O.T.--Prostate Cancer

kevinmi

OK here's the deal--I've just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I know it's pretty common, and the survival rate is good if caught early enough. I know a lot of guys have been through this, and my question is, what options do you think are best, and why? I know of the planting of the "magic beans", and also of removal of the prostate. Any advice/comments on which road is better?

I've also heard of a fairly new treatment involving large horns, tube amps, and new vinyl of Jimi Hendrix played at 110 db. This procedure may not cure anything, but it sure can take your mind off of the stuff you don't want to think about!

Part 2: What Celebs have died of prostate cancer? The only one I know of is Frank Zappa.

Part 3: If Prostate cancer is so slow growing,treatable,etc., how could someone like Frank Zappa die from it?

Part 4: All you guys over 50, have your PSA checked once a year!

There are several options to treat this condition - I know several guys that have beaten it. A few of the most successful had radiation treatement in Southern CA at Loma Linda.

Part 2: What Celebs have died of prostate cancer?

Here is a writeup.

Part 3: If Prostate cancer is so slow growing,treatable,etc., how could someone like Frank Zappa die from it?

They didn't get treated at the right time. Go see doc on a regular basis & have the PSA tests, guys (also Part 4)...

Chris

OK here's the deal--I've just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I know it's pretty common, and the survival rate is good if caught early enough.

By the way - I didn't say it (I was rushing to get out the door this morning), but I'd say that if you had to have the "C"-word, this is one of the best types to have because it is so treatable. I know a lot of guys that have had it - and no one that has lost the battle...

You're in our thoughts. Hang in there. You're going to beat this.

Chris

If Prostate cancer is so slow growing,treatable,etc., how could someone like Frank Zappa die from it?

It seems to depend on the age of the patient. When it's first found in a 70-year-old, he generally doesn't have to worry about it, but when it strikes a man in his fifties, it's generally faster/more aggressive and will need to be treated. In either case, early detection is the key.

Modern radiation therapy is more accurately targetted than it used to be, so there's less likelihood of damage to adjacent tissues and organs nowadays, especially after you're given hormone suppressants for months to shrink the prostate before the radiation treatment begins, meaning a smaller volume (not area, we're 3-D creatures) is focussed on by the beam.

The beam of radiation is generally fired at the prostate from 3 directions, one at a time, by a large rotating machine, so the surrounding tissues only get one-third of the radiation that the tumor is being hit with. The treatment is painless and only takes a few minutes, but it may need thirty or forty sessions. You may get some radiation burns to the lower abdomen, but they're localized and no worse than a bad sunburn.

In the case of surgery, the problem is that important nerves can be cut in the process, resulting in ED and incontinence, two things you'd rather avoid.

All that being said, I'm not a doctor, so don't consider this to be a second opinion. Find out what you can and decide with your doctor what the best course of action is for you.

Almost forgot, you're right about Jimi. Listening to good music will improve your mood and stimulate your immune system. [:D]

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. [Y]

What is a PSA?

Prostate Specific Antigen. It's something that shows up in the blood that may indicate the presence of prostate cancer. There's a "normal" number range, but if the simple blood test shows a higher than normal number, it could be an infection, as in prostatitis, or it could mean cancer.

A normal number means test again at next year's physical, while a high number means further checking is called for.

Any man over fifty years old should get a PSA test once a year. It's sometimes covered by health plans, but if not, the cost is around $15-20 (in Canada), so it's not too costly to do it every year.

My dad had the implant (magic beans?) and is now doinig great. The only problem i recall is that you can't let your grand kids sit in your lap. Best of wishes.

These are little radiation 'bead' implants they place in close proximity to the primary tumor site. They use the approach of a low dose, long term, 24 hour radiation therapy. Cancers are far more treatable than ever before. I hope that your episode is short, uneventful and successful.

Sorry to hear about you're illness! You are completely correct in thinking that most people overcome this condition. Be positive and realize you have many options. Dont be afraid to do a little juice therapy! Good luck we are all pulling for you!

Here's an update:I went in for a consultation yesterday with my Urologist, and he recommends removal over radiation treatment. His argument is that both treatments have the same results for the first ten years, but after that the recurrance of cancer comes into play and the death rate increases. They usually use radiation treatment on older patients, and removal on younger patients. I'm going in for surgery on June 10. No sense in messing around with this cancer thing--get it removed ASAP!