End Of an ERA.

ZAKO

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ross Perot was right, "That giant sucking sound" you hear is the sound of manufacturing jobs disappeaing from our country. NAFTA has been horrible for the manufacturing base of our country. Watch the Non-Farm Payroll numbers this Friday am, the manufacturing jobs aspect of the report will be depressing as usual.

Pull out of the WTO and immediately put 300% tariffs on all Chinese manufactured stuff. The tariffs amounts will be keyed on the other countries wages, polution conformities, human rights performance, insurance costs, union representation, and wether we like them or not.

JJK

I knew some guys that had it made. They were maintenance workers for a major US manufacturer. I did contract service work there for a few years but only 1 week per year. It was 5 days at a lick. Anyway, there were like 7 or 8 guys sitting in that maintenance shack every time I walked in. My equipment required battery swaps every 2 hours so I kinda knew those guys would be in there and they always were. Mostly they sat around drawing a check every week. Day after day went by with them making some great wages for doing absolutely nothing. They really had it made. That was deal until the plant closed and all those jobs went to China or who knows where. These guys were just a microcosm of what the US has become. Now we are just a bunch of people running around selling insurance and services to each other. We are not producing anywhere near what we could. We as a nation just sitting around fat and happy.

A few years back I can remember sitting around the bar at Mortons. NAFTA and GATT were up for legislative discussion.I wasa sitting with a bunch of Banker- Stock broker- lawyer types and it seemed that I was the only one at the table who opposed these ideas. I said-Please exlanin to me why sending a 30.00 per hour production job out of the country to a worker who is willing to work for .20 centrs an hour- a bowl of rice and a pack of smokes is a good thing. We will kill our manufacturing base and we will cease to be a force in world manufacturing. I was told that this was a complicated issue and that it would take hours to explain. I told them that I had plenty of time - please proceed. The subject quickly was changed to the latest sports event.

We are hearing the "sucking sound" loud and clear. We sold out for a few big comission checks and short term greed. Now we are screwed.

JBL /Mexico sucks.

When I met my wife she had a Volkswagen Jetta. Great little car, handles like a dream, plenty of power even though on a 4 banger and outstanding gas mileage. We had to sell the car, nothign but problems. It turned out that it was made in Mexico and they always had problems while the ones in Germany seemed to last forever.

I would not have a problem taking some bitter medicine to improve our manufacturing base, as we do not make anything anymore. But that will never fly, everyone wants an easy answer and everything done immidiately. Gee, why isn't the economy fixed yet, it's been a whole year?