Bifocal lens vs Progressive lens

bkwa1959

I use progressives and love them. All the benefit of bifocals without lines and cuts to the lenses.

There is a weird progression to the other grind (it's not really a grind) but there is no distortion.

When you get them, just make sure your primary lenses is in a comfortable place on the lenses so you are not having to dip your head to get to the "distance" portion of the lenses... the "up close" placement is slightly less critical.

Get'em

Ps... I though no progressives are slightly more expensive.

• Like 1

I used lined bifocals for years, thinking the progressives would cause me to miss a step off the side of a locomotive. After I retired I finally bought progressives. After 5 years I still haven't got used to them. Speaking to a few of those people that urged me to buy progressives, they shrug and say some people never get used to them. I'm one of those.

The lines make no difference in use. If you have to adjust your head to get the right magnification, you'll have to do the same with progressives.

Good luck deciding.

Keith

Humor aside, I have a horse in this race.  I had my lenses replaced a couple of years ago and my distance is 20/20.  But beginning about 4 feet it deteriorates rapidly.  My reading correction is a 2.0 diopter.  I have searched far and wide for a simple 2.0 diopter to no correction lens.  Closest I've found is a Foster Grant multifocus that goes from 2.0  to .5.  Useful to some degree, but not a real solution.  Hate to pay to have some made, but unless someone in the biz wakes up to the obvious I may have to.

Dave

My experience with 40 years of wearing glasses is as follows:

Progressives are the way to go. They are way better than just losing the lines. The progressive power of the lenses make them much better than bi or tri-focal. Far vision prescription at the top progressing to reading glasses at the bottom. Once your brain gets programmed to wearing them (doesn't take but a couple hours maybe), you'll love them. The last pair I ordered online too.

9 hours ago, bkwa1959 said:

Thanks, I am looking at glasses from Costco and I am thinking about ordering a pair online,has anyone ordered glasses online

Virtually all progressive lens failures result from optical measurement errors (assuming that the doc didn't mess up the Rx).  Even being off by 1 mm can destroy the operation of the lenses.  You don't want to order these online!  In addition, there are many different types of progressives which offer different features- for example, some have wider reading corridors which can be helpful if a person sits in front of a screen all day and wants to scan side to side with minimal head movement.  It's imperative that you discuss your visual needs with the optometrist or optician and let them guide you into an appropriate lens.  Also, frame selection is critical.  Many frame styles are extremely short vertically (say 20-25 mm high) which makes proper operation of progressives difficult.  Although there are lens choices which claim to be suitable for such frames it usually doesn't work out- the transition zone from intermediate distances to near can be extremely tiny and, often, the full reading prescription gets cut off at the bottom.  Frames which are at least 30 mm high usually work best.  Lastly, when measurements are taken, be sure to place the frame in the exact position in which you will wear it (as opposed to letting the doc or optician place it "correctly"), and also hold your head in its usual posture.  Again, folks are often told to hold their head perfectly erect for the measurements when their usual position is slightly chin up or down.

Maynard

I tried progressive and they were ok to a point but the lenses weren't done right and my distance view was minimal. I gave them a solid month of trying to get used to them but couldn't. I hated not having good peripheral vision especially at stop signs; looking both directions were too much of a challenge and was fairly dangerous.  So, I went back to regular lenses and I just lift them up or take them off when I need to see close. Everyone is different.  

I use progressive lenses with no problem with one big exception.

I do a lot of bike riding and running (triathlete). I do not recommend using them for that, I have bifocal sunglasses I wear instead.  It seems like it is too easy to misjudge distances when traveling fast, though never an issue when driving. I think it is a head angle thing.

I also don't like them when playing trombone, again an angle issue.

Costco lenses are great by the way, and cheap.

Maynard's take on ordering online is interesting. I have ordered 3 pair online including a pair of progressive sunglasses.

My eye doc. orders the glasses online with the same prescription too, so what's the difference? I have been very happy with my experience.

2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Virtually all progressive lens failures result from optical measurement errors (assuming that the doc didn't mess up the Rx).  Even being off by 1 mm can destroy the operation of the lenses.  You don't want to order these online!  In addition, there are many different types of progressives which offer different features- for example, some have wider reading corridors which can be helpful if a person sits in front of a screen all day and wants to scan side to side with minimal head movement.  It's imperative that you discuss your visual needs with the optometrist or optician and let them guide you into an appropriate lens.  Also, frame selection is critical.  Many frame styles are extremely short vertically (say 20-25 mm high) which makes proper operation of progressives difficult.  Although there are lens choices which claim to be suitable for such frames it usually doesn't work out- the transition zone from intermediate distances to near can be extremely tiny and, often, the full reading prescription gets cut off at the bottom.  Frames which are at least 30 mm high usually work best.  Lastly, when measurements are taken, be sure to place the frame in the exact position in which you will wear it (as opposed to letting the doc or optician place it "correctly"), and also hold your head in its usual posture.  Again, folks are often told to hold their head perfectly erect for the measurements when their usual position is slightly chin up or down.

Maynard

Listen to Maynard's advice. He is spot on.

There is not a "single" progressive. Even if you do go online, first talk to an optician about the different options. It took me several tries before I found one with a good sweet spot and sufficinet intermediate area. Everyone is different.

God luck

4 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Maynard's take on ordering online is interesting. I have ordered 3 pair online including a pair of progressive sunglasses.

My eye doc. orders the glasses online with the same prescription too, so what's the difference? I have been very happy with my experience.

The prescription usually does not show the Pupillary Distance (PD). If you have a strong prescription, an error in PD can be a real problem.

Depending on the style of progressive and the vertical distance of the lens, the Seg Height can also be a headache.

Before my lens replacement, I wore progressive trifocals and they were excellent.  Never gave it any thought after a year or so as I learned to adjust my view automatically.  That's why I am jonsin' for a +2 to zero pair of reading glasses.  The multifocals I purchased now reside in the car, as when distance driving I can put them on if I need to read a text or something on my phone I'm still able to see the road clearly, though with a bit of fuzz, through the +.5 upper area.  But I'd be happier with zero in the upper half.

Dave

13 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I keep about 10 pair of cheapo 1.5 plastic glasses around different spots in the house and workshop for closeup work. Anything else I take them off. I guess you could call them "Manual Bifocals."

JJK

That's me...but I get tired of "on/off, on/off" and while it's great to be able to drive and such without glasses, I sort of miss the trifocals in that I never had to take them off.  

Dave

1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

Yes it does with progressive lenses. It has to. No way around that.

Let's be clear.

When your eyes are measured by an ophthalmologist or optometrist, they will provide the spherical, axis, etc. The PD is seldom on that prescription. When you take that script to the optical shop, they will help you find frames. Once you have committed, then they will measure your PD.

Yes, the PD along with the script is required to make the eyeglasses. 

They are reluctant to let you know what your PD is since you can avoid the optical shop and go and order online where the prices are much cheaper. If you were fortunate enough to be given your PD, then you are lucky. However that is not typical.