• Recent Topic Activity

• Recent Posts

• Steve Macchio versus Robert Fripp          
    • GMRS, ham, doesn't matter; lightning doesn't discriminate!   If you're just grounding the coax and not the mast, you only need a polyphaser, which must be located inside the house as they are not meant for external mounting. The polyphaser has a ground lug hole so you can run a ground wire to a water pipe. Typically a 6ga. wire is used, which is good up to 13ft. (Motorola R-56 standards).   Ideally all your electrical grounds should be at the same physical point (cable, electrical, telephone, etc.) so you'd want to connect your coax ground to the same point if possible.   Ideally you'd ground the mast as well, and the mast ground and the coax ground should be connected together. In that instance you'd run a ground rod (8ft. is standard). That ground rod should be connected to the house's existing electrical service ground rod.   In your case I don't see a ground rod is necessary.   The EverDry system sounds like a trench with perhaps corrugate pipe and gravel. A ground rod needs soil contact. I wouldn't bother trying to find a location where the trench is interrupted so you could drive a ground rod. Tie everything to a water pipe or your electrical system's ground and call it good.      
    • Phil Collins; The Essential Going Back  
    • I look at this forum as an educational tool.  We all learn from others.  I owned forte II for 35 years, another forum member has them now.  I currently own forte IV.  The heresy in most cases will require a sub for any decent lows.  Whereas the forte has enough low end for music with no sub required.  Even with movies they get by on their own, unless you are looking for subterranean bass.  The forte needs to be placed 6-10 inches off the rear wall in order for the passive radiator to do its part. 
    • Make sure you check Facebook marketplace too, that's where I find most of my deals. You can definitely find Klipsch heritage in that price range on there. you probably wanna look at Heresy I and II for under 1k, Fortes for 1.2K and than the Chorus would be in that 1.5 to 2 range. The KG series is even a really good budget option if he wants to wait to find a good deal on something nicer. I have a set of Khorns, KG4s and Heresy IIs. They are all nice but in a totally different way. I also wouldn't worry too much about oversizing with any of these smaller speakers. I think my room is like 16 x 12 and I have my Khorns in there and they work great. I would just remind him that the Khorns are a totally different animal than anything listed and to expect the sound to be different. It depends on where you're at in Iowa, but I would either wait till you find something near you that's a good deal or head to the nearest metro area to find something sooner. Again not sure where in Iowa you are, but if its the North west, Im in sioux falls and he can hear any of the options I have if he wants an idea on their sounds. Best of luck.   Omaha Heresy 1 $550 and walnut too boot https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1760993664724139/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post   Des Moines Heresy 2 800 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/516752291002321/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post   Belle Plaine / Chelsea IA Forte II 1250 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2282674358743296/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post   Fair Grove, MO Chorus II 1700 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/372397112573823/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post      
    • Late to the party, but my 1982 Heresy play great with my CS300F.
    • Hey y'all!   So, I'm grounding an antenna for a GMRS radio and I'm running up against some problems possibly.   The antenna is on top of the house (ranch) with the radio in the basement. The coax between the two has a sacrificial unit that allows the ground wire (I'm using 4 ga.) to extend to the copper grounding rod to be driven into the soil next to the house's foundation.   So here's the two things I'm not sure about: I read where the grounding rod should be buried 8-feet deep. But is that for a HAM antenna, a whole-house electric or is this still needed for a GMRS radio?   Secondly, our house has an Ever-Dry system for the surrounding rainwater to keep the basement from flooding. But can I drive the 8-foot rod (1/2" dia.) down that far and not disturb the Ever-Dry system?   I'm having the PUCO (Public Utilities Commission of Ohio) come out to find most of the buried utilities (water, electric, phone, cable, etc). It's a free service.
    • @Chief bonehead owns both, compared them extensively in the same room (and of course designed them both). 
    • To celebrate the 2024 King Crimson Beat tour by Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, Steve Vai, Danny Carey    I will be spinning these in order of release over the next few days  
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      2.4m
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Urbinjester