La Scala Line Array??

On 5/14/2021 at 12:14 PM, Cathedral Guitar said:

Has anybody ever listened to the La Scala in a horizontal orientation?

---no good - unless you own a split cab LSI  ----then , you can position the  bass bin and the  top hat  horizontally-- 

DJK use to use LS for P.A. use in Cedar Rapids (picture bar bands...). He built his own LS bass cabinets and would use them in a two by two configuration, but often only used one of the bass cabs per side hooked up. The others were for looks...

But, as the Chief said, you would get a lower cutoff that way, if you were grouping 4 or six together.

• Like 1

Once independently of the topic of the line array, here in some post it is considered that one turns the Lascala by 90 degrees. Many participants here will know this, but perhaps not all. That is why I am posting it again. When the Lascala was conceptualised, PWK had thought of the issue of thin side walls. He was of course very forward thinking in his way. Here are sketches of the various uses of the Lascala. For stereo use at home, PWK originally wanted to dampen the side walls by setting them up as shown in the picture. At least that is what I suspect.

667177D9-F35B-4EFD-90F0-58D68DADDF10.thumb.png.4447c6cae2f7c234251d8d7d167f3b86.png

And by a whisker it would have looked like this for almost 60 years. If I should find a completely battered Lascala that can hardly be made beautiful any more, I would like to give it a try.

071A1CDF-A057-4632-83EF-7CB397783232.png

5EFBE0A9-9166-4C00-BAF5-6352445FE262.png

• Like 1

What’s the goal of arraying these in a residential setting?

Line arrays are a directional tool and there are trade offs. For directivity to be affected, you’d need a way bigger array, though as mentioned you’ll get some horn coupling from the bass bins.

The lobing you’ll get from the HF horns will likely jack things up more than anything else. You’ll get less even frequency response than a single speaker, and the minimal narrowing of the vertical dispersion attained is probably not going to worth it.

Then again, it’ll look wild, and may not sound very different in your room.

No harm in trying, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Cathedral Guitar said:

It is interesting that they redisgned the LS with 1" MDF to solve a problem that perhaps could have be solved simply by rotating the bass bin.

They weren't as attractive when horizontal, as it placed the woofer access hatch on either end (left/right).

Remember, they were originally built for PA. use, not the living room.

• Like 1