Poll: At what volumes do you do most of your listening?

Deang

?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>I want the sound to draw me in. I just barely turn the volume control -- I like it low. I want the sound to be a bit more engaging -- I hear it come on, then turn it up a notch or two.I go straight to the middle ground: it would be difficult to have a conversation without raising voicesI like live levels. I typically play at the level I think it would sound like if I were there.I like it loud.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am just listening and doing nothing else, then a little louder where a conversation will require raised voices.

If I am working on documents or on the internet reading technical areticles, then lower as it affects my concentration.

I also notice that as I get better equipment, tubes, etc, I tend to listen at lower levels because it just plain does not need to be turned up as high to achieve a feeling of satisfaction with the sound. The detail and soundstage seem to be there at lower volume levels now.

Chris

Dean - I sent you an email regarding another thread.

I voted for the middle ground.

I generally start a bit lower, more with the "I want the sound to be a bit more engaging" range, but it doesn't take long to crank it a bit if the situation permits. If the situation continues to permit...louder yet.

I tend to be moderate with the volume control. I like a full volume - enough to get the speakers going - but yet not so loud that I disturb my neighbors or damage my ears.

Many of the bands that I listen to come in at the 88ish db level, so I guess in that respect, the "live volume" applies too. But if it's "The Who" style loud, I don't go there often. When I saw those kind of bands up close - I wore earplugs/cotton balls.

I'll crank 'em for short periods, just for fun, and as a system test of sorts - but I'm "in the middle" most of the time.

I had to go w/the bit more engaging #2 since the question was "most" of

your listening.When I first turn it on however I go to the middle

ground.The point has been made many times but is still worth

repeating,the better your gear is the lower the volume can be and still

have that lush involving sound.

I hear it come on, then turn it up a notch or two -- you pegged it. I always begin a listening session with the chicken head pointing a little below 9 o'clock. I notch it up after each record side over the next two hours, never going past 1200. This is records through Wright preamp and 3.5s to new LaScalas in a 10H x 16W x 20L room, carpeted concrete slab, LS on the 16ft wall in corners.

Pauln

So when will you reveal your hypthesis?

Live music at my fingertips !!!

Ditto...Although with my current 10 WPC SET amp I can only raise the gain to over 95dB before any clipping occurs, with my loudspeakers and sub it approaches near-live levels with aplomb; nearly as convincing as my high current McIntosh MC7200!

Would be nice to have a SPL meter reading for each to give peeps and idea of what you mean by your words...

the last two to me are one and the same....

Also middle to me is where you can talk and hear music not shout...

Shout is loud...ask any woman..hehehe

I don't listen to music unless I can listen to it. I rarely turn my radio on in the car as it is mostly a distraction, and don't even have a radio in the Vette.

As for listening habits at home, it's always played at loud volumes as I live alone. I would say on average about 90db+ (I know you didn't want to talk db's) in the listening position (12 ft from speakers). If I can't hear music like that it's just a waste of time imho.

Mike