Anyone have experience with Medium format Cameras?

Schu

I am contemplating get a medium format camera from the prosumer market... as I have always wanted a 8x10 camera, but the medium format Digital cameras have gotten so good and are  'relatively' affordable now.

does anyone have experience with them? I can not really see a downside to getting one if my main point is still life, nature and portrait.

I am looking at a GFX 50s II or GFA 100s II

One of the guys on the photography thread posted some really nice pictures that he shot with a Pentax 645 I believe? Certainly med format can be a step up from 35mm based cameras. I own a med format film camera. Haven't looked at it in years.

• Moderators
On 3/27/2024 at 10:32 AM, Schu said:

I am contemplating get a medium format camera from the prosumer market... as I have always wanted a 8x10 camera, but the medium format Digital cameras have gotten so good and are  'relatively' affordable now.

does anyone have experience with them? I can not really see a downside to getting one if my main point is still life, nature and portrait.

I am looking at a GFX 50s II or GFA 100s II

I have a lot of experience with medium format, but like a lot of things, decades ago, and in an all but gone format. 

The Fujifilm digitals you are looking at seem to have been well reviewed for many years, and their optics seem to be well regarded. 

Back in the day, 2 1/4 sq was the go to for portrait, landscape, nature (flowers & bugs) with a macro at 1:1 for life size images. You could crop and blow up to 16 x 20 easily, but we did some at 30 x 30, 30 x 40 cropped. Hasselblad for 2.25 square, and also some Mamiya RB67 (6 x 7) with 220 film.  

The difference between 35 and 120 was quite substantial. Shooting the same subject,  equivalent 35 mm film focal length lens, the same film to get the the best quality 16 x 20 we had a 4 x 5 inter-negative made from the 35, then they would blow up the inter-negative, that made it acceptable, but many times 11 x 14 was the max whereas 16 x 20 was pretty easy with 2.25 sq, or 6x7. 

I messed around with a 4x5” view camera once, with a really nice Schneider lens, it was so much work. It’s just wasn’t worth the time and effort. If you need the bellows for field of view, architecture photos, the TS-tilt shift lenses got you close to that. 

• Like 1

I had a Pentax 6 x 7 for a while and had some pictures blown up to 30 x 40 with excellent results. Everyone in the picture knew when the picture was actually taken because of the very loud "ker-chunk" of the shutter.

JJK

With full frame (36X24MM) digital at 40+MP you have to be looking for a specific characteristics for any significant improvement. Just be aware you'll spend the $$$ on a new system and the attendant learning curve. Most of what you'll see is fine detail at higher ISO at 100% crops.

• Like 1

Buy a Blad, the glass and a couple backs.  Used two for years w/zero problems for portraits, weddings, senics, etc.  Then buy a Halliburton case.  When I hung it up I got almost every penny back. 

Having to wait at a wedding for uncle Charlie and every other moron w/a point and shoot got to be old.  Even if you had it written into the contract.  Every wedding, etc came out beautiful w/the blad and I was chargin 3500 per gig.  It's a pay to play sport today like everything else.

Internegs are a stretch w/any format.  That FUji 50 does look nice though. Go get 'em tiger!  :)

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2024 at 4:17 PM, billybob said:

Used a half frame capable Pentax 35mm camera. Got 70 shots at a convention.

In Atlanta Dunfrey Dave,   at an outside demo of photos. In 82, can only imagine full frame. Turned out swell. Captured the dudes. Nice, Pentax run...

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 1:17 PM, billybob said:

Used a half frame capable Pentax 35mm camera. Got 70 shots at a convention.

I used to have a half frame Bell and Howell from back in the early 70's... which was when I used it. those negs were TINY.

just like this set up...

9f2b3a9e1f643d904a6ee06837bf8c08.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/2/2024 at 6:37 AM, geezin' said:

With full frame (36X24MM) digital at 40+MP you have to be looking for a specific characteristics for any significant improvement. Just be aware you'll spend the $$$ on a new system and the attendant learning curve. Most of what you'll see is fine detail at higher ISO at 100% crops.

I am... I have a good eye, so Dynamics are where it's at for me. having additional resolution is not bad to have either. While I DON'T have a full frame camera, I think I am well past that market segment and can get good use out of a medium format.

Like I had mentioned, I have always wanted a view camera... perhaps someday.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Buy a Blad, the glass and a couple backs.  Used two for years w/zero problems for portraits, weddings, senics, etc.  Then buy a Halliburton case.  When I hung it up I got almost every penny back. 

My other choice was a x2d Hasselblad... it's the same sensor that is in the Fujifilm... albeit it as a MUCH MORE robust price point. At that price point I can step up to the fujifilm gfx100 ii... which will do 8k video as well as 100mp images.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Marvel said:

Schu, are you looking new or used? If you are ok with used, I would checkout KEH Cameras in Smyrna, GA.

KEH is great.

I’ve also had good luck with Adorama and B&H’s used departments.

@Schu lots of good advice. You are gonna get an all too well informed opinions on which and what. If I may ask a question. I agree the curve to getting your head on straight with any new addition. everything comes at a cost. My question is this: all of your old bad habit are going to carry over onto this camera. If you only use less than 4 of the dial options for photographing your subject matter. Than, I would agree that money on a new format camera may be more than needed. 

If you already have a camera and do not use camera rings for your existing photography. you are missing out on the micro of still photography and spending hours in the atrium and bird sanctuaries.  if you are shooting live birds and you have shots where there are bars or cage wire in your photos then, you have not learned about moire. Moire is the checkered suits on television that move as the camera reports the news. happens with ties too. Point being is that, the cure often enough is a low pass filter. photographing birds behind chicken wire on LOWPass filter removes moire. voila your photograph just became very close and very personal without moire. 

My biggest thing to give to you is to visualize the basics. exceed your own regular usage and gain a perspective from a class on new digital that explains medium formats. Get your camera in hand and take a tour and get the feel and knowledge of how. Then, decide. unless you are like me and you like the deep end. I say go for the fuji. uniqueness is key. I had Nikon. my check-up/repair took months, add in a hurricane and delay in shipping. a basic routine cleaning could blow through your timeline on receiving your functional camera back. More importantly. what I got back was a different camera. I gave it up. 

So few people go full frame. new adapters now. can get wonderful detail and amazing quality off digital backs. just fyi.

12 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

KEH is great.

I’ve also had good luck with Adorama and B&H’s used departments.

I've found B&H normally the best for new with KEH the best for used equipment.  It's their mainline business.

I'd put Robert's Camera Used Photo Pro https://usedphotopro.com/ right after KEH with Adorama and B&H behind them for used.

There's also MPB camera https://www.mpb.com/en-us but I haven't used them enough to rank them yet.

I buy used with complete confidence from KEH or Roberts but make sure I read the Adorama and B&H ads and terms Very carefully.

Edited by 1MoreFord