Crites vs ALK crossovers

Tony T

Regarding best money spent, which is the best way to go? It's obvious Crites is less money. Is a person getting a better product while paying the higher price at ALK? 

In short, which of the two is a person actually "getting what they paid for" in value?

6 minutes ago, Tony T said:

It's obvious Crites is less money. Is a person getting a better product while paying the higher price at ALK? 

In my experience, no.

6 minutes ago, Tony T said:

In short, which of the two is a person actually "getting what they paid for" in value?

Bob Crites

• Like 2

Anything can be compared- objectively and subjectively. 

The problem with this hobby, like many others - is that someone else’s opinion doesn’t tell you what you will actually prefer - you have to experience it for yourself.  

• Like 8

I agree all of our ears do not hear reproduction equally. I'm a music listener and welcome the very best reproduction possible! That's really all there is to it. Seems to me there should be an  opinion regarding finer quality differences. But then again, not everyone out there has 1 pair of both makers' boards in their Khorns to be able to switch back n' forth to accurately and definitively determine for themselves. Hmm

Some have reported a larger sound stage with the ALK universal network which is still available as i just email AL a few days ago about it, but these are about $100 more than the Crites networks.    AL recommended the AP-12/A5800 extreme slope for cornwall.  That combo is very pricey and need to work together.    I just ordered the B3's from Bob Crites for my vertical CW's.

• Moderators
On 2/2/2018 at 8:35 PM, Deang said:

Anything can be compared- objectively and subjectively. 

The problem with this hobby, like many others - is that someone else’s opinion doesn’t tell you what you will actually prefer - you have to experience it for yourself.  

Smartest thing anybody has ever said on this forum.

A second choice is lucking into an audio friend who has very similar preferences as you do and getting their opinion.  (Like a movie critic you agree with 95 percent of the time).

Third school of thought is they are purists and don't want to mess with original design and purchase rebuild kit from Klipsch.

• Like 1

Not sure which crossovers you were talking about?  Al's Universals cost $320 and Bob's AA's cost $310.

I just bought a set of type A from Bob.  Happy with the build and trying to make time to get them installed.  Would have loved to have a few trial sets to see which one would work best for my type of music and room.  Gonna keep the old AL and see if I can do the conversion as described in another thread to build a AA just for kicks.

olomana

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Smartest thing anybody has ever said on this forum.

Nah. 

Too bad people only remember the stupid stuff I say. :-)

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Third school of thought is they are purists and don't want to mess with original design and purchase rebuild kit from Klipsch.

Klipsch doesn’t sell rebuild kits. Hell, I can’t even get a pair of replacement horns for my LaScalas. 

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Deang said:

Nah. 

Klipsch doesn’t sell rebuild kits. Hell, I can’t even get a pair of replacement horns for my LaScalas. 

I think they do, and I think they even offer rebuild services.

Travis

I think the big question is, do you want adjustability?    Adjustability comes locked @ or around 8 ohms I think with Al's.   Bob's will be the closest thing to stock and your power source will be not be seeing 8 ohms at a constant. Higher ohm readings were liked by the man himself.   Some say the shunted topo knocks the dynamics down a bit, but it may just be an ongoing debate among few.    Dean or others care to  go in to this?

If you are wanting to try various horns or drivers you would likely want the adjustability of the ALK's.  

To ask which is the better "value" is like asking what flavor of soda is the better value... grape or root beer?  Try 'em both see what you like best.   Sell your 2nd choice here.   If you wait, you will eventually find them for sale here.  To me, that is the best spent money. 

On February 5, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Deang said:

Nah. 

--- oh yeah - I remember - that Was stupid ?!?

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Whaaaaaat?  When did this start?

I'm not sure.

Maybe @Chief bonehead can chime in and tell us.

I'm also pretty sure they offer rebuild kits if you want to do it yourself and keep it "stock."  Again, I'm not sure what they currently offer.  

Travis