THANK GOD I SURVIVED!

BigStewMan

I wrote a thread the other day speaking of how many fortunate things were happening to me (pay raise, etc...) I logged off this very forum sunday evening and started to walk across the street to get some dinner. I was in the crosswalk and got hit by a truck. He was making a left turn and didn't see me (legally crossing the street). No brakes, no nothing just slammed right into me. i heard the paramedics say that i dented up the front of the truck.

BY THE GRACE OF GOD, and only by HIS GRACE--I'm alive (in more pain than I've ever been in before) with three completely broken ribs, and every part of my body is either ligament damage, muscle strain, or road rash. Ultrasound of abdomen showed all organs normal, CT scan and Xrays showed NO spine damage.

Pretty bad whiplash and I could move my head side to side, but could not lift it off the bed.

left the hospital yesterday. my daughter is over taking care of me. i had to yell for her at 2:30 this morning when i couldn't get out of bed and needed to use the bathroom.

It has given me the chance to see that I really do have caring children.

so, even though this event is not something that I ever want to endure again, my blessings are still here, as I know that I could very easily have been killed.

did i mention that three broken ribs really hurt?

Steve

wow. Glad to hear you survived. You dented the front of the truck? yikes. That ain't no love tap.

At the risk of being morbid, this might be a good opportunity to remind you/everyone who reads this...

Make sure your 'affairs' are in order (bank accounts, stock accounts, IRA's, beneficiarys, trusts, wills...) because you never know what might happen.

Keep us appraised of your healing.

Steve,

I am on purpose NOT making this post funny! Man, what a story! Here's to a complete recovery!

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? It sounds like you must be in pretty good physical condition (except for the accident, I mean). Good luck!!

Steve,

I am on purpose NOT making this post funny!  Man, what a story!  Here's to a complete recoveryBeer!

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?  It sounds like you must be in pretty good physical condition (except for the accident, I mean).  Good luck!!

thank you guys for the good wishes. I'm 48; but, today feel about 184.

• Moderators

Glad you did make it through it alive, and that you have a good daughter, as strange as it may seem, things always happen for a reason, some good will come out of it. Just take care of yourself and get better, that's all you can do for now. And I think you are thanking the right people already ! [Y]

Glad to hear you weren't hurt worse!

My Mom made a panic stop when I was about 10 back before seatbelts were mandatory. I flew into the windshield and cracked it with my head. I started bawling and my Mom thought it was because I cracked my head open or something. It really was because I thought she'd be mad at me that my big noggin broke the windshield!

I was in the crosswalk and got hit by a truck. He was making a left turn and didn't see me (legally crossing the street). No brakes, no nothing just slammed right into me.

did i mention that three broken ribs really hurt? Steve

Glad to hear you are doing better and have a caring daughter to help you recover!!

This almost happened to my sister as we were walking across the street Monday. We were crossing the street(legally) and if my sister had not jumped out of the way a car would have hit her. If I had been on the outside and she had been on the inside while walking I would have been hit since I was not paying attention.

I have had bruised ribs on both sides and that hurt like He!!. Everytime you try and contract your abs and muscles around the ribs to get up out of bed it feels like someone is punching you in the ribs.

I hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Wow, Steve, glad you're OK, sorta. Clearly, God is not through with you here yet. I'm glad you're still here and able to share with us.

The very same thing happened to my wife's grandmother years ago. Hear spine was broken and she spent the rest of her life in a wheel chair. The driver was drunk and uninsured.

You will be in prayers for a speedy recovery!!

Sounds like your recovery atleast is taken care of...

I was in Manhattan today and two tourists decided to walk illegally acoss the street and almost met their maker with a delivery truck. They started shouting, this doesn't happen (I couldn't hear the state or place they were front, road construction) They should have switched places with you.