Preamp Owners....What Are You Using?

Youthman

50 minutes ago, Schu said:

I have been thinking about try a fully resistor relay passive pre.... how is the wyred?

That pass b1 is an analog crossover control is it not?

- B1 is Not a crossover control, buffered passive only with twin volume pots. If memory serves you might be referring to the B4?

- For precise volume control a resistor ladder is one with the least influence on signal and most transparent, .5db steps. Have a look at the build on these things,, more capacitance than most power amps, Dale copper lead resistors, etc. I was hesitant in that it operates as a passive/active and you know passives have been known to take the steam out of drive to the amps. After a couple weeks I can tell you there ain't nothing passive about this thing other than its absolute quiet transparency. 

I'll bend your ear a bit too - I recently sold the Hypex nCores and turned right around and bought a pair of Wyred mAmps, latest generation of ICE powered Class D with Wyreds Class A FET input design. So as I type I'm listening to a full Wyred rig on Jubes. I almost wish I had the STP before I sold the nCores but I find virtually zero difference between the nCores and Wyred. And to that I think that with the STP now in the mix it sounds better than did the nCores. The Wyred gear is far better than I was willing to give it credit for and made the Jubes  animals with a turn of the loud handle and crisp, deep and full when coasting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

- B1 is Not a crossover control, buffered passive only with twin volume pots. If memory serves you might be referring to the B4?

- For precise volume control a resistor ladder is one with the least influence on signal and most transparent, .5db steps. Have a look at the build on these things,, more capacitance than most power amps, Dale copper lead resistors, etc. I was hesitant in that it operates as a passive/active and you know passives have been known to take the steam out of drive to the amps. After a couple weeks I can tell you there ain't nothing passive about this thing other than its absolute quiet transparency. 

I'll bend your ear a bit too - I recently sold the Hypex nCores and turned right around and bought a pair of Wyred mAmps, latest generation of ICE powered Class D with Wyreds Class A FET input design. So as I type I'm listening to a full Wyred rig on Jubes. I almost wish I had the STP before I sold the nCores but I find virtually zero difference between the nCores and Wyred. And to that I think that with the STP now in the mix it sounds better than did the nCores. The Wyred gear is far better than I was willing to give it credit for and made the Jubes  animals with a turn of the loud handle and crisp, deep and full when coasting. 

Very nice... I have been watching mAmp wyreds for a few months to complete the rest of my 5.1, nice to hear they sound great even with Jubilees. They seem to have come down in price and it's about time to find one for the center channel.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Youthman said:

Just curious if an Emotiva XDA-1 would be an upgrade to my HK3490 or would I even hear a difference?

I have no idea, but if you want I can send you a XDA-1 and you can try it out ? I'm not looking to sell it but not using it right now and you could try it out for a while, it's up to you. :)

You do know what is has for inputs and outputs right, check it out and let me know.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, dtel said:

I have no idea, but if you want I can send you a XDA-1 and you can try it out ? I'm not looking to sell it but not using it right now and you could try it out for a while, it's up to you. :)

You do know what is has for inputs and outputs right, check it out and let me know.

Thanks for the offer Eldon.  I’m thinking if I bought the one for $132 shipped, if I don’t like it, I can list it on Ebay and get what I have back in it since they have been selling between $150 and $200.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, dtel said:

I assumed it was a typical prepro.  Looks like I would need to buy XLR to 1/4” adapters for my amp but The one thing that might be an issue is I’m not seeing any analog inputs.  They only input I have hooked up currently it’s from the Apple airport express and it only has a 3.5 mm analog output so I would need standard RCA analog inputs on the XDA-1.  I see two inputs called CO1 and CO2 but am not sure what those are.  I’m guessing they are Digital Coax.  So the XDA-1 might not work for my application.

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Quite a generous offer Eldon. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Youthman said:

Thanks for the offer Eldon.  I’m thinking if I bought the one for $132 shipped, if I don’t like it, I can list it on Ebay and get what I have back in it since they have been selling between $150 and $200.  

That's what I did a couple of years ago, $140 shipped and it had well over a years warranty left on it. 

4 hours ago, Youthman said:
8 hours ago, dtel said:

I assumed it was a typical prepro.  Looks like I would need to buy XLR to 1/4” adapters for my amp but The one thing that might be an issue is I’m not seeing any analog inputs.  They only input I have hooked up currently it’s from the Apple airport express and it only has a 3.5 mm analog output so I would need standard RCA analog inputs on the XDA-1.  I see two inputs called CO1 and CO2 but am not sure what those are.  I’m guessing they are Digital Coax.  So the XDA-1 might not work for my application.

Your right coax, I used XLR because the DX crossover had XLR, plus I used the RCA out to connect the sub, they both work at the same time. 

But you're right NO analog inputs. You can connect using the Coax but if the signal does not match it just makes a clicking sound, so you can't cheat using the Coax to connect as you would as a RCA cable, different signal but same as RCA connection.  

I used the XDA-1 for a few years and it sounded really good, I guess in other worse it had no sound ? I only switched last week when I went back to a AVR for a pre amp to make connecting things easier. My first AVR didn't sound very good so I tried the XDA which was much better just limited with input connections.  The latest AVR sounds as good as the XDA and is easy to connect almost anything so I'm happy.

21 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Quite a generous offer Eldon. 

Not a big deal, like many here I am always looking for a cheaper way to get the most out of this stuff (not by choice) so anytime you can try something before spending money it helps. Anyway so many here have helped me along the way if it's something I can do I try.

1 hour ago, moray james said:

I want to try the Khozmo stepped attenuators...

64steps_khozmo.jpg

one can request Vishay Zfoil series resistor or akman REX shunt resistors, and pricing seems extremely affordable. No remote of course :P