Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

4 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

What did he say?

Well he referred to him as simply "'Paul" like they were best friends, then he said t Khorn wasn't a horn but an undamped pipe, and he was smoking a pipe when he said it, ironically. Let's just say between his magazine quotes and his personality, I wasn't impressed. Let's just say not a good impression, unlike meeting Saul Marantz.

17 hours ago, Don Richard said:

No.

No.

No.

It appears reading comprehension is not your strong point...😁

Obviously better than your ability to frame your answer in a manner that is clear and unambiguous. :)

But I digress.

How about restating your answer so even us stoopid folk can understand. ;)

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

My smart alec comment was about the "linear" part being the Straight Line across an oscilloscope that happens during clipping, which means the voltage output has reached the level of the DC suppl rails on SS amps. There is also Current limit, but not relevant to the term "clipping" as much as it is creating thermal problems.

What makes an amplifier "non-linear" is when the higher signal output voltage no longer tracks the lower signal input voltage (linear gain). In the case of Unity gain amplifiers, they are more like driving a low impedance load with a high impedance input (basically a Current Amplifier at that point).

Thank you for your clear example. I do understand. :)

I am curious what definition @ODS123 is using as the basis of his stated assertions.

11 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Well he referred to him as simply "'Paul" like they were best friends, then he said t Khorn wasn't a horn but an undamped pipe, and he was smoking a pipe when he said it, ironically. Let's just say between his magazine quotes and his personality, I wasn't impressed. Let's just say not a good impression, unlike meeting Saul Marantz.

oh...  you mean by his first name?   How scandalous it is to address by first name the guy who points to a BS button on his lapel whenever he disagrees with something someone says.  ..Such disrespect.

And he was smoking a pipe while making a technical remark about his khorn?  ..Oh, the temerity.

I love Klipsch speakers too, but let's not go crazy here.  PWK designed speakers, he didn't cure lupus.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

The BBC rejected pine fillets in favor of beech fillets.  It's unlikely birch plywood would have been replaced by sawdust and glue.

Not sure I believe this.  ..That is, not when KEF, Vandersteen, B&W, Dynaudio, Vienna Acoustics, Paradigm, PSB, Polk, Spica, and the vast majority of ALL other technically and commercially successful designs that followed utilized this material.  

The front of those speakers, BTW, look a bit like a high school shop project.  ..Not exactly sterling examples of teutonic fit/finish.

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Are those your speakers in the photo I snagged from the Internet?  They certainly aren't mine, which are stored away and not easily photographed.

Nope, just the three pics I posted.

54 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

The front of those speakers, BTW, look a bit like a high school shop project.  ..Not exactly sterling examples of teutonic fit/finish.

Fit , finish and looks were not priority on these. They were built to a spec, to do a specified job, not really to put in your living room. But I thought they looked ok in mine, with covers on.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The BBC rejected pine fillets in favor of beech fillets.  It's unlikely birch plywood would have been replaced by sawdust and glue.

Their fillet material preference didn't go unnoticed, which is why I noted their silence regarding panel material - I'd bet they only had one choice.

MDF is far more fibrous than merely "sawdust."  (Though many fine knife blades are made from steels produced with  dust/glue/pressure/heat nowadays.)

Don't get me wrong; I'm not championing particle board (in any configuration) over many-thin-void-free plies, in general.  But for specific uses different materials have better qualities, and inherent deadness happens to be more important than structural ruggedness in certain applications.

6 hours ago, glens said:

But for specific uses different materials have better qualities, and inherent deadness happens to be more important than structural ruggedness in certain applications.

Exactly...  

For those speakers Klipsch designed for (from brochure) auditoriums, churches, bars, theme parks, transportation centers, etc. structural ruggedness trumps vibrational deadness as a design consideration.  Just as extreme SPL capability trumps frequency extension.

Yet, Klipsch Pro series devotees have turned plywood construction into some sort of badge of elevated connoisseurship.

The "MDF sucks" crowd wants us to believe that the company that gets it totally correct in how it balances cost and quality with the plywood Klipsch Pro Series, gets it totally wrong with the MDF Heritage series where they've allowed crooked penny pinching accountants to flip the cost vs. quality equation.  And we are to believe this despite the fact that the Heritage speakers are quite clearly engineered for a quieter home setting that is far more conducive to highly critical listening.

7 hours ago, ODS123 said:

The BBC were (Brits treat collective nouns as plural) as fussy about diffraction and reflection issues as they were about wood selection.  The speakers are intended to be used with grilles in place.  The back of the grille is more complex than a simple sheet of fabric to mate up with the front of the speakers.

Why the reference to “Teutonic?”  There’s nothing Deutschland about LS3/5a speakers. 

44 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Why the reference to “Teutonic?”  There’s nothing Deutschland[isch] about LS3/5a speakers. [emphasis mine: GS] 

Good catch!  (Sorry, ODS, but grammar policing ain't a great form of defense, since if you're not careful the table can well turn!)

Has anybody exhibited "fence sitting" in this thread any better than moi (god, I hope that's right!)?  Actually I think it more properly demonstrates pragmatism (in the good sense) on my part.  There's good to be seen in "both sides" here, generally throughout.

I hope it makes 100 pages before the end of the month...

1 hour ago, glens said:

Good catch!  (Sorry, ODS, but grammar policing ain't a great form of defense, since if you're not careful the table can well turn!)

I'm definitely not a grammar cop.  Good lord, I'd make a terrible one.  ..Only once in this thread did I remark on someone's choice of words.  It think was the use of infer vs. imply (?)  And I only made the correction because it referred to something I implied (and not inferred). Still, I stand corrected.  I know teutonic refers to Germany but I've also used it as a synonym for "German-like" which, in the present case, was to meant to describe precise, efficient and clean engineering. ..Something which seemed notably absent from the finish-work of the LS 3/5's pictured.

Anyway, correction noted with thanks. :)

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The BBC were (Brits treat collective nouns as plural)...

I realize that (at least in "American" law?) a corporation is a "person", but if I were to toss a coin on "was" vs. "were" in this usage I believe the coin would land "were up" most times, and I've only got a couple percent "Britishness" in my makeup.  It just seems more of a "committee"  than an "entity" for things like that.  Not that this is really (if at all) pertinent to the premise of the thread.  Just doing my part to make it to 100 pages...

• Like 2

I say @glens, in keeping with this newfound spirit of the thread, would you consider a corporation viewed as a person to have fair access

to being or having an LLC. status as well? Some may have considered this, one would hope by competent legal minds, as being compared to having the protection to both sides of the coin(realm). A more fair analogy may be, in my estimation as, having your cake and eating it too. Please excuse the the's I used...thanks.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:31 AM, ODS123 said:

A few weeks ago I urged beginners to heavily skew their spending toward speakers by suggesting that audible differences b/w modern amplifiers that are engineered to be linear (which is pretty much ALL solid-state and any good tube amps these days) will sound pretty much alike.

@ODS123 - Still no response to my sincere request for clarification regarding what you mean when you use the term "linear".

I have to assume, since you have not responded after multiple requests, that you do not intend to do so.

What a shame. I had hoped to gain a better understanding of your position through conversation.

1 hour ago, Don Richard said:

Sorry, I'm done feeding the troll (that would be you)😈

Interesting characterization from someone who has been very confrontational and condescending.

If asking a question so I can better understand another poster's position on an issue is trolling to you, you really need to reconsider where you set the "trolling bar". Or is anyone who offers an opinion that differs from your opinion automatically a "troll"?

On the contrary, you, sir, are attempting to create conflict where no conflict is intended or desired. That is my definition of a troll.

My question to @ODS123 is a sincere one and was asked to gain understanding of his position.

But you knew that, didn't you.