What music do you use to audition new speakers (or to impress the guy that asks you if those Klipsch speakers are any good)?

sputnik

Thanks to a hot tip provided by Rick Thumpelstiltskin, I have just acquired a nice pair of Cornwalls. I moved my schedule around so I can pick them up next week in Denver. I can't wait to get em home and try em out.

I did a search in the forum for "reference music" and other possible thread titles, but nothing really came up. I would appreciate any suggestions on some good music to play to try out my new speakers. Something that really gives them a workout and makes them sweat. Suggestions on quiet and delicate music would also be appreciated. Thanks.

To really "exercise" my Fortes I've used the following:

The Underture from Tommy (last track side II),

Speedway at Nazereth - Mark Knopfler,

Money for Nothing - Dire Straits,

Jammin & Buffalo Soldier - Bob Marley,

DSOTM & The Wall - Pink Floyd,

Various Enya (to really rattle the house), and

An old London recording of Peer Gynt (supposedly using the worlds largest bass drum).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i usually play something from the genre my audience likes. otherwise i play steely dan, sting, four tops, michael jackson, etc... (all from my favorite genres of music).

then again, i'm only using lowly rf-3ii's (until my la scalas are finally shipped here from wisconsin of course!)

To audition, I use a fairly eclectic range of music that I like, and am very familiar with, which includes:

Wildflowers, Tom Petty -This is an excellent recording; on good systems, you are right there in the studio as it is being taped. It features a wide range of pop styles, from close-miked acoustic (title track), to grungy, bluesy ("Don't Fade on Me"), to flat-out rocking ("You Wreck Me")

Surfacing, Sarah McLachlan -Another fantastic recording; not quite as "live" sounding as Wildflowers, but with a nice dynamic range, solid bass, and sensual vocals that test your system's midrange reproduction.

Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusic, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Philips 412269-2 -Over-played chamber piece, to be sure, but a fine recording of it, nonetheless.

Mozart: Piano Concertos 22 and 23, English Chamber Orchestra, Daniel Barenboim EMI CDM76912222 -This one is a suprise... recorded in 1967 and 1972, it is one of the finer performances of these works, and the musicianship and immediacy of Barenboim's playing is spectacular. It kills a modern digital recording I have of the sames works by Mitsuko Uchida, whose playing cannot compare to Barenboim's.

Unplugged, Eric Clapton -Very nice recording and performance throughout.

Between Here and Gone, Mary Chapin-Carpenter -It really pisses me off that this album did not meet with more success. It was my favorite album of 2004, possibly even of this decade. Sensational recordings and performances, and some of the best melodies I have heard recently. In particular "In My Heaven" and "Grand Central Station". This disc has barely left my disc changer for the past 10 months.

Led Zeppelin II -Whole Lotta Love is one of the finest examples of gloriously raunchy Ledded Rock from that era. I used to hate my upstairs neighbors for keeping me up late with it, but I did not let it make me hate the song (just apartment living; thank goodness I am a home owner, with five speakers and two subwoofers, I would be one of the hated in an apt.)

Any of the Lord of the Rings soundtracks, because I love the films and the music.

These are some of the discs that help me benchmark my system, and demonstrate to others why I am so passionate about music and audio gear. Some of them get it, others could not care less. Most of them do agree that it all sounds good with the old Fortes...

When I invite someone over I try to get him/her to bring copies of their favorite recordings. Since everything else is different, the playback device, the amplification, the speakers and the room, I try to convince them that we should at least stick with source material that they are familiar with!

You are in a different boat. You will presumably be holding everything else constant and just changing the speakers. I still think the "stick with what you know" approach is the best. You have a good list there and you know what they sound like on your current set up. Stick with them and try them with the Corns.

BTW, What part of Montana is tropical?

Hey Sputnik,

I'll be sending you some good demo music Monday. You'll be getting some Robert Cray, a blues sampler CD from FYE and "Showdown" w/ Robert Cray, Albert Collins, and Johnny Copeland. I'll send some Tool, Sublime and some other stuff that sounds great on Cornwalls, too.

By the way, the Klipsch T-shirts were delivered today. They look great on me (yeah right) and even better on my wife. There was a nice Klipsch decal in the package, too. It'll probably go in my van's rear window. Thanks a lot.

Rick.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be picking some of those. Any more music that would bring out all the best from the Cornwalls?

Rick, I'm glad the stuff got there alright and thanks for putting that music selection together. Scriven, tropical Montana is only a state of mind but I live in Bozeman. That's Bozeman with a "z" not an "s". Thanks again.

One of my favorites is Porcupine Tree's album In Absentia. The DVD-A of Yes' Fragile is good too.

Some others:

Miles Davis - Best of the Quintet 1965-68

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (SACD)

Galactic - We Love 'Em Tonight, Live at Tipitina's

I have others, but these are just off the top of my head.

The quality of the performance and the recording are more important than the genre. I ask the listener to identify a recording with which they are familiar. It's always fun to watch as they hear details for the first time in a recording that they've listened to many times.

I use Take Five from Time Out to assess speaker reproduction quality. I'm familiar with how it can sound. The piano, bass, sax and percussion cover the whole gamut.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Wow, good post. I'll learn alot on this one. But for me, right now, its.

TEARS FOR FEARS.... "Woman In Chains"

PINK FLOYD'S....... "Money"

TALKING HEADS...... "Take Me To The River", 3rd, rendition.

for bass response nothing that I know of beats Van Halens... "Teacher"

Sputnik, you need to upgrade your crossovers. Think seriously about ALK's or maybe you can sweet talk Dean into working some magic for you.

I really like to give them a spin with the following:

The Temptations "For Lovers Only" (tracks 1,2 and 5) for overall presence and because it just sounds so damn good

Willie and Lobo "Caliente" or "Gypsy Boogaloo" for handclapping, guitar and violin

Marianne Faithful "Blazing Away" for live recording and soundstage.

The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" there is a reason why stereo salesman always have a copy of this one handy

Dvorak's "Symphonie #9" for dynamics

The Allen Parsons Project "the Definitive Collection" for stereo seperation and detail (Days are Numbers and Re-Jigue will astound you on a good system)

and

Eva Cassidy "Time After Time" for vocals

Among my favorite demo pieces:

Sarah McLachlan: "Angel" and "I Will Remember You"

Joni Mitchell: "Reason for Going" and "Both Sides Now"

Patty Larkin "Who Holds your Hand?" (live solo acoustic version)

Torture test faves:

Clapton/King "Three O'Clock Blues"

Jennifer Warnes "Way Down Deep"

Tom Petty - Wild flowers

Bob Marley Songs Of Freedom box Set CD3

Talking Heads - Naked especially track Blind

Beatles - White Album

Eek-A-Mouse

Midnite - Ras Mek Peace

Liz Phair - Excile In Guyville

Dead Can Dance - Aion

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head *the funky tracks well recorded and brilliant percussion

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic

Bjork

The Creatures - Bomerang / HAI

I use.....

For fidelity:

Pink Floyd: DSOTM

Supertramp: Crime of the Century (MFSL version)

Eric Clapton: Unplugged

Tracy Chapman: Tracy Chapman

String Cheese Incident: Outside Inside

Steely Dan: Aja

Frank Zappa: Joe's Garage, Shiek Yerbouti, Apostrohe, Overnight Sensation (Ryko) - excellent tonality and social commentary throughout!

Other special considerations.....

ZZ Top: Deguello - OK, so it's not reference material, but who cares! The tones and funk displayed here will sell them everytime1.gif Just give "Manic Mechanic" a spin for a vocal and guitar combo that will have you forgetting that the recording is short of reference. Highly recommended with tubes!!!

Jefferson Airplane: 2400 Fulton Street, Side II - "Psychedelia" - On a sonic level, this is as close to taking psychedelic drugs as you can get without actually taking them. The spatial enhancements contained herein will show the ability for 2 Klipsch to make sound from all directions - you'll be answering doors when no one is there, and looking around wondering where in the hell that just came from. For more advanced forms of similar fun, try the Grateful Dead's "Greyfolded".

It's not hard to impress someone with Klipsch - just have them pick out something they like, and they'll be sold, just the same. I usually start out by letting them choose....that usually works pretty well.

The ONE I keep going back to night after night is Patricia Barber's "Verse."

I don't like the intro to the 1st track, but after the first 142 seconds or so, CRANK IT UP!

This is a Jazz recording that will Rock you!

James