Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Brac

What I Got Today!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

That’s why i got rid of my BMW 528 -- funny, right before i logged onto the forum just now, i was thinking “i wish i would have kept the BMW."

 

One  of my riding buds was once a manufacturers rep for BMW and saw the myriad of problems associated with newer BMW's. he said he "would never" own one without a warranty to fall back on. It's funny that I drove BM's from the late '70's when no one had a clue what the helll they were until the mid-90's. I experienced very few problems in those years. 

He tells a great story that I can relate to as I worked for a German company most me career where the first big 7 Series coming to the states had constant complaints about inadequate AC. Of course the Germans knew better that there were no issues, all was perfectly designed. (My companies engineers best comments was " we've never seen this before"). So when a group BM managers were heading to the States landing in Houston the local rep had their 7 Series waiting in the lot for them. A black on black, parked early in the morning for their afternoon arrival, in the summer heat, Houston rush hour traffic. After sweating their German balls off, the car never cooling, the AC received a new design. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2017 at 7:08 PM, richieb said:

 

One  of my riding buds was once a manufacturers rep for BMW and saw the myriad of problems associated with newer BMW's. he said he "would never" own one without a warranty to fall back on. It's funny that I drove BM's from the late '70's when no one had a clue what the helll they were until the mid-90's. I experienced very few problems in those years. 

He tells a great story that I can relate to as I worked for a German company most me career where the first big 7 Series coming to the states had constant complaints about inadequate AC. Of course the Germans knew better that there were no issues, all was perfectly designed. (My companies engineers best comments was " we've never seen this before"). So when a group BM managers were heading to the States landing in Houston the local rep had their 7 Series waiting in the lot for them. A black on black, parked early in the morning for their afternoon arrival, in the summer heat, Houston rush hour traffic. After sweating their German balls off, the car never cooling, the AC received a new design. 

Mine was a 2010 ... did have to put a new transmission in and the “brain” center (not sure what that electronic thing is called that controls ... everything).  But, all covered under the warranty. Actually, the brain fried while they were replacing the tranny. I did like the car though.

My nephew has a 7-series and has had a great deal of problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our newest is a 2003.  That and the 2000  are quite reliable.  We have driven an 88 and an 80 with good results too, so where exactly is the cutoff?  I'm curious for my next purchase, in case it is another bmw.  In the DFW area of Texas, bmw's were known and loved way back to the 70's, so it makes me wonder just how backward of a place you live in Richie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Our newest is a 2003.  That and the 2000  are quite reliable.  We have driven an 88 and an 80 with good results too, so where exactly is the cutoff?  I'm curious for my next purchase, in case it is another bmw.  In the DFW area of Texas, bmw's were known and loved way back to the 70's, so it makes me wonder just how backward of a place you live in Richie?

 

I wasn't around in the 70's, but I've owned a couple of 2002's.. 1971 and 1976 year models. There's still a pretty active 2002 crowd in DFW, as well as down south in Houston, San Antonio, and Austin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2002 was bmw's answer to the original sport sedan, the Alfa romeo gtv.  I like them both, but given the choice would take a gtv in good shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Our newest is a 2003.  That and the 2000  are quite reliable.  We have driven an 88 and an 80 with good results too, so where exactly is the cutoff?  I'm curious for my next purchase, in case it is another bmw.  In the DFW area of Texas, bmw's were known and loved way back to the 70's, so it makes me wonder just how backward of a place you live in Richie?

 

KC - and yes we have indoor plumbing?!

Owned a 2002 and 2002tii / 320i / 2800 / 528i / 535i

Bikes - R75/6 / R100S / K1200RS / R1200ST / currently K1600GT

 

Once BWW cars became as common as Accords I gave up on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, richieb said:

KC - and yes we have indoor plumbing?!

Wow.  I learn something new every day.  Now answer the question about where the line is regarding recent models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Wow.  I learn something new every day.  Now answer the question about where the line is regarding recent models.

 

Since my buddy left BMW for a job with Subaru some time ago I'm kinda guessing here but the early 2000's is where QC started to decline. I know the friends I made in Germany through work, many of them engineers and/or technicians, always thought it funny with all the "trendy" 3 series cars in the US, taxis for them. Nearly all of them drove Audi or MB with little praise for BM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richieb said:

 

Since my buddy left BMW for a job with Subaru some time ago I'm kinda guessing here but the early 2000's is where QC started to decline. I know the friends I made in Germany through work, many of them engineers and/or technicians, always thought it funny with all the "trendy" 3 series cars in the US, taxis for them. Nearly all of them drove Audi or MB with little praise for BM. 

Models definitely varied by region.  Audis and mercs in the US especially in the past define boring.  German cars leaned heavily to diesels.  Apples and oranges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mercedes stopped selling cars with manual transmissions back in the 80's, in the US.  No driver took them seriously.  They were doctor's wives cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Mercedes stopped selling cars with manual transmissions back in the 80's.  No driver took them seriously.  

 

Each of the BM 's I listed were, as we used to say "stick shifts". I believe the 535 was a 1985-87. One of the fastest sedans available in its time. The brand, at least around here became such a status symbol to own a "Bimmer" I couldn't get away fast enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually got this last month, but never posted. 2017 Honda civic si829b76d60aba24c211d623ed63609f8c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

please nobody say they drive a 1 series.

 

No but if I were to get back into the Brand I would look look hard at a M2 or M240. Pretty cool machines but still without the panache of older M3's with a V8 engine. If you want a performance car we had better go for the gusto now as CAFE standards will neuter the driving experience in less than 10 years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, richieb said:

The brand, at least around here became such a status symbol to own a "Bimmer" I couldn't get away fast enough.

i lived in Orange County for a great many years. BMWs and Mercedes are so common. I even saw a lime green Bentley once on my drive home. 

Right after I got my 528, a friend from Indy said, “Now you can cruise Hollywood Blvd and pick up some ladies.”  I told him, “there is nothing special about this car around here. Every other car on the road is a BMW or Mercedes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i lived in Orange County for a great many years. BMWs and Mercedes are so common. I even saw a lime green Bentley once on my drive home. 

Right after I got my 528, a friend from Indy said, “Now you can cruise Hollywood Blvd and pick up some ladies.”  I told him, “there is nothing special about this car around here. Every other car on the road is a BMW or Mercedes.

Yeah, not really any status symbol here either.  But Texans spend a lot of time in their cars and put a lot of miles on them.  Those who enjoy driving naturally gravitated to cars that go where you point them, and handle better than a boat.  Mercedes have always been doctor's wives kind of cars here.  Most used ones even tout that---"doctor's wife car" only driven to the country club once a day---low miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, richieb said:

If you want a performance car we had better go for the gusto now as CAFE standards will neuter the driving experience in less than 10 years

Get an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio---fastest four door sedan around Nurburgring ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Yeah, not really any status symbol here either.  But Texans spend a lot of time in their cars and put a lot of miles on them.  Those who enjoy driving naturally gravitated to cars that go where you point them, and handle better than a boat.  Mercedes have always been doctor's wives kind of cars here.  Most used ones even tout that---"doctor's wife car" only driven to the country club once a day---low miles.

I’d own another one ... i really liked the 2010 528 that i had. Very comfortable ride and to drive. Far better gas mileage than the 2015 Flex that i’m driving around now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Get an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio---fastest four door sedan around Nurburgring ever.

 

Although I haven't checked Mama Google yet sumpin ' tells me that the words Alfa Romeo with a bunch of spaghetti hangin' around behind it will be quite $$$$?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...