What projects are you working on in your spare time ?

Seadoc

23 minutes ago, dtel said:

Leaving next week on a boat ride and to visit some islands, I will do some extensive beer and mixed drink taste testing, some on a beach. Does that count ?

no, that does not count unless you have supervision

• Moderators
1 hour ago, -js- said:

no, that does not count unless you have supervision

My wife and a few friends will be there, I'm not allowed to do much without some kind of supervision, for good reason.

But I will still be on the lookout for subjects for derrick's project. :huh2:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dtel said:

Leaving next week on a boat ride and to visit some islands

if you make it to either the island of Faial or Flores -- tell my relatives that i’m sorry that i haven’t written; but, they’re not forgotten.

Enjoy the boat ride -- the BEST form of travel EVER!  Maybe if you’re lucky you’ll encounter some heavy seas -- those are fun.

• Moderators

Rough seas would be great for me, not so much for the wife, and I would have a problem if many passengers would be sea sick, I can't deal with that. Seen some 30' seas on one trip it was amazing the ship moving back and forth, water splashing from all the pools. 

• Like 2

The bearing housing, bearings and shaft to the bell housing repair are back in the shop. The brazing and machining seems to have taken care of the vibrations (due to misalignment) in the machine, but the bearing housing is unhappy and running so hot that the grease runs out of the bottom and an egg can be fried on the top. I am alluding to talk about grease.

Before finishing the bell housing, I visited the job site to see what could have caused the cracks in such a massive cast housing. Although there was no bread crumb trail for the vibration, they did mention that they had just replaced the bearings (~$400 x 2 + labor) because the grease was oozing out and getting hot. Along with changing bearings, they change to a high temperature grease. I voiced caution about grease isn't just grease and to not use Moly grease on roller bearings. Sure enough they produced a tube of what they changed to - a Molybdenum disulfide base grease. 

Moly grease is great on sliding surfaces (ball joints, fithwheel plates, etc), but it's not for rolling type bearings (motor bearings, wheel bearings, etc..)  - just sayn' 

The picture is of a puller I threw together to pull the coupling off of the 4" shaft. 

20161103_174527.jpg

• Like 3

Dtel & Weber:  The shape of the fireplace was for radiant heat reflection and it did fit into a corner as well.  The sub frame is concrete blocks, the hearth is fire bricks, and the rest are face bricks all on the concrete slab/footer.  Putting on the concrete cap and side "shelves" today for a fire tonight.  Smores & shots.  Woohoo

CECAA850:  I think I let the cat out of the bag years ago doing projects like this.  Now the wife says we don't need a contractor "you can do it".

Don't have any pictures...  but today's project...  nothing audio related unless you count my neighbors hearing me cussing, audio!

My JCB backhoe/loader sprung a leak.  (it's a 1987 so it's got some ....ahem...maturity...)

Anyways, I noticed cooling fluid dripping under it.  Ugh...been there & done that about 10 years ago.

Over the last 3-4 days...  hook air up to inflate front tire (slow leak).  Bring car over for jumper cables (never has charged itself very well even though the alternator is 100%)

Get it running, drive it to field & park.

Get the tools....

Sitting on the front bucket, facing the engine, remove the front grill.

Next, is the hydraulic cooler.

By the way, all this is crammed in the nose of the engine and over time gets absolutely coated with oil from the various (slow) drips it might have)

It is a filthy mess to get in here.

Pull the hydraulic cooler off....next in line is the transmission cooler...yank it out.

Next in line, finally, is the radiator however, it's a real bugger to pull.  It's attached to the shroud so the whole assembly has to be twisted at a 22.40387 degree angle with a 10.384723 angle torque on it....to pull the bugger out.

I pulled the first two coolers out over the last 2 days, pulled the radiator out today.  Took about 90 minutes (and I've done it before so I know exactly how to do it)

pressure washed everything, including inside the nose of the machine.

Radiator & transmission coolers are now in trunk, going to shop this week.

On 10/31/2016 at 0:04 PM, dtel said:

Strange coincidence, where did you get the idea for that shape? :mellow:  Looks like it would fit in a corner nicely !

Very nice, should come in handy in the next few months

I thought it was an MWM monument...

• Like 1

We are four weeks into a kitchen remodel. Parts of it are great, others, not so much. Friday about noon I texted the contractor to ask if he would have the stove hooked back up before the weekend. At 1:30 he sends me a text back... "You will have to cal the gas company to get that done. They should be able to come out this afternoon and do it..."

No, not until this coming wednesday. He says he told me two weeks ago, but he didn't. Little bits of detail work were done stupid. I'm not expecting miracles, but he is getting where he wants his guy done and he is hurrying too much.

Here's the original... It had carpet (eeeew!)... The new is tile flooring...

New_01.jpg

Old_01.jpg

• Like 2