Forum friends: Be thinking of us next week...

fini

It's gonna be a doozie. My wife Cathy goes in for surgery on Monday the 18th, and my daughter Paloma goes in on Thursday the 21st. To add to the stress, there's an element of uncertainty about both procedures.

My wife might be getting anything from biopsies, to a full hysterectomy. They won't know untill they "get in there." She's amazingly upbeat and looking forward to this, although the "not knowing" makes it hard to plan, especially for the recovery. This will happen at UCSF, about an hour away.

My daughter, 17, is scheduled for a Roux-En-Y gastric bypass (like Cal Blacksmith's). She suffers from off-the-charts acid reflux (causing debilitatingly painful esophageal spasms), and we've spent most of the year coming to the conclusion that this surgery is her best hope (many, many doctor visits, ph studies, endoscopes, and other tests). She has exhausted what medicine can do for her, and RNY is the definitive solution for acid reflux. As a side benefit (and the reason most get this operation), she will lose a lot of excess weight. This, of course, is the reason for most of these operations, which leads to the complications with her situation. It seems the insurance company (Blue Cross) requires a patient be on a 6-month medically supervised weight loss program to be considered for this operation. Now, Paloma has tried to lose weight, but it hasn't been a documented "program." Her doctor is fighting for her, setting up a peer review between himself and BC's doctors. As of right now, her surgery is denied, but still scheduled for Thursday. We're really hopeful of approval. The poor girl's been suffering too long, and we are working to get her back in school for her senior year. She missed 4 months of her junior year because of the acid reflux.

So, keep the fingers crossed, and the positive vibes headed our way. With luck, all I will have to worry about is being a good nurse!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my thoughts in and in my prayers fini. Best wishes fo a full recovery for both. I live with acid reflux as well, not on the level of your daughter but it is one uncomfortable conditions to have!! And if they were to put me on a diet, I'd be not much more than a skeleton.

• Moderators

Sure will Fini, we hope everything goes so well the only unusual part of the whole thing is you as their nurse. [;)]

Take good care of them, and try not to let it get you down and cause you problems, they will need you when they come home.

Keep us updated next week.

If I can offer any advice, it would be to get them out of the hospital and active as soon as they can tolerate it. I've become something of a surgery pro now - I've had five surgeries since my motorcycle wreck last fall and I still have one more to go. The hardest part of all was dealing with a MRSA infection that I picked up during my initial hospital/rehab stay - it took three operations and long bout on IV antibiotics to shake it. I think it's a fair question to ask the docs about their precautions for infections. Also, since they had to cut into same area so many times, I developed an incisional hernia ( hence the need for another surgery) - I think it's fair to inquire about this as well.

I hope I haven't given you further cause for concern - I was in pretty rough shape and my initial operations were under emergency conditions so the procedures you're looking at should, hopefully, go much smoother. I'd never spent the night in a hospital before and now the thought of having another operation is no big deal anymore (I've grown to have a lot of confidence in the surgeons) - but don't be shy about asking any "stupid" questions.

All the best for you and your ladies.

Gregg consider it done. You, Cathy and Paloma will for sure be in our thoughts and prayers, hugs n good vibes from SoCal. BC p!sses me off too, they currently do not cover the CGMS system I want ot move to when my current insulin pump goes out of warranty in 18 mo.

R/Jim n Michelle