Summer Heat: Survival Tips

fini

Here in Germany we are having one of the coolest wettest summers in a long time.

It is 09:00 in the morinin and around 55F with possibilities of rain.Indifferent

Temps only got over 82F once or twice this year.

Monday night here in Oregon it was raining so hard some of my co-workers were offering to drive others home. 100ft from parking to building and gentleman on oncoming shift was soaked. Looked like someone turned the water hose on him. Not much summer here this year. Wish we could send some of this wet stuff to those who need it.

Having worked in the Arctic for 10 years the original Air Force chill index worked very well. The newer chill index seemed to glorify things a bit. The heat index in my opinion was created by some weatherman to "ace" his competitor on the other channel.

JJK

We could alway simplify it to:

It is cold

It is warm

It is hot

That would work for me.

Pretty good, but I'd add "it is friggin' cold," and "it is friggin' hot" to the list.

It is cold

It is warm

It is hot

That would work for me.

Pretty good, but I'd add "it is friggin' cold," and "it is friggin' hot" to the list.

I´m with you, there we just simplified the weather report to 5 conditions add wet or dry and there you go.

Here in Athens it has been one hot spring and summer so far. Upper 90s and high humidity day after day. Almost no rain. Crunchy lawn. But things just go on. You go outside and sweat and still just do what you have to do and get things done. I don't spend any less time outside, we just deal with it. Yes, it wears you down when working outside, but I usually run a few miles 3-4 days a week after work anyhow. I feel chilly when it gets down in the 80s.

It is cold

It is warm

It is hot

That would work for me.

I´m with you, there we just simplified the weather report to 5 conditions add wet or dry and there you go.

Just like the eskimos have many words for snow southerners have many words for hot most of them have explitives attached.

• Moderators

Looks like the North is getting some Southern weather.

The darker purple/red is a heat advisory.

In the middle of all of that is about here, Carleston IL. Ok maby it's not Southern weather at 94 for the high we don't get a stinkin advisory, guess the figure were already toast ? [:S]

Tonight

Partly Cloudy
Partly
Cloudy
Lo 75 °F
Saturday

Mostly Sunny
Mostly
Sunny
Hi 94 °F
Saturday
Night

Partly Cloudy
Partly
Cloudy
Lo 76 °F
Sunday

Chance Thunderstorms Chance for Measurable Precipitation 30%
Chance
Tstms
Hi
94 °F
Sunday
Night

Chance Thunderstorms Chance for Measurable Precipitation 40%
Chance
Tstms
Lo
72 °F
Monday

Mostly Sunny
Mostly
Sunny
Hi 86 °F
Monday
Night

Mostly Clear
Mostly
Clear
Lo 66 °F
Tuesday

Sunny
Sunny

Hi 87 °F
Tuesday
Night

Mostly Clear
Mostly
Clear
Lo 70 °F

post-11804-1381965942868_thumb.png

I use the, "It's too hot to do anything" excuse to keep SWMBO the Sleeping Dragon at bay.... Just don't go out in the heat of the day unless I have to. Up at 6:00, off to the store, chores, etc and back inside by 10:30. By about 6:30PM, it's begun to cool off enough to not burn my feet heading to the pool.....

Talked to the Florida Power & Light meter dude yesterday. He told me that some of homes on the street are paying almst $1000 a month in utility bills. They are recommending leaving home A/C units at 79+ during the day, and not fooling around with the thermostats until after sunset. He also said the best "trick" (provided you have good insulation) is to drop the thermostat down (or set it to do so if it's programmable) to 77 at night. Since it gets down to 80 something by 10:00 PM, it does not take very long to cool everything off, and will remain fairly cool in the morning before the full force of the sun starts to cook the roof....

He also said a big consumption problem is folks leaving lights on all over the place during the day. They are pushing for customers to replace all lights with mini-flourescents.

I've got a stick house, all electric appliances, well with pump, but I have good insulation, slow rotating ceiling fans, and keep the temp at 79 and my bill is only about $165 a month. Pool pump is set to 2 hours a day, and if I go out and sweep the sides and bottom every couple days, it's remains clear as glass. Pool pumps and well pumps can eat up electricity if not careful.

Wall of Voodoo can suck some power ehrn I turn everything on for an hour or two once or twice a week, but normally it's about 70 watts consumption with one amp running, tuner, computer, and inet modem & router during the day.

We've got about another 60 days left of this kind of heat in south Florida. It will start really cooling off by late September. Fortunately, we are now in the monsoon season, and usually get a massive thunderstorm in the late afternoon. The rain will cool off the house really quick, but the killer after that is bazillion percent humidity.....

[H]

I've got a stick house, all electric appliances, well with pump, but I have good insulation, slow rotating ceiling fans, and keep the temp at 79 and my bill is only about $165 a month. Pool pump is set to 2 hours a day, and if I go out and sweep the sides and bottom every couple days, it's remains clear as glass. Pool pumps and well pumps can eat up electricity if not careful.

My last electric bill was about $78. (That's up a bit, too. The one before that was about $55.00) The thermostat is on 78 during the day and turned down to 74 about 8:00 pm. I have pretty good insulation and LOTS of trees. The trees are great for the shade, but tend to come down in storms. [:(]

My last electric bill was about $78. (That's up a bit, too. The one before that was about $55.00) The thermostat is on 78 during the day and turned down to 74 about 8:00 pm. I have pretty good insulation and LOTS of trees. The trees are great for the shade, but tend to come down in storms. Sad
Now I could go for a $78 electric bill.... My electric meter spins almost as much as my turntable....

The weather has been horrible here in Central IL as well...Marvel...I am sure you kinda remember this stuff haha. It has not hit triple digit temps here since '95 (actual temp) we crossed the mark wednesday...with the humidity 118 heat index. I drink about 2 gallons of gatorade a day climbing those telephone poles.....I have lost 9 lbs this week...my ac is a bit old...and house under insulated....we were holding 83 in the house at 78 on the thermostat for most of the day...my electric is running $300 a month...but then again, I have a 4 barrel kegorator that runs at 38 degrees in my garage and a few servers in my computer room that probably cost the normal person's entire electric bill. Still, it is a bit uncomfortable outside even at 10 pm tonight...but i will not wish fall apon us yet...I love summer...it will all turn too fast and I will be missing it.

ACE