LaScala equalizer or tweeter volume control question

I am trying to "tone down" the tweeters in my LaScala's. I have Tinnitus and some music is a bit too bright for my tastes. I have k77 tweeters and AA networks with Crites cap kits installed. I am considering adding an Equalizer or a Potentiometer "volume control" to the tweeter. Good or Bad idea?

If you can solder, you can try moving the tweeter circuit on your AA's from tap 5 to tap 4 (the squawker output tap).  It will slightly raise the squawker output but the reduced K77 volume may work for you.  It's a free mod and reversible.

Mike

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mboxler said:

If you can solder, you can try moving the tweeter circuit on your AA's from tap 5 to tap 4 (the squawker output tap).  It will slightly raise the squawker output but the reduced K77 volume may work for you.  It's a free mod and reversible.

Mike

Thanks, I will try that on 1 of them and do an A,B test.

• Like 1

I would swap the Crites caps for JEM caps, it makes the K77 smoother and the bass richer, and if you have a Crites xover the autoformer is also wrong. An original T2A makes the squaker much silkier. I have done all this myself and speak from experience. Nothing to say against EQ but I would start with the causes.

This is my „revised“ Crites AA back to the original values including original T2A

IMG_2290.jpeg

• Like 5

I have almost given up trying to get some to understand this. Really though, the aftermarket autoformers are the real culprit - since they 1) change the working inductance between the autoformer and the K-55, altering the 12dB/octave response, and 2) the attenuation levels for each tap are not exactly the same as the T2A. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Deang said:

I have almost given up trying to get some to understand this. Really though, the aftermarket autoformers are the real culprit - since they 1) change the working inductance between the autoformer and the K-55, altering the 12dB/octave response, and 2) the attenuation levels for each tap are not exactly the same as the T2A. 

You mean my DHA2 crossovers suck? I really liked them. Josh is sending them back to me since he went active.

• Like 1

The EQ makes all the difference, I am able to tone down the highs a bit which is a all I really wanted to do. I really do not have this issue during the colder months when I run my MC240 amp, most pronounced during the summer with Mtsubishi solid state amp. Some possible confusion here about my networks; they are original klipsch AA networks with Crites caps. Thanks for all the replies.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 9:20 PM, Buddy Shagmore said:

The Schiit Lokius tone controls may be the answer. Not a lot of scratch, and dead quiet. Has XLR connects, if that matters to you.

Love mine, and wonder why I waited so long to add to my system. 

lokius%20silver%20top%201920.jpg

I have ordered one and shall try it since it is passive and seems easier to use.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2024 at 11:03 PM, Marvel said:

You mean my DHA2 crossovers suck? I really liked them. Josh is sending them back to me since he went active.

Not a Klipsch design. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2024 at 9:20 PM, Buddy Shagmore said:

The Schiit Lokius tone controls may be the answer. Not a lot of scratch, and dead quiet. Has XLR connects, if that matters to you.

Love mine, and wonder why I waited so long to add to my system. 

lokius%20silver%20top%201920.jpg

I received mine a couple of days ago and it is wonderful, I can quickly and easily take out just a tiny bit of the high notes for some recordings and flip the small switch on the front and bypass for others. Thanks for the suggestion, it is exactly what I needed. I purchased a black version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1