Quitting Smoking

woodsman

I read this just to see what was going on and you caught me. Embarrassed

I am back to smoking. Embarrassed I started a diet to lose weight and cheated with smoking.

I did lose 50 pounds since then, and at 235 now I realize I would be in great shape at 200-210. I was just talking with my wife about trying to quit again since I at least have a grip on the weight loss thing.

I am going to start working out (more regularly) and cutting back on the smoking again until I quit, i think the working out will help because I feel better and more motivated.

Thanks for asking........I think........no I really need to quit, it's a disgusting habit that kills.

I will get in great shape and smoke free.......and probably get hit by a meteorite ! Stick out tongue

I stopped about 3 months ago, but I have to be honest and say that I still have about 1 per day and justify that because it's not 2 packs per day, but that is just a cop out on my part and it needs to be none beacause it would only take one really bad event for me to justify going right back into it. I will say that the Chantix made it much easier this time but you still have to want to do it.

Well Pete, one is better than two packs.I too thought about how could I get through tough times without a smoke.I also could not even think about coffee and no smoke, or having a beer with friends and not smoking.I have saved $4500 in about 15 months, smoked Vantage and they weren't cheap.All those things are still fine, coffee is great and no smoke needed, I can have a beer and not even think of smoking.I'm not bragging, much, but I have surprised everyone, most of all myself.I know you all are just as strong, you just may not believe it, but you are, I believe it.

I am still "quite" since June of '07, thanks in large part to this thread and GaryMD's suggestion to get Chantix (I highly reccomend this medication). Compared to trying to quit without it, it was a breeze.

Travis

Hey Travis. Long time, no chat.

Also smoke-free since Aug 07 - began Chantix in May 07 but cheated a bit until August 8th when I had my final smoke. Never had the urge to go back even once.

Yes, Chantix helped both me and the wife quit 4 1/2 years ago. Seems a lifetime ago.

I went back and read much of this thread, very interesting.There has been lots of changes and a few old friends no longer with us, but their words still are with us.

Congrats to all that quit and to all that are thinking hard about it keep thinking.It is quite possible this thread has saved a life or two, at least maybe someone you love that did not choose to smoke.

• Moderators

.I also could not even think about coffee and no smoke, or having a beer with friends and not smoking.

That's what got me the first time I tried to quit, alcohol, I rarely drink, really just a social drinker, On my birthday a few years ago I got up and wanted to do something positive, don't know what got in to me ? Sept 21, I went without smoking until that New Years eve when I had a few drinks with friends and started smoking again, like a bad new year resolution.

We don't smoke in the house so I have to go outside to do it which does make it inconvenient. The cruise and then the holidays have been bad for my diet, only gained a couple of pounds but I need to get back into my normal routine. That should only take a few days and i can get back to cutting back on smoking, I can't do both I tried it. I love to cook, and eat, so the food addiction is as bad as the smoking addiction, but I can do it. [Y]

Good luck to any one trying either, it's not impossible you can do it.

I'm 57 and started smoking when I was 27-28 while on months long alert with no brewskis. I have tried hypnotism (lasted 3 months), the patch (bad dreams), Wellbutrin (slowed but didn't stop) and now I am on my 31st day of Chantix (I occasionally sneak a hit of Malboro about once every 3 days). Chantix: EAT before taking!

• 8 years later...

Thanks, Travis. Don't recall this thread. Agreed about take Chantix immediately before or after food. Made me pretty sick the first time or two until I drank a lot of water with it and ate. Not sure it is doing much, but taking it anyway. 

Dave

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Thanks, Travis. Don't recall this thread. Agreed about take Chantix immediately before or after food. Made me pretty sick the first time or two until I drank a lot of water with it and ate. Not sure it is doing much, but taking it anyway. 

Dave

It will work, trust me. Take the time to read back through this thread, GaryMd, Myself, and I think even Amy all quit with this thread.

Travis

Chantix is a Dangerous drug and I would not take it.

I Quit smoking over 5 years ago and did it with Vaping.

I use HALO Liquids made in Florida.

I stopped smoking the very first day and never looked back.

I am Much Better off than I was 5 years ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rebuy said:

Chantix is a Dangerous drug and I would not take it.

I Quit smoking over 5 years ago and did it with Vaping.

I use HALO Liquids made in Florida.

I stopped smoking the very first day and never looked back.

I am Much Better off than I was 5 years ago.

vaping is smoking --

• Like 1