or stop deflating the value. If we keep it up, the dollar will be useless like a penny.

On 8/19/2016 at 5:13 AM, ricktate said:

Well the gov. (Tax paying people who have their earned money stolen by the gooberment) looses money on making pennies so they should be gone.

Fixed it :D

But certain brand of politics wont give it up cause the mint is in their state. The money they lose is just a waste we could use on 100 other things like free school lunches for one.

If you wont pick up a 5 dollar bill because of germs well I will pick them up all day long.

As far as germs go remember the lack of kids getting dirty was the cause of polio because they weren't exposed to the germs as kids. I think a lot of problems we have now is we are to sanitary for or own good.

When I was a kid I was outside in the dirt bare foot exposed to everything my feet were so tough I could walk on glass or 100  degree day pavement that was probably 140+ degrees . I remember the asphalt squishing when ever I stepped on I actually liked the it felt good.

18 hours ago, ratcobob said:

True that.

You have to pick up 12 pennies per second to make the $7.25 federal minimum wage.

I keep all the pre-1982 ones I get as they're copper and can be made into some of the very best speaker cones.

82 and after are made of zinc and are only good as sacrificial anodes. 

You can hire me to do that. I want a $400 an hour job. Twelve cents a minute get's the $7.25/hr. 

:P

You know...times are peculiar.  In an era of Downsizing, Outsourcing, and cost cutting - management (at least from my viewpoint) will trip over a five dollar bill to save a nickel.  I am sill looking for that five dollar bill on the ground - which I would pick up.

• Like 2