First song or album on tube amp?

muel

I would try something that has been recorded with tube equipment, or some music that used tube amps. I listened to Lenny Kravitz's Sister off the Are You Gonna Go My Way CD. His guitarist uses a vintage tube amp with some sweet distortion that sounds great through a tube amp. Another favorite of mine is Janis Joplin/ Big Brother and the Holding Company live version of Ball and Chain (Cheap Thrills LP). Excellent tube guitar amp again. If you are like me, you'll find that everything sounds better through tubes!

I listen to Dark Side of the Moon as reference before changing out anything; then listen to it after to compare the differences. Take the time to listen to what ever you choose in a relaxed setting prior to listening with the new tube amp.

I am sure there are those that will suggest the tubes will need some burn in / break in time before they really come in to their own sound. Any thoughts from the other brothers? Later Bill

I am sure there are those that will suggest the tubes will need some burn in / break in time before they really come in to their own sound. Any thoughts from the other brothers?

Definitely. Tubes and other replaced innards like caps.

40 hrs is a nice round number, sooner if you think the sound has nearly finished improving.

I really like The Beatles on tubes. Like Jerol said, Abbey Road or maybe The White Album. Cat Stevens has some really nice acoustic guitar. Female vocals are nice also. Just choose something you know well.

And of course...The Grateful Dead is a no-brainer. American Beauty (Ripple is nice), Workingman's Dead or Mars Hotel assuming you like the Dead.

Whatever you choose, make sure it's something you know well. I remember the first time I listened to my 299b. I just couldn't believe how good it sounded. Unbroken Chain from "From The Mars Hotel" album on MFSL CD was my song and I heard instruments I didn't know existed in a song I'd heard a thousand times or more.

Gary, you got it all wrong...gotta be Box of Rain if it is the Dead.[:D]

However, I vote for The Who. All for sides of Quadrophenia. I am the Sea right into Real Me followed by Quadrophenia will be killer and is a tough trio to beat. Tommy is nice and well recorded too. Gotta rock it out to Houses of the Holly too. Tubes horns and the female voice are sublime so female Jazz vocals will not let you down. So many choices.

J.S. Bach: Suites for Solo Cello as played by Janos Starker.

I've got that one on LP. Nice vintage recording of a standout performance. I'm not a fan of those early Mercury stereo LP's (I know, lots of people 'in the know' are gaga over them) but this one gets it right.

Diana Krall "Garden in the Rain". Here's why. If you can't hear the noise suppression pumping in and out your highs are rolled off too much. If the bass isn't bloated and over done, you are too lean on the bottom end. Her voice should be solid and centered, without any bumps or bass underline. Get that right and you'll be pretty close.

Thanx, Russ

I also vote for Steely Dan's "AJA". But as a tube lover I must say it's not the first "cut" that matters, it's what it sounds like once the tubes are good and HOT[6] 100 hours playtime for break-in of a fresh rebuild, one hour of warm up per session for the tubes to reach optimum temp and sound.

"Unbroken Chain" (Grateful Dead) WILL test your amp's power supply and bass response. For what it's worth, it took stepping up to VRD monoblocks to provide proper control of the bass, as it is very "busy" in the lower registers, indeed[:)]

First of all, whatever you musically decide, it must be on vinyl, otherwise all is for naught.

Some of my favs have already been mentioned like Dark Side of the Moon.

But this is also a fantastic, a very "tube-like" sounding recording ~ Marshall Tucker Band "Searchin' For a Rainbow". Lush and gorgeous guitar sounds, great vocals, strong thumpin groovin bass and silky smooth percussion.

It figures... my wife left 20 minutes before I got home tonight and that is when Fedex showed up. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to get that 299B [:'(]

This is an already broken in NOSvalve job so assuming it arrives safely after 2 days rattling around town on the back of a truck it should be good to go (I'll reseat the tubes first).

I had thought of Dark Side of the Moon... it was my first CD when I bought my first CD player 25 or so years ago. Next came Boston and Led Zepplin IV. I still have all my vinyl but I'll probably choose a CD because my TT setup is a little weak. It is a Denon DP-23F with a Stanton L720 cart. I was thinking about replacing the Stanton with a Shure m97xe... do you think that would get me by or is that a waste? The Denon is working perfectly well... I used it only to play most of my records only once or twice to record it to tape (remember those?) on my Nakamichi. Then along came CDs and I stored the vinyl away for a couple of decades. Time to get it out!

A lot of great choices mentioned! I'm all over the place... Little Feat, Bob Dylan, Julie London, Ella Fitzgerald, Beatles, Hendrix, Aaron Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man (but I don't have a very good recording of that). That Bach selection would be great, too. I guess I have another day to think it over.