Does everyone have a hiss when no music is playing?

Don A

Very quiet on my end... I have a dedicated line for all of the gear - which feeds into a Furman SS-6B Pro.  Most of the sources are plugged into two Richard Gray's Power Company RGPC 400 Power Stations,which are plugged into the Furman.  I've had power outages and one catastrophic break of the weather head that goes into the house - the main was pinched, and sent a surge that fried the motherboard on my PC and knocked out power to the house for days - with zero damage to any of my A/V gear.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Don A said:

What factors affect this?

The efficiency/sensitivity of the speakers is one of the biggest factors.  Electronics that seem quiet with other speakers may produce a hiss when driving high sensitivity Klipsch speakers.  The noise signal was always there, but you couldn't hear it before.  However, that same high sensitivity, along with reducing the power that you'll need to drive them, means that the speakers can recover more fine detail and have lower distortion.

The next factor is noise produced by other components.  Maybe it's coming from your TV, for example, assuming that your TV is connected to your system.  You can disconnect your sources one at a time, until you find the guilty component.  

If it's a hum rather than a hiss, that could be the 60 Hz hum from the AC mains power.  Improper grounding is usually the problem in that case.  Hopefully, other members will have some other ideas, because that's all I got in terms of where it's coming from.

However, if the hissing sound is not audible from your listening position, only when you put your ears close to the speakers, it's not a problem.  A faint hiss when you're close to your speakers should not affect your enjoyment of them when you're sitting on your sofa or chair, in your MLP, or Main Listening Position, just to throw in some jargon.

As for my system, you can see it below, but the sources are a Panasonic Blu-ray player, a Technics turntable, a Yamaha DVD player, a Panasonic TV, and Net Radio and off-air radio through a Yamaha AV receiver, plus YouTube or downloaded music by AirPlay.  From the receiver, the signal goes into a 24-bit Electro-Voice Dx38 digital sound processor, which replaces the crossovers in the speakers.  From the processor, the signal goes to the two dual-mono Yamaha MX-D1 power amplifiers (one for bass and one for treble, the speakers are bi-amped), then directly to the drivers of the modified Klipsch La Scala II speakers.  Their sensitivity is about 105 dB/W/m, so they're ultra sensitive.  There is a very faint hiss in the speakers, but your head has to be within a foot/30 cm of them to hear it.  Since it's inaudible at the listening position, it's not an issue and can be ignored.

Almost forgot something.  The system is not plugged directly into the wall.  Instead, I use a pair of Tripp-Lite Isobar Ultra surge protectors/noise filters, an Ultra 6 and an Ultra 8, with 6 and 8 outlets respectively.  They protect against voltage surges, of course, but they also have filter banks which filter out noise in the power line.  In office settings, where the Isobars are often used, certain devices, like printers, are notorious for sending digital noise into the power system, to the point of affecting other devices on the same circuit.  The same is true of Class D power amplifiers, but to a lesser extent, I believe.  In my case, I have two Class D power amps powering the main speakers, plus two subwoofers, each with its own Class D power amp.  These amps have the potential to put noise into their power circuits, so the Isobar Ultras filter that out.  The result is an extremely faint hiss, even with the 105 dB JubScala IIs (bi-amped La Scala IIs with K402 Jubilee tweeter horns).  The 402 horns are 1 metre/40 inches wide, allowing every detail of the music to be heard, as well as any hiss from the equipment, or even the recording process.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Where can I find some photos of those speakers?

What, my speakers?  If you go to my profile you can see the left one, along with the Hi-Fi Fairy, who's dusting the K402 horn.  Since then, I made much better-looking bases for the horns.  The bases are 4"/10 cm tall, 24" wide, and 25" deep, and finished in black.  Nothing fancy, but they look good enough for my purposes.  I'm planning to post a picture of the system sometime, but there always seems to be something more important right at the moment, so I don't have any great pix of the full kit.

28 minutes ago, Islander said:

What, my speakers?  If you go to my profile you can see the left one, along with the Hi-Fi Fairy, who's dusting the K402 horn.  Since then, I made much better-looking bases for the horns.  The bases are 4"/10 cm tall, 24" wide, and 25" deep, and finished in black.  Nothing fancy, but they look good enough for my purposes.  I'm planning to post a picture of the system sometime, but there always seems to be something more important right at the moment, so I don't have any great pix of the full kit.

Yes your speaker. Thanks.

Check yer inbox.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Islander said:

I hope any future pictures also include the Hi-Fi Fairy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Quad Khorns said:

I hope any future pictures also include the Hi-Fi Fairy

Just like the Great Pumpkin only visits the most sincere pumpkin patches, the Hi-Fi Fairy only visits hi-fi systems with the most synergy.  Do all your components play well together?  Maybe, if you're very lucky and your sound system is very happy together, it might get a visit from her.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2023 at 2:15 AM, Islander said:

Just like the Great Pumpkin only visits the most sincere pumpkin patches, the Hi-Fi Fairy only visits hi-fi systems with the most synergy.  Do all your components play well together?  Maybe, if you're very lucky and your sound system is very happy together, it might get a visit from her.

I'd pull a gold tooth and put it under my pillow for a visit - or a Klipschorn

• Haha 1

If I crank up the Fisher 440T attached to my H1 it has a faint hiss. Cannot hear it at low volumes even sans music. Does sound like a helicopter if I attempt to attach anything to the phono stage.