March For Our Lives

jimjimbo

45 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

There seems to be one common denominator..........mental illness.

How do you fix that?

You can't. Although I agree the mental illness aspect should be considered, but not all gun deaths are caused by people with mental illness...Then comes to how do you define 'mental illness' and at what point to start addressing it with tax payers money--I contend it would be hard to come with the funds or political motivation from either side. Otoh, there is the access to gun issues that can be addressed and people do want to see Government officials respond. Those that don't agree have a right to express their opinion as well but I do think the USA is going in the direction of addressing the issue of gun violence/gun deaths and of course they need to keep the 2nd Amendment in mind. 

56 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, what one considers "irrational" is another persons free speech and something my father taught me was to put yourself in the other person's shoes if you want to learn something....Just sayin'. 

Utopia is unattainable.  We have the now and what will work and what wont work.  Marching is great for pushing a cause that will rarely materialize.   Lets live in the now, shall we?

26 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Utopia is unattainable.  We have the now and what will work and what wont work.  Marching is great for pushing a cause that will rarely materialize.   Lets live in the now, shall we?

Again, if you are talking about an unattainable "Utopia" I agree but just imagine the wonderment of folks living 200+ years ago and the strides we have made in other fields and way of life. They would definitely consider it Utopia and most wouldn't give guns a second thought, given they no longer needed to hunt. I also  happen to think living "in the here and now," rational gun laws can be attained and if mental health issues are important, thinking folks will keep karma going in that direction....I won't admit to being an optimist but a Realist I will cop to. 

24 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Again, if you are talking about an unattainable "Utopia" I agree but just imagine the wonderment of folks living 200+ years ago and the strides we have made in other fields and way of life. They would definitely consider it Utopia and most wouldn't give guns a second thought, given they no longer needed to hunt. I also  happen to think living "in the here and now," rational gun laws can be attained and if mental health issues are important, thinking folks will keep karma going in that direction....I won't admit to being an optimist but a Realist I will cop to. 

I think I get your direction, but you have to realize what will work and what isn't going to work.   We have lots of laws on many things very similar to guns and they're worthless.  You want Heroin, you get it.  If you can physically ask for a gun on the street, you can get one, no matter age or mental fitness involved.   These strides you talk about I would agree in some areas like Medicine and what not, but other areas have taken a sharp turn south in social activity. We talk less face to face, even in business. We want Taj Mahal service at McDonalds pricing. We have zero accountability and everything is someone else's fault.  Its just where we are.  Now we demand that someone pays for our health care,  just not us. Some how we have a bottomless bowl to fill with people just showing up here that demand all the free stuff our tax dollars will provide.   Guns, Drugs and all the bad stuff will all be here no matter what laws you push for.  Remember the concert in France?  wait, aren't guns extremely regulated in France?   Didn't help that crowd or some of the band members.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

rational gun laws can be attained

We have rational gun laws.  We also have irrational people that really don't care about gun laws.  We have laws on the books forbidding murder but that really doesn't stop the determined.  Pass all the laws you want, it won't change anything.  Prisons are full of people that have been convicted of breaking one law or another.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ya'll can talk till the cows come home.

The conversation ends when you call me a kid killer.

These mentally deranged people have zero credibility with me.

Everyone has a right to protest and we defend that right.

That right is a constitutional right just like my rights.

I won't take your right to free speech and you leave me alone.

I'm a law abiding citizen who believes in liberty and The Constitution.

When you raise the clinched fist of communism and wave the flag

of another country--we might not be countrymen anymore.

It's on them---not me. I am an American.

NRA MEMBER.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

If there were no guns on earth do you think we would still have a problem of mass killings?

Timothy McVeigh didn't have a problem killing 600+ with fertilizer.  Rented Home Depot trucks are handy for running down pedestrians if that is your agenda.  It's a people problem not a tool problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Apparently the NRA is more than just American:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nra-confirms-that-it-accepts-foreign-donations/ar-BBKMmol?ocid=spartanntp

I support the Bill of Rights as much as anyone, but lobbyists of all types are part of the problem, and don't we prefer to keep America American, and not a free for all for foreign influence?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rebuy said:

I know  we have many Star War fans here.

I saw this and it made me laugh since Disney took over Star Wars.

It might be hard to win a Star War without a gun.

star wars 22.jpg

Maybe not in Brazil, which is what those posters were designed for:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/24/disney-accused-of-lobbying-for-gun-control-after-removing-blasters-from-solo-a-star-wars-story-posters-7413528/

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, babadono said:
4 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

but these kids/students are growing up in The MIS Information Age

There fixed it fer ya.

yep.  

All fostered by adults who should know better, and those who know exactly what they are doing.

Now Look--We have to protect "The Children".

So, I want to propose that no child should be able to 

watch any TV Show or Movie with a gun in it.

Such movies should be rated R or X and banned from young minds.

I also want all video games with guns, knives, bombs, 

the thievery of cars and reckless driving among other

miscreant behavior's be banned from ANY CHILD under

the age of 21. This also includes Lego Video games where

these weapons are used.

After the child becomes 21, they can play any game they desire.

It is our responsibility to protect these kids from Our Evil Influence.

Parents caught letting their kids partaking in these games and

violent TV shows will be subject to legal actions of the state.