Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

Seeing images of houses sitting in water, my mind often goes to possible preventive measures before the impending flood. Just looking at it from a feasibility angle from the knowledge base here.  Picture a typical square or rectangular house and treat it like a large pallet and wrap it in plastic.    I have wrapped a few pallets in my time and that plastic is pretty tough, especially when given a little heat to shrink it tight. If the pallet just happened to be 60 ft by 80ft, It would just take more time to do it and an interesting dispenser.  $36 bucks for 6000 ft.  That should provide multiple layers up to the rafters, if needed.  If I were in that area and had a house in a shape and size where it could be done, I would try it out. Of course if could be a complete fail.   

Another thing worth trying perhaps, is to call up a termite company. I wonder how a tented house would stand up, making sure the base was well secured.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-x-1500-80-Ga-4-Rolls-Pallet-Wrap-Stretch-Film-Hand-Shrink-Wrap-1500FT-Black/283114250367?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D54464%26meid%3Ddd6ccb33b5164f13ad9070a3e97c3257%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D283114250367&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

s-l225.jpg

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, -js- said:

did he bail from the boat & tried to pilot the truck into uncharted territory?

Just imagine if they would have seen a rabbit run around on land somewhere, they would have all jumped ship to chase it. 

• Haha 4

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Shiva said:

Seeing images of houses sitting in water, my mind often goes to possible preventive measures before the impending flood. Just looking at it from a feasibility angle from the knowledge base here.  Picture a typical square or rectangular house and treat it like a large pallet and wrap it in plastic.    I have wrapped a few pallets in my time and that plastic is pretty tough, especially when given a little heat to shrink it tight. If the pallet just happened to be 60 ft by 80ft, It would just take more time to do it and an interesting dispenser.  $36 bucks for 6000 ft.  That should provide multiple layers up to the rafters, if needed.  If I were in that area and had a house in a shape and size where it could be done, I would try it out. Of course if could be a complete fail.   

Another thing worth trying perhaps, is to call up a termite company. I wonder how a tented house would stand up, making sure the base was well secured.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-x-1500-80-Ga-4-Rolls-Pallet-Wrap-Stretch-Film-Hand-Shrink-Wrap-1500FT-Black/283114250367?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D54464%26meid%3Ddd6ccb33b5164f13ad9070a3e97c3257%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D283114250367&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

s-l225.jpg

You get a pass on this one only because, like me,  you are from Southern California and therefore do not have any concept of the volume of water we are talking about here, and what would be required to keep 4, 5 or 6' of water out of a house.  

By the way, even if wrapping did work, the water pressure from all four sides would crush a wood frame house like a grape.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

You get a pass on this one only because, like me,  you are from Southern California and therefore do not have any concept of the volume of water we are talking about here, and what would be required to keep 4, 5 or 6' of water out of a house.  

By the way, even if wrapping did work, the water pressure from all four sides would crush a wood frame house like a grape.  

Lol, thanks for the pass.  Upon further reading about this, I did read about the water pressure upon the walls of a house if the water was kept out. Also saw a vid of a couple who wrapped their house to no avail.

23 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I read once about a house with a basement full of water from a weeks worth of rain. The homeowner pumped all the water out of the basement with a huge commercial pump. The  pressure from the outside soil caved a basement wall in. Hydrostatic pressure can be brutal.

• Like 4

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Lol, thanks for the pass.  Upon further reading about this, I did read about the water pressure upon the walls of a house if the water was kept out. Also saw a vid of a couple who wrapped their house to no avail.

It isn't something you really think about unless you have built a swimming pool or two and see what is required to keep IN a mere 40,000 or 50K gallons (steel reinforced concrete), the process of keeping water OUT has to be twice as hard.  

6 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Surf City, NCimage.png.539fb3a301e62397b8e33f126f13e8f4.png

I'm not picking on victims here, but this photo reminds me of a John Stossel 60-Minutes segment discussing flood insurance and luxury, flood-prone housing.

Here is an excerpt from somewhat current article:

Who benefits from flood insurance? People in flood-prone states like Louisiana and Florida, of course. But many beneficiaries also share another characteristic: they are upper income. Evidence suggests that recipients of flood insurance are on average wealthier than the typical homeowner. A Congressional Budget Office study found the median value of an NFIP insured home is about twice that of American homes in general. About 80 percent of NFIP households are in counties that rank in the top income quintile. As of 2012, 42 percent of NFIP propertiestook out the maximum $250,000 in coverage, reflecting the fact that properties near water tend to be more expensive than properties in general.

Wealthier households also tend to receive larger subsidies. A University of Massachusetts study examined the relationship between property values and premiums paid per $100,000 in coverage in that state, finding a negative relationship between property value and premium cost. For example, homeowners on Martha’s Vineyard pay an average premium of $400 per $100,000, while residents of Fairhaven, a blue-collar town with a median household income of about $40,000, pay over $800. These numbers reflect the impact of the NFIP’s explicit subsidies to homes built before the first Federal Emergency Management Agency flood map of a given area, which constitute 15-20 percent of the total policies in the program. Policyholders receive a 60-65 percent discount for these properties.

NFIP recipients are also heavily concentrated along the coasts of the states in the Southeast, and about 25 percent of explicitly subsidized coastal NFIP properties are vacation homes, according to the CBO. One of these homeowners receiving government money to live on the beach was John Stossel, the former ABC and Fox News pundit. He saved thousands annually on insurance for his waterfront property in New York.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I read once about a house with a basement full of water from a weeks worth of rain. The homeowner pumped all the water out of the basement with a huge commercial pump. The  pressure from the outside soil caved a basement wall in. Hydrostatic pressure can be brutal.

Hydrostatic pressure.  @dtel and @dtel's wife and @kharmondds have become experts in hydrostatic pressure at the Klipsch Museum in Hope, and pumps, and . . . .

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

You get a pass on this one only because, like me,  you are from Southern California

Ok I know I left out part of the quote like a news agency would, but I did laugh when I read this first part. 

We down here are used to water. Now mudslides like in California has would be a totally new thing here and we would probably just stand there looking at it having no clue what's going on. :blink:

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, dtel said:

Ok I know I left out part of the quote like a news agency would, but I did laugh when I read this first part. 

We down here are used to water. Now mudslides like in California has would be a totally new thing here and we would probably just stand there looking at it having no clue what's going on. :blink:

We would arrange an earthquake for you, now those are a trip.

• Haha 1