2023 Subfest (A Bonehead Class) Reports, Photos, Etc.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:29 PM, Ponch0069 said:

mid compression drivers are going to be replaced with a 4 to 6 inch single horn 

4 to 6 inch horn  ?????   ,the most common  horns have a throat diameter of  1,4 or 2 inches 

On 11/22/2023 at 8:29 PM, Ponch0069 said:

Any speculation on what’s going on behind the “Blacked Out” high/mid upper section of the La Scala’s in the demo photo? I’m going to quess that the high and mid compression drivers are going to be replaced with a 4 to 6 inch single horn making the new La Scala’s a two way horn speaker. 

Seeing what the Chief has done over the years if he does turn the La Scala into a two way would likely use the k-510m / k-691 combo to keep costs down can't imagine he'd go all out with the Celestion driver from the Jubilee which would require DSP that would probably bump the price to $20k or more

• Like 2

On 11/24/2023 at 12:39 AM, Flevoman said:

It's quite likely that I'm asking this question way too early, and it may not be answerable yet. But I'll give it a shot 😉.

The La Scala AL-5 with the horn sub, let's say size 3, will it sound equivalent to the Klipschorn? Or might this combination possibly even sound a bit better than the Klipschorn? Both have the same midhorn and tweeter, but now the mid and high frequencies are at ear level, while the low is projected directly at the listening position, and without the timedelay that the Klipschorn seems to have. Or is this wishful thinking, and the Klipschorn will always sound different (better).

Wishful thinking................................maybe not!

Using my common sense, I have the idea that, for the reasons I mentioned earlier, it might be possible that the LaScala, with the right horn sub, could sound even better than the Klipschorn. I've only listened to a Klipschorn for 30 minutes, but my initial impression was that it sounded somewhat dull. One reason for this might be that the midhorn cannot be adjusted in terms of radiation direction, and the low end is not directly aimed at the listening position. Well, speculative thoughts on my part 😉

On 11/24/2023 at 12:39 AM, Flevoman said:

It's quite likely that I'm asking this question way too early, and it may not be answerable yet. But I'll give it a shot 😉.

The La Scala AL-5 with the horn sub, let's say size 3, will it sound equivalent to the Klipschorn? Or might this combination possibly even sound a bit better than the Klipschorn? Both have the same midhorn and tweeter, but now the mid and high frequencies are at ear level, while the low is projected directly at the listening position, and without the timedelay that the Klipschorn seems to have. Or is this wishful thinking, and the Klipschorn will always sound different (better).

I had Khorns and a LaScala mono center with PWK's resistor box for 30 years. I think any form of LaScala in a 2.1 or, better yet, 2.2 configuration (sub front and rear room center) would trounce a pair of Khorns, but that's just my opinion. I doubt that Roy would ever make that statement in a public forum (with curves). You and I are outsiders, after all.

• Haha 1

It’s difficult to get the perfect placement with a set of Klipschorns , but if you can , you’ll be cooking with gas .  Lascala offers flexibility in their placement , obviously this is important, and this makes  Lascala the easy choice in many situations .But Which one is better? It’s likely the one with the least  compromise on placement .  What about One vs. the other with a good subwoofer?  Both will benefit with a good subwoofer , so either speaker with an added subwoofer will surpass the other in low bass output.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flevoman said:

@ClaudeJ1: And could you perhaps also explain why, in your opinion, the La Scala beats the Khorn in that situation?

It's more phase coherent from woofer to mid section. The heavy lifting of the low frequencies is done with a larger horn and reduces overall IM distortion in the process. And it goes much lower than just a Khorn. I had Khorns for 30 years and only upgraded to Jubilees an MWMs after 2007, including getting the Home Theater bug with more channels and subs for movie sonics. PWK put the Jube above the Khorn while Gary Gillum put the MWM there also in the commercial sector.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 11/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, Flevoman said:

Using my common sense, I have the idea that, for the reasons I mentioned earlier, it might be possible that the LaScala, with the right horn sub, could sound even better than the Klipschorn. I've only listened to a Klipschorn for 30 minutes, but my initial impression was that it sounded somewhat dull. One reason for this might be that the midhorn cannot be adjusted in terms of radiation direction, and the low end is not directly aimed at the listening position. Well, speculative thoughts on my part 😉

You know….you can also put a heritage sub on a khorn……and a khorn is always a step up from a la scala…….

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chief bonehead said:

You know….you can also put a heritage sub on a khorn……and a khorn is always a step up from a la scala…….

I most certainly would if I still hadD (sorry my D key will only type caitalizedD, new keyboar on on it's way)  my Klipschorns of 30 years. It would have to be the largest one, though.

Large Horns still rule, even in the subwoofer universe!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, 82 Cornwalls said:

The first time I saw it I thought why in the world would anyone want a mid-woofer-mid and that is still what comes to mind first, mid-woofer-mid. 

The same reason there is a bass section on any speaker, for bass, it's not a sub. Bass has to go up to where the mids take over, a sub has to go up to where the bass takes over.       OK so I like to keep it simple and mid-woofer-mid confuses me, not really almost all speakers are sort of mid bass and a little lower, except the Jubilee.

The only speaker I know of that does not need all of this is the new Jubilee, no sub needed, full range 2 way.

• Like 2

It seems before subs the 2 speakers were asked to do everything in regards to Stereo Music. Then came multichannel with lower/power consuming notes which allowed to set a crossover where the speakers could carry the upper register more efficiently and omnidirectional low notes could come from the sub.

Fwiw, I enjoy multichannel music and like the way my 2-way speakers blend seamlessly with my subs to make it a 9 channel, 3 way Klipsch sound system. 😎 That's my take and wish I could afford the new subs! 

• Like 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I enjoy multichannel music and like the way my 2-way speakers blend seamlessly with my subs to make it a 9 channel, 3 way Klipsch sound system.

Really closer to a 4 way

13 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Never seen or heard anything about the MWM before. 

Is this an official Klipsch bassbin? 

These are legit ones in my house, but up on their sides (being trapazoids, they tilt back).

MWMs_family_room.jpg

• Like 1