Just got some Belle's

merkin

I just picked up some belle's on CL. I believe they are 84's WO s/n 8443891 AB networks. Kind of rough cabinets. They have been attacked by cats. The original lower grills are gone and have been replaced by a straight grill cloth across the front. Are there kits to rebuild the original lower grills? Do I need to just build my own frames and some after market grill cloths. I hooked them up and they sound great. A much better sound stage than the forte II's. Any of the newer CD's the vocals sound like they are coming from the center. I have to get up to be sure that my center speaker is off and the pre amp is on stereo. I know they probably need caps and excetra but I'll just listen for now and think about refinishing them. I might need to learn how to veneer.

Congrats on great speakers.I love mine their imaging is as good as my Khorns.I would listen for sometime before thinking about upgrades.If it ain't broke and sound good that's all that mattters mine are 32 years old and still sound great.Although i may replace the tweeters soon.

They are one of the best Klipsch speakers imo and I'd rank it above La Scala I. The ability to move it around to improve imaging makes it more flexible than Khorn imo. Post some pics. I've never seen anyone fix grills on Belles. One of the reasons I got rid of mine was girlfriend with a dam cat :'(

I have a complete set of the grill pieces that I am going to "strip" and make new ones from as a template. Unfortunately I will not "git' a round to'it" for at least a month or so, so that's of no use to you right now. That being said, assuming you are "normally clever".... You can make the lower grill frames from 1/2 plywood pieces. First cut out the pieces with a 30 (I believe...) degree angle on the vertical edges and fit them appropriately; then cut out the "holes". Use black grill cloth from Bob Crites, and staple the fabric to the pieces. When installing them, you will have to either use the original vertical screw holes, or...... use velcro to keep them in place.

Everyone loves Belles--I wonder if Klipsch will ever put out another batch--some sort of anniversary or limited edition. Or do people like them because they aren't made anymore? Even before I knew anything at all about speakers--I fell in love with the look of the Belles.

Come on Klipsch--Bring Back the Belles!

I just picked up some belle's on CL. I believe they are 84's WO s/n 8443891 AB networks. Kind of rough cabinets. They have been attacked by cats. The original lower grills are gone and have been replaced by a straight grill cloth across the front. Are there kits to rebuild the original lower grills? Do I need to just build my own frames and some after market grill cloths. I hooked them up and they sound great. A much better sound stage than the forte II's. Any of the newer CD's the vocals sound like they are coming from the center. I have to get up to be sure that my center speaker is off and the pre amp is on stereo. I know they probably need caps and excetra but I'll just listen for now and think about refinishing them. I might need to learn how to veneer.

this is exactly what happens with my Cornwalls when I got them a few weeks ago. My TV sits between the Cornwalls, and I SWEAR the music was coming from the TV, even though it's OFF and UNPLUGGED.

I am still upset with myself for getting rid of my '98s. What a dumbass move that was.

Enjoy. They are great speakers and someday you will have them looking sharp too.

Edit: As far as the center image comments.......My Cornwalls and Khorns image every bit as well as the Belles did. It shouldn't have much to do with the speaker itself. It's all in the placement. As long as your equipment is sending a balanced stereo signal to your speakers, you should always get a great center image. Maybe size and room issues make some difference but anyone who doesn't get a great center image should play with their placement or make sure they are in-phase.

Everyone loves Belles--I wonder if Klipsch will ever put out another batch--some sort of anniversary or limited edition. Or do people like them because they aren't made anymore? Even before I knew anything at all about speakers--I fell in love with the look of the Belles.

I think their reasoning is, they've combined the beauty of the Belle with the parts of the LaScala and the LaScala II is now the replacement for both, the original LaScala and the Belle.

Simply parts a little too, now they have a single K401 horn for the Khorn and LaScala II instead of the K401 horn for those and the K??? horn for the Belle.

Plain and simple they just didn't sell that many anymore. They likely won't bring it back. The La Scala did sell better. They fixed the cabinet flexing with the introduction of the La Scala II's which made the LF perform on bar with the Belle. The Belles shorter width kept the LF from flexing. I sold and had mine before they were discontinued. Prices will go up over the next several years. If it is Heritage it ROCKS! Hand made in Hope USA!

I think their reasoning is, they've combined the beauty of the Belle with the parts of the LaScala and the LaScala II is now the replacement for both, the original LaScala and the Belle.

Simply parts a little too, now they have a single K401 horn for the Khorn and LaScala II instead of the K401 horn for those and the K??? horn for the Belle.

do any la scalas have the grills on the lower portion? i've only seen that in belles.

do any la scalas have the grills on the lower portion? i've only seen that in belles.

Buying poor mans LaScalas back in 1979 (unfinished birch) I don't really know. I would like to think it would be fairly easy to form some in there if someone were so inclined?

The mouth of the LaScala bin IS somewhat of a dust catcher I must admit...however...that said, it's kind of interesting and intimidating to see the speaker before you and stare down its throats (all three of them)

Nothing soft & pretty about a LaScala

This thread inspires a number of thoughts...

1) I SOOOO miss my Belles. I acquired a pair by way of an "interesting" trade for a substantial quantity of a still illegal intoxicant while in college. I didn't live in the dorms but shared a house with 3 other guys. Let's just say that the Belles saw their share of SERIOUS parties an never broke a sweat. I got married and the wife deemed them too big and too ugly and they had to go. I ended up giving them to a friend (sold actually but he never paid me). In retrospect I should have gotten rid of the wife (something I did some years later) rather than the Belles.

2) TUBES... TUBES... TUBES... Do it now. Don't wait. Don't hesitate. There's nothing quite like the sound produced by a pair of heritage Klipsch and even the most modest of tube amps. I'm currently running a pair of La Scalas (there's a couple of threads about them) driven by a pair of Dynaco MK IV monoblocks. Short version... I'm in audio heaven.

3) I'm not sure why I still seek a pair of Belles. I'm VERY happy with my La Scalas. They produce almost the best music I've ever heard. I guess it's the nostalgia thing having previously owned a pair. I watch for Belles constantly. Of the very few pairs that have showed up within a reasonable driving distance they were either trashed or too expensive to consider. I keep watching though. Sooner or later a pair will show up at a point where I can cough up the coin and it'll be all over.

Enjoy your Belles. They're a very very special breed of speaker.

Jeff, Wow, very nice Scalas! I got those K-400 horns today (from that fellow) and they turned out to be K-401 horns

There's nothing "wrong" with K-401s. At least you don't have to bother with rope-caulk or dynamat or any of the other methods employed to deal with the ringing of metal horns. A pair of K-401s at $65 shipped is a pretty decent deal.

I sold my K-400s on ebay for just under $200 [:D] and the new owner is very happy. P.T.Barnum was right [;)]

Congrats on great speakers.I love mine their imaging is as good as my Khorns.I would listen for sometime before thinking about upgrades.If it ain't broke and sound good that's all that mattters mine are 32 years old and still sound great.Although i may replace the tweeters soon.

I felt the same way about my 30 year old La Scala's. I bought them from the original owner and they sounded amazing. I was talking to Bob Crites on the phone one night and asked him: Do you really think they can sound better with new Caps/crossovers? He just laughed!

The new crossovers came a couple of days later and I could not believe my ears. It was literally like taking a blanket off my speakers. Over the next couple of weeks, they just sounded better and better. Now, I wish I would have done it sooner.

Sure, enjoy them for now. They sound amazing. But when you start to wonder if the can sound better........they CAN!!!!

Congrats on the new Belles! They are truly beautiful speakers!

Dennie