It's official: As of December 31st, I am laid off. "Crappy New Year!"

picky

Just got the paperwork this morning. At least it's good to have a date. A lot of my good friends weren't so lucky; they found out as it was happening. I can't afford to retire yet, so I will look for something else. We've know this was coming for a long time. I feel I was lucky to last as long as I did there. My boss will be gone, too. It's too bad because I love my job and the folks I've been working with. All things must pass, I suppose. - Glenn

I'm sorry to hear the news Glenn. Its been almost 4 months now since I last made the commute to work after 23 years with the same company. The job search has been slow but things seem to be picking up. After no calls for over a month, I got 5 in two days last week. I hope one of them works out. The waiting is torture.

My advice is to begin networking if you haven't already. Get on LinkedIn and have some of your co-workers recommend you. You can help each other. Get help with your resume if you need it. I don't know about you but it's a whole new world since I last had to look. Indeed.com is the best job search site although I'm sure you know most of this stuff.

Start your job search now. Companies with Sept 30 fiscal years are beginning to fill budgeted positions. The same will happen after Dec 31st. If you do find something now, maybe your company will let you go early and still give you the same package?

Good luck!

Glenn,

Sorry to hear you are being laid off. Good luck on the job search. FWIW, I heard a job recruiter on TV today say that during the holiday period, many people slow down on the job search, which gives an advantage to those who keep looking hard.

That sucks big time!

I can only just parrot what everybody else already said on the "good luck" thing and hope it turns out.

With all the resources on the internet, it has to be much easier than when I found my first job back in 1993 (which I found via answering a "Want Ad" in the Washington Post of all things, which I found in the public library in Columbus, OH, where I was living at the time!) I lucked into my current position via word of mouth (yup - that much ballyhoo'ed "networking" thing - it does indeed work!). Find out if your old coworkers have that found new positiions have openings available.

Hell, I actually got openings at my company right now - we are in need of software engineers. If anybody on here that lives in or willing to move to the DC/Richmond, VA area that has software engineering experience, especially in cellular technologies (which would be a real plus), send me a resume (I am one of the senior engineers there)! The company is located just north of Fredericksburg, VA, but we also have a satellite office in Gaithersburg, MD. If interested, e-mail me, and I'll give you more details.

Sorry for the hi-jack, Glenn, but figured in this day an age, in light of your current misfortune, there are still outfits, including mine, that are indeed hiring, and if I can help somebody out to land a very nice, well-paying job, at an excellent little company, in what I consider to be a nice geographic area, all the more better.