• Recent Topic Activity

• Recent Posts

• There were not many measures, but over the years I had gained knowledge about what I had done wrong with my 1977 LaScala, other xovers, other caps, etc. So I didn't have to go down all the wrong paths again for years. This thread is a small summary of various threads that describe individual tasks. At the beginning of June, I bought these 1973 Khorns in beautiful Iseo, Italy, from an extremely nice and friendly family at a very fair price. Sadly, the father had passed away two years ago, and these Khorns were his pride and joy. I had to promise the son who had advertised the speakers that I was not a soulless reseller but would use the Khorns for my own enjoyment. He had offered them at a reasonable price, but he wanted them to end up in good hands. There were three serious candidates among many others. I had to write a kind of application to buy them. That wasn't difficult for me, because I meant it honestly and every word was true. So I won the bid and picked up the Khorns in Italy. At first I had replaced the original K33V, yes they really existed for a short period of time according to Jim Hunter. One had a loose voice coil and I borrowed the K33E from my LaScala.   The sound of the old K33E was good so far. I put the fact that I didn't have much low bass down to a missing side wall in the living room.   In the end, I decided on brand new original Klipsch K33E from the German importer. They are surprisingly affordable at around €180 each plus shipping. I've only had them installed for three days. OMG! What a transformation of the sound. Super powerful dry spatial deep bass and a wonderful coupling to the K400 above. The 1977 K33E were very softly suspended, the new K33E much tighter. Even though ferrite magnets retain their strength, the old K33E was just limp and very tired in direct comparison. It is such a dramatic increase in quality that if someone has such old LaScalas or Khorns with original woofers, they might consider an exchange. Because there was never any abuse of the old K33E, they look visually perfect. It's the age.   I treated the cabinets several times with Howard lemon oil, especially from the back and in the woofer chamber. This way, some musty old wood smell has permanently disappeared. I renewed all the soldering points, cut the wiring in the cable shoes and soldered them fresh.   As an interim solution, I installed my K55V from the LaScala and a fresh rubber seal because these K55V got new membranes three years ago. I used a set of new JEM caps. The old caps were still dry, but the sound was fuzzy and much quieter. Compared to other polyester caps, I have to say that the JEMs actually sound smoother and very nice. Other polyester caps like the ones I use in the LaScala sound a bit drier in the negative sense. Yes, I tried the LaScala Xover on the 1973 Khorns to have a proper comparison.     I still have to resolder the cables of the K77 tweeters, but for that I need a longer screwdriver that goes through the crossbeam to be able to remove them. Unfortunately, the photos are very blurry. The forum used to allow a higher resolution, or does each one have a contingent and mine is full? All in all, I now have a wonderful sound experience. By resoldering the cables and the points on the coils of the xovers, the sound has become more open and less tiring on the ear, that is not an illusion. They are wonderful speakers for any kind of music. I enjoyed my Underground Jubilees for 16 years. The switch to the vintage Khorn was partly because I didn't want to sell the UJs under time pressure, because we'll soon be moving into a slightly smaller apartment as empty nesters. Secondly, it has been my dream for 50 years to own a real Khorn. I always had reservations because I was afraid that it might boom and I had no alternative to setting it up than in the corners. To my great surprise, the Khorn is one of the loudspeakers I know that has the least boom, if any. I would make the same decision again in a heartbeat. Listening to music with these Khorn speakers brings joy and a grin to my 65-year-old face.    
    • Yes, thanks to  @Invidiosulus and Bruce for the information... good sleuthing.
    • https://www.discogs.com/release/7655964-Dream-Theater-Images-And-Words  
    • I hadn't heard about the project before Steve G's video because I rarely watch that section, and I was just about to post the video here in ‘two channel,’ but Billybob1 has already done it. I've known about Ojas since Guttenberg made a video with Devon a few years ago...and his love of Japanese (sound) culture and beautiful design, such as USM Haller cabinets and tables.   https://industrialkonzept.com/blogs/magazine/devon-turnbull-devonojas?srsltid=AfmBOor24RDyHRJNVXAnK635JgzJ3DsMLJlqlOALxSxqOa7vRlVBIzLA   KOR1 looks very interesting. It makes me curious to know who the target group will be? I assume that such questions were discussed internally by Roy and Devon before the joint venture, of course. It could be a win-win situation. More awareness for Devon's speakers and more freedom for Roy to create something new that doesn't clash with the Heritage Lineup under this new name, even if it hits pretty much the same price range. I really like the functional design of the KOR1. It reminds me of the old Klipschorn Decorator models, which I love very much, even though they require more dusting. But I'm also very happy with my 1973 regular Klipschorns. The horn of the KOR1 reminds me a bit of the old Altec horns, which doesn't have to be a bad thing in terms of design. Ok, you think more of a loft with this speaker, but it could also inspire users for the living room with its shape.
    • https://www.discogs.com/release/4920229-April-Wine-The-Nature-Of-The-Beast  
    • on eBay checkout seller Rarewaves outlet  Going at a great price at the moment         
    • If you Google it Klipsch has the procedure on their website.   https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025674551-Reference-Premiere-Tweeter-Woofer-Removal
    • @AndreG.   Enjoy!   Elton's Honky Chateau   GoodNight All
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      2.4m
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    KB17