Best Jazz Recording(s)

ssh

Since I am east of the Mississippi, and don't get to the west coast, for those who like live jazz, should check out Dizzy's in San Diego. An old friend, Chuck Perrin runs the place. No booze, no meals, just a jazz and whatever club. Hosts all kinds of music. I've got a Gary Scott CD he produced, Billy Thompson CD (nice tele licks). Art Johnson, jazz guitar.

Marvel

almost forgot:

http://dizzyssandiego.com/

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/23/2003 9:33:13 PM lynnm wrote:

11.gif
Jerry and The Pacemakers !! Those Boys Could Swing !!
11.gif

----------------

Lynnm,

I hope that you don't mind the correction.......

It is " Gerry and the Pacemakers" and anyone who can remember the group let alone the correct spelling, probably needs a pacemaker!

As I recall, "Gerry" played drums for Art Pepper.

Slammin to Gerry

tc

Another recent big band jazz addition to my collection is Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. This one is also a keeper. Believe me, I love the classics. I like to sit with the lights low and listen to Kind Of Blue or something by Cannonball, but there are NEW recordings that will rise to the status of classic in due time. The 2 that I mentioned (Dave Holland\Gordon Goodwin)in this thread have the ability to do just that. I understand the old guys (Miles,Coltrane,Hampton,etc) were the pioneers of jazz but I give a lot of credit to the folks that are still working in the craft even though they don't get the airtime or cash Diana Krall\Norah Jones get.

Wasn't the initial post about "well-recorded" performances? I can't for the life of me understand how anyone who likes Sonny Rollins' Prestige dates NOT like "Way Out West," but even if you "can't get into" it, you certainly have to admit that the SOUND of "Way Out West" is FAR FAR better than ANY of Rollins' Prestige recordings. "Way Out West" is one of the BEST "recordings" of jazz EVER--I have never heard a bass sound more realistic than on this recording. It's a masterpeice---one of Roy Dunann's best . . .

I'm listening to "A Love Supreme" on SACD...more what I think of as Jazz...and especially reminds me of some of the jazz clubs I've drank in. I've also got Diana Krall in the changer which is a different kinda club in MY mind...maybe more of a diner club.

And then the changer clicks over to Appalachian Journey w/Yo-Yo Ma--not jazz--my first impression is that I might find that this is lost in a chasm between me liking classical Yo-Yo and bare-foot, jug blowing, hill william music. This one is somewhere in the middle. Impression will have to develope on further listening.

I've kinda been enjoying classical songs with opera-like singing (Mahler, Schubert are two I grabbed out of the discount el cheapo classical bin but keep dusting them off). I would like to try an SACD...

What Jazz SACD's or affordable vinyl are recommended?

* classic performances & have great fidelity?

I was listening to Robert Johnson in the car...does this sound better on record? I kinda miss the surface noise to go with this sound. I guess the vinyl would be expensive.

Wow,what a great list.

I've started gleening some titles out on hybrid SACD.Many of those suggested may take years to make that list-maybe never.I'm on the lookout for a couple of dozen suggestions now,including some on cd.I'm trying not to scratch the vinyl itch.

Yes,exemplary recordings were requested,Allan.Hints about producers to be on the lookout for are a great help for some of us who only know artist or group names.This started with your question,boomac-Thanks.

SSH 1.gif

Sorry, should have said the recordings I mentioned were excellent sonically. Where possible get the K2 versions.

I don't like Way out West because Sonny is in the left channel and his band is in the right.

This may be true to how the master is recorded, but it weirds me out.

ECM mastering or the K2 process for CDs sounds really sharp for jazz

Wes Montgomery

Herbie Mann

Dave Holland

GAry Burton...vibes(xylophone for you headbangers)

----------------

New age aint so bad

Michael Hedges

Craig Chacico

Douglas Spotted Eagle(HAND CARVED CEDAR FLUTES AND NATIVE AMERICAN PERCUSSION)

David Arkenstone

NARADA records guitar compliations

--------------

I have never heard a really good Miles Davis or Coltrane recording; all of the CDs I have bought sound lackluster at best.

I have a Benny Goodman Quintet with Lionel Hampton LP that is just priceless butt whomping swing!

There is awesome stuff from the 50s; tough to find it in good shape for a fair price sometimes.

I can't believe no one mentioned Bill Evan's, "Waltz for Debby", a live recording! I believe it was recorded live at the Village Vanguard in NYC (early 60's).

I have the Analogue Productions SACD/CD hybrid. Both formats present an excellent, intimate club recording. You can hear the cocktail glasses "clinking" (from a waitress' tray?), people talking between tracks, & really live music (like your'e at the club).

It's pretty pleasing music... I can play it at dinner time & the wife doesn't get annoyed (jazz is not her favorite venue).

My $0.02,

Pete

I think jazz has more technically great recordings in all media than any other genre. These guys were really particular and their engineers fanatical.

Here are a few you MIGHT find if you look hard that are truly exceptional.

While jazz doesn't always fair to well when subjected to the limitations of CD, one exception on two fronts is Sheffield Labs CD-3. The serial number says part of it: recorded analog in 1976 and issued on CD in the early 80's. I'd love to have it on vinyl, but this is a truely excellent CD.

As to LP's, I have many jazz LP's that are awesome. A couple of really good ones are Audio Fidelity AFSD6132, The Best of Louis Armstrong, and Liberty LST-11006 "Keep the Customer Satisfied" with Buddy Rich. The Armstrong disc is incredible, and downright spooky in the dark. Sounds like Louis is in the corner...

The Rich album is one of his best musically, and the pressing is excellent as well.

Beyond the conventional, 78's are where you get great jazz you won't find anywhere else. I've a 1934 recording called "Tishomingo" by a band I can't recall right now. I recorded it at 24/96 and gave it a bit of Sound Forge processing. Results: stunning. Occasionally I put it on with guests present without saying anything. They go, Wow!, what a great recording! They hardly believe it when I tell them when it was made.

Many other gems among my 400 or so 78's going back to 1910 or so.

Dave

Mr. Pete,

Waltz for Debby is an automatic. I also have a copy from Analogue Productions, but in 45rpm vinyl. In fact if someone is interested in a few more "automatic" picks go to www.acousticsounds.com and click the far right side of the page where it says "Now on 45 RPM - The Best Jazz Ever". You can't miss with any of these picks. You don't necessarily have to buy the 45 RPM vinyl versions either. There are many different issues of most of these records and you'll be happy with just about any of them, be it cd, sacd, dvd-a or vinyl.

Regards,

Chris

The artist and titles below were released by Blue Note. They are notable releases and considered well engineered. Each artist is a favorite of mine and so is their respective release. The list contains titles from the Hard Bop Style from the late 50's thru early 60's. Those from the mid 60s onward reflect some Fusion and R&B influence that began to affect some jazz artist of that time. Some held truer to the traditional roots than others!

Clifford Jordan - Cliff Craft (1957)

Hank Mobley - Soul Station (1960)

Sonny Clark Leapin and Lopin (1961)

Dexter Gordon - Go (1962)

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder (1963)

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil: The All Seeing Eye (1965)

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy (1967)