Klipsch Jubilees and Roy's brand new Xilica Settings

Trentster5172

• 4 years later...
On 11/16/2017 at 9:31 AM, Chris A said:

In everything that I see people spending any effort on, if they have a choice in the matter, it's usually dissatisfaction that drives all of their activities.  Satisfied people usually spend their time on other things that they''re not satisfied with.

So in your quoted sentence above, you identify some fraction of your music that you find "unlistenable".  My percentage of late of "marginally listenable" recordings now is more like 95-99% for CDs (...I don't bother with phonographs nowadays, for the reason given below...).  Multichannel discs, like SACDs, DVD-As, and BDs usually are very good right out of the sleeve.  It's the people and their culture doing two-channel CDs and vinyl which seems to be the issue--not the loudspeakers or the other electronics, etc.

So in typical fashion, when I found a way to address my dissatisfaction with what I was listening to on CDs, I started to correct the tracks (using freeware).  The results were spectacular (to my ears...on the dialed-in Jubs).  So I kept fixing all my CD music tracks.  All the fixed CD tracks blow away any of the phonograph record versions now...and I mean "blow them away" emphatically.  I really can't listen to the distribution vinyl discs or CDs anymore.

I'm still fixing CDs--all those "old" CDs from 15+ years ago.  They are actually diamonds-in-the-rough (and I know that you've probably read about some of these findings, so I'll stop here).  Now I've got a pair of USB HDs that I keep my edited tracks on (one is for backup and the garage system) since I've fixed over 10K tracks to date.  I don't listen to the original CDs, only the demastered flac files.  If you were here listening with me, I know that you'd prefer the fixed versions by a wide margin, too.  It's not close.  Now, the only tracks that I don't like listening to are the ones from the 60s and early 70s that the recording quality was trashed when they were recorded.  But even those are now interesting to hear from time to time--albeit in fixed format. 

So Jubilees aren't the issue--they're actually the enablers.  They enabled me to finally hear my favorite music tracks with all that extra "mastering" largely subtracted from the equation.  My wife has actually cried while listening to her old favorites now freed from their "one size fits all" mastering shackles that she's lived with during her entire lifetime.  I have to say that I'm still amazed by what I hear each time I listen to them.

Chris

This is kind of what scares me about buying the kit Cory sells to put on my khorn bottoms. Like you said alot of your music did not sound very good through the k402 horns. I am worried that I would have that same issue!!! 

Your thoughts are welcome....

4 hours ago, jcmusic said:

This is kind of what scares me about buying the kit Cory sells to put on my khorn bottoms. Like you said alot of your music did not sound very good through the k402 horns. I am worried that I would have that same issue!!! 

“the kit Cory sells to put on my khorn bottoms”

What, what, what?!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

Dis one?

Well...  I didn't think about that.

"right now", I can't open it.  I was thinking of a PDF where I'd manually enter data!

That said, it sure has the name I'm looking for!  I'll have to give it a whirl, I appreciate that!

When I replaced my DX-38 with the Xilica, the values don't purely swap over as I recall.  You had to do some kind of conversion as they use different processes.  I've always been dubious as to how accurately I changed the data over.

Sounds nice....  but there's that ever lingering "did I do it accurately??"

And I think the transposing of the settings from EV to Xilica had to do with the fact that one uses 'bandwidth" and the other 'Q' for the slope of the parametric filter settings. So yes there is a mathematical conversion that needs to occur.

9 hours ago, LTusler said:

I assume you know that is a file you load into the Xilica?  

Not at first as I was expecting a PDF.  Didn't work so suspected and looked back and saw the .xdat and immediately realized he snookered me!

I have all the EV settings in PDF format (as well as the electronic file) and just presumed.  First mistake.

Trusting that babadono wasn't out to snooker me.....second mistake.  :emotion-14:

:emotion-21:

On 8/27/2023 at 10:43 AM, jcmusic said:

There isn't a Kit, there are no more Xilicas available and without a suitable DSP your timing issues will be massive, but there is a 402/691 replacement available.

16 hours ago, Coytee said:

Sooooooooo, does someone have the Zilica profile they can post/send so that others might have access to it?  Also, I'm presuming it was profiled using the K--691 driver?

Yes and Yes

I've been following the "re-animation" of this thread and I think I can help with some of this.  I had saved some of the documents with DSP settings for the Underground Jubilee and the JubScala with K402/K-691 driver from this forum.  I also have a settings document for the UG Jubilee with the TAD 4002.  I'm not sure how current they are since I stupidly didn't document from which forum threads I had saved them.  All of these have the PEQ settings defined in terms of Q instead of bandwidth.  I will provide help with converting these Q values to Xilica Bandwidth numbers below.  Finally, I took the Xilica XDAT file posted earlier (Cory_master jubilee-both channels.xdat), imported it into XConsole, and took screenshots of all the settings so that there is a "human-readable" document of them.  The settings in the XDAT match up quite closely (but not exactly in some cases) with the PDF document with the exception of the 32 Hz bass boost which has a larger Q in the XDAT.  All of these are attached.

With respect to converting Q values to Bandwidth values, there are a number of calculators on the internet such as this one: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm.  However, to make it even easier than plugging one number at a time into a web calculator, I used the calculation methods from this page (https://www.astralsound.com/parametric-eq.htm) to create Microsoft Excel formulas.  That way you can do the conversions in bulk in a spreadsheet.

To Convert Q to Bandwidth in Excel (replace A1 with the cell location containing the Q value)
=(LOG((2*(A1^2)+1)/(2*(A1^2))+SQRT(((((2*(A1^2)+1)/(A1^2))^2)/4)-1)))/LOG(2)

To Convert Bandwidth to Q in Excel (replace A1 with the cell location containing the Bandwidth value)
=(SQRT(2^A1))/((2^A1) - 1)

KPT-KHJ-KF AND K-402-hf with k-691.pdf LS AND K-402-hf with k-691.pdf Klipsch Jubilee-TAD 4002 - EV Dx38 Settings 2 Oct 2014 (1).pdf Cory_master jubilee-Xconsole_screenshots.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 2:36 PM, babadono said:

@mikebse2a3 where are the human readable settings? Seems like they should be easier to locate. Perhaps we could "pin" them somewheres....

Yes it seems that they have been scattered around the forum from time to time and maybe they can be gathered again and pinned somewhere if Roy is OK with that.

I also caution everyone that not all Manufactures DSP respond exactly the same to the same settings and should be taken into account when transferring settings made on one brand/model into a different brand/model. 

For example the EV DX38 and EV DC-One respond exactly the same to the same settings but settings derived on them will not directly transfer to the Xilica models which require different parameters for the Shelv Filters to have an equivalent output signals desired.

miketn

• Like 1