Favorite childhood toys?

codewritinfool

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Some of my favorites were just balls.  A softball, soccer ball, tennis ball, football, ping pong ball.  I enjoyed playing just about anything.  as I grew older I added Frisbees and foosballs.

If you hadn't added footballs you would have been kicked out of Texas.

JJK

4 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

If you hadn't added footballs you would have been kicked out of Texas.

JJK

Except that I never lived in TX until I was 23 years old.  They're currently looking for loopholes to kick me out though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

gasoline, a match, and a tennis ball made a fun toy at night.  

I was going to dodge the risque' stuff but since you went there...

Growing up, my dad had a cannon.  This thing probably weighs 300 pounds and is a real cannon.  Muzzle is probably about 2 1/2 inches (guessing).  We'd roll that out of the basement door onto the back driveway.  Load some gunpowder in it and stuff it with a rag (as the projectile).  Lemme tell you.... that kitchen rag would end up probably 100' away and up in a tree or hanging on the power line.  Made for a very nice KA-BOOM.  Dad still has it today.  In addition, he's evidently had some cannon balls made so now when you see it, it looks like a little ensemble.

OK, that's the fun part....  where it got ugly...  after parents divorced, dad took cannon with him however, seems he forgot to take the can of powder and primer and fuses with him.  I enter teenage years....find the stuff and know exactly what it is.

Hmmm...  I wonder what would happen if I took a Coke bottle (16 Oz), filled it with powder, cut a 3' fuse and lit it (away from the houses, out in the farmers field)

Did just that however, never really stopped to think about the rain we had.  After we lit the fuse and "ran" (or tried to) found out that our feet were getting very stuck to the mud we were in...  now it got intersting because I could just see the zillion glass shards of shrapnel flying and cutting us to pieces....  RUN Forrest RUN...

Powder went off (I should say the small bomb) and nobody was hurt.  We went back to the place of ignition and there was something like a three foot wide, one foot deep hole in the ground.

Obviously, this wasn't a toy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

gasoline, a match, and a tennis ball made a fun toy at night.  

Aww He*l,

We cut the top and bottom off of two coke or beer steel cans, top off of another. Taped them together so there was a bottom, used the triangular end of a bottle opener put four holes at the bottom sidewall.... kinda like opening the big old cans of V-8.

Tennis balls fit right in there...... a drop of rubbing alcohol in the bottom. Light it and boom, at night it was a fireball..... whenever, if you didn't dodge it and were close it could put a whelp on you.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Aww He*l,

We cut the top and bottom off of two coke or beer steel cans, top off of another. Taped them together so there was a bottom, used the triangular end of a bottle opener put four holes at the bottom sidewall.... kinda like opening the big old cans of V-8.

Tennis balls fit right in there...... a drop of rubbing alcohol in the bottom. Light it and boom, at night it was a fireball..... whenever, if you didn't dodge it and were close it could put a whelp on you.

Hair spray , or starting fluid works great..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had some fun with these. The paddle ball was a real challenge and proved later in life to have helped me play tennis also steal the ball a LOT in basketball. 

I also had a fondness for the spinning tops until I found the gyroscope and playing marbles, slinky and Stretch-Arm-Strong. 

I'd go on my BMX bike and take off ALL day towards the caves by the ocean. Then after dinner I'd take my baseball mitt and tennis ball and practice pitching against a wall. I wanted to be a pitcher and became a really good one in little league.

Good times. Never grew up with electronics. 

download.jpeg

111fd544a1ee877b4df2d42140f8f03f--japanese-toys-spinning-top.jpg

Tedco_Toys_Gyroscope_1950s_Retro_Packaging_X4_01bbc5a1-fdfb-47f2-80b3-9a8e22f0ae3b_grande.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

One of the best toys ever ever made, well i thought so at 8 years old emoji3.png0186f7610580afe2594e36dbd44fa4fd.jpg

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

I could not find my evel knievel

But I just found this.. Kenner ssp herk action stunt set

IMG_20180403_071712.jpg

20 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I also had the Evel Knievel stunt cycle and SSP racers, except I had the SSP Smash-up Derby where doors and hoods & trunks flew off.  The goal was to get them to smash in mid-air like the commercials showed, but it was nearly impossible, LOL.

I can not believe this was from 1972.....

I remember the commercials.... And getting 

The toy....

24 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

You guys had all the cool toys.

If I remember correctly you grew up the son of a brick mason?! Please don't tell us all you were given to play with were bricks and cinder blocks ?!?! And you walked five miles to school, uphill each way. You poor thing --- ?!?!