Let's Build Us a Band

thebes

Been watching this Jools Live program on tv. It's a British thing with 5 bands on each show. Jhools is some sort of piano player who can't speak a word of real english, so I never have any idea what the names of the bands are. Some of the bands are really good, like Taj Mahal's latest and Robert Cray etc., but most of them strike me as the typical lead singer, drummer and two guitars type, with some extra sidemen thrown in by the record companies because they are on the BBC.

I don't know about you, but I gettin kinda tired of the testosterone laced, angst ridden, love stricken treacle, squeezed out of the bumpkiss of banality and passing for the latest in tonal irony, kinda band.

So I'm thinking, this here's America, we don't have to stand for this, we can build our own. That's right, a can do project to utilize our extensive listening experience to build, not the perfect band, but something we'd want on our changers.

Not quite sure how to go about this though. Do we start with a general type of music are we want to hear, or build up the type of players we want, then decide where to go with it creatively?

Since I don't know, I think I'll start out with the basics.

We need a horn section, a nice large one with an incredible collection of cool cats, with lots of swagger and major chops.

Not sure if we a drummer though.

I don't know about you guys but I'm not too busy this winter, so I think we could toss this around for quite awhile, get some contracts signed at the end of it, kick back and watch the royalties roll in.

Micheal Colter, of course, will come out retirement to provide the stage gear.

My little brother is a fine trumpet player and just graduated with a degree in composition so he could handle the arranging needs. I think as long as thebes is writing our press releases we'll do fine. I inherited the playing guitar and bass thing from Marvel.

I don't know Larry, I foresee this as a serious studio effort, culminating in an appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. Although I must admit, Spike Jones, is something of a hero of mine.

I suppose we could allow drummers in, I'm sure their mothers would be happy to see them go.

So that stand up bass thing, is that the overgrown violin the size of a man that those '50's combos used to pluck? That would be cool, give us a jazzy, hep vibe.

Which brings us to violins, a double edged sword that can lend a classy air or turn the music into treacle in the wrong hands. Maybe fiddles, dobros and other odd plucked instruments is in order.

I'm sure Indy would be glad to provide some vocals, but I'm also thinking various flavors of female singers, just as long as they don't over-emote the singing to death.

Sounds like we have our work cut out for us. A ways to go.

We're probably going to need some lyrics at some point or do we want to do covers?

You do know how many drummers there are on this forum eh thebes? Maybe we'll get together and pay you a visit, you know, all friendly like...Angel

Remember oddjob from Goldfinger? I'm sharpening up my Zildjian as we speak.

I've got some old ludwig pieces from the 60's at least thats what I was told they were from.