Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

3 hours ago, Islander said:

???  The SL-1210G, the whole SL-12XX series, and the SL-1000 are all direct drive.  Which belt-drive deck were you referring to?

1 hour ago, KROCK said:

Really? I didn't know ALL the 1200's series, were Direct Drive.🤣

https://vintagetechnics.audio/turntables.php

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, KROCK said:

Really? I didn't know ALL the 1200's series, were Direct Drive.🤣

Technics did make some belt drive turntables, but they were entry-level models.  All the SL-1200/1210, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700, and 1800 were direct drive.  The models from SL-1300 to SL-1800 were discontinued many years ago, but I don't know why.  I think the SL-1200/1210 models were higher-end, but that's referring to all the pre-2011 models.  No Technics turntables were produced between 2010 and 2016.  The current series came out in 2016, and they're years ahead of all the old series, as you would expect.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Islander said:

You needed a heavier head shell?  You youngsters today are so picky.  Back when I was young, we'd just tape a heavy coin or two to the head shell.  No skipping then.  And we liked it!

🤣, so true , as we were youngsters we didn´t took care about it because of missing aknowledgement , we didn´t knew so much things at that time , no we´re adult and learned a lot , so we know how to handle these things in order to do it right today .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Islander said:

Technics did make some belt drive turntables, but they were entry-level models.  All the SL-1200/1210, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700, and 1800 were direct drive.  The models from SL-1300 to SL-1800 were discontinued many years ago, but I don't know why.  I think the SL-1200/1210 models were higher-end, but that's referring to all the pre-2011 models.  No Technics turntables were produced between 2010 and 2016.  

The current series came out in 2016, and they're years ahead of all the old series, as you would expect.

So true, but for some reason which I can't really explain I'm just not quite ready to swap my "vintage" TT that I've owned from Day 1 for a newer version...

1400mkII.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This official release double album was played over 2 nights 

And every bit was worth it 

Artist - Ten Years After 

Title - Recorded Live 

Notes - This album is a truthful recording of Ten Years After with no overdubs or additives. What you hear is what happened on the night. Recorded over four nights in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Frankfurt and Paris with the Rolling Stones mobile recording truck and later mixed from sixteen track to stereo at Olympic Studios in London"

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/10773488-Ten-Years-After-Ten-Years-After-Recorded-Live

IMG-4718.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Still my favorite anime OST, Yoko Kano & The Seatbelts:

PXL_20231107_210018018.thumb.jpg.27b5251dfc3acb36187f04ccbf0b8663.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/release/16328898-Seatbelts-Cowboy-Bebop-Original-Series-Soundtrack

I recognized that you spun so much one colored vinyl w/in the last few month , time for a three color lp 😁

Coloured_Vinyl_Bob_Marley.JPG.a90ced93e8fa10d47bd2c7a73d6d00a5.JPG

• Like 6

On 11/6/2023 at 8:58 AM, scalawag said:

1400mkII.jpeg

The SL-1400 MK. 2 is a beautiful turntable.  That was my first Technics deck, and I liked it, especially the rosewood trim.  However, it was showing its age (1978), with a ticking sound as the platter spun, plus the controls were feeling sticky.  I got one of the last 2010 SL-1210M5G turntables (had to buy it from a music shop in Calgary), and I'm glad I did.

Of course, it came without a cartridge, so I just took the headshell off the 1400, complete with Shure M97xE cart, and popped it on.  Then I took the thick Platter Matter mat off the 1400 and replaced the thin rubber mat that came with the M5G.  It was simple to raise the tonearm height to correct for the much thicker Platter Matter, and it was time to spin a disc.

I expected to get rid of the slight ticking noise, and the controls felt like they were brand new, which they were, of course.  That was about the extent of my expectations.  However, it was immediately obvious that this was an upgrade.  Maybe it was the improved tonearm wiring.  The bass was more solid, and somehow I could hear the music more clearly.  It wasn't a day and night difference, but it was not hard to notice.  I was pretty surprised, considering that everything that was touching the LP was straight off the 1400 MK 2, from the stylus on the top to the mat underneath.

And yet there was no doubt it was an upgrade.  I'd expect that if I replaced the M5G with a new SL-1210G, there would be another step up in fidelity, bringing me that much closer to the music.  However, I don't spin LPs that often, so it would be a lot of money for a small return.  There has to be some financial common sense, right?  Of course, any non-hi-fi buddies wold think that common sense disappeared years ago, lol.  The turntable would look better with the silver-coloured headshell that it came with, so I packed up the turntable and took it to Sound Hounds, where they happily swapped the M97xE onto the new headshell, and then did a precision alignment for me.  That was in late 2010, and the turntable still looks, feels, and sounds like it's brand new.  I've changed the stylus once or twice, and that's been it for maintenance, apart from dusting it.

Here's something:  Of course, a stylus wears and needs to be replaced periodically, but I've heard that the magnets in a stylus can sometimes lose their magnetism over the years, even if the stylus itself is still fine, meaning it should be replaced.  Has anyone else heard this?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As I mentioned a couple of days ago ...New Cart in da house  😁 ....Grace F8-E . Have it in operation since approx. 2 hours ,

Can't write much about it yet ..except ....fascinatingly elegant, beautiful spatial resolution, clean FQ in the entire spectrum, absolutely authentic

GraceF8E1.thumb.jpg.c7b6f7b31a510ff994c37486b505a3a0.jpg

GraceF8E2.thumb.jpg.70c3af9468c54cfc6aaa80b778a8d8e8.jpg

• Like 7