Nothing's Happy in Happy Valley

Pete H

Joe was not arrested because the law only required him to report to his superiors, which he did. The reason the trustees fired him was because they considered he had a moral (not legal) obligation to report the child abuse to the police. The university president, Spanier, was also fired, but he may still face prosecution. If a program or institution is not safe for children, it is nothing. Knowingly allowing a child predator cover to abuse children makes one an accessory to the crime. It's not my opinion, it's the law.

I believe it's even more of a crime when due to the status, perception or position of an individual that turns a blind eye to a situation such as this. Take the same seriously disturbed acts and any random names from friends, enemies, hero's, family and move the puzzle pieces around and please tell me how it will ever make it any less or more of an act and that's what this is doing in some peoples minds. Joe Paterno "WAS" a hero in my eyes and it had little to do with football and more to do with the fact that I truely believed that he had a moral standard ( IN SPITE OF BEING A FOOTBALL COACH ) that was higher than the vast majority of individuals that walked on the planet. This is not a balancing scale that if you pile up enough good things over here that there is nothing that you could ever do to tip the scale in the other direction. There is a major difference between not telling the cashier and then the police that the person in front of you stole a pack of gum and not telling them that the person in front of you killed her mother.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the grand jury report today. It is sickening.

I read it Wednesday night at work, it sure is. Yesterday I read somewhere online that it may come out that he was pimping some of those boys out to wealthy men, as if this wasn't bad enough already.

Having grown up in PA, I know that "JoePa" is considered a GOD, but let's be real - this is all about money. Penn State reaps (rapes?) ~$70 million annualy from it's football program.

Paterno was told that Sandusky was raping kids years ago. He had a moral, ethical, and legal duty to report this the police.

Not only did he not report what he knew to the cops, but he continued to employ Sandusky and, thus, allowed the abuse to continue - just like the F'ing Catholic Church. Enablers are not part of the problem, they are the problem.

Paterno is not the victim here.

James

Joe was not arrested because the law only required him to report to his superiors, which he did. The reason the trustees fired him was because they considered he had a moral (not legal) obligation to report the child abuse to the police. The university president, Spanier, was also fired, but he may still face prosecution.

So the trustees felt Joe should have called the police, at least in retrospect, but did the local administrators feel that way or did they resist for some crazy reason like maintaining the reputation of the University, the program, or whatever? Although in some states a therapist or doctor,
etc. is legally required to report such an incident to Child Protective
Services or the equivalent (sometimes a division of the police force), in at least one
such state, school administrators tend to hit the ceiling if teachers
do so. They seem to think that such reports have to pass through their
hands, and be forwarded to the police if they deem that appropriate.
Does anyone know if there was a similar conflict of practices at Pen
State?

In any case, the rules of reporting should be required
reading by all faculty, and posted in meeting rooms, offices, etc. They
should emphasize that it is not the duty of the mandated reporter to
verify that the abuse happened --- CPS or the police will do that, if it
did. The reporter's job is to simply file a report. The head coach
should meet with the staff at the beginning of each term, and read a
list of behaviors that will be reported, and tell them that if any of them
witnesses any -- or has reason to believe that there were instances of
abuse that they must report to the civil authority. If the administration indicates that they
disapprove of this, the coaches, faculty, etc. should act like any other
professionals, and go to the administration in a body and present their
understanding of the law.

Joe was not arrested because the law only required him to report to his superiors, which he did. The reason the trustees fired him was because they considered he had a moral (not legal) obligation to report the child abuse to the police. The university president, Spanier, was also fired, but he may still face prosecution.

So the trustees felt Joe should have called the police, at least in retrospect, but did the local administrators feel that way or did they resist for some crazy reason like maintaining the reputation of the University, the program, or whatever? Although in some states a therapist or doctor,
etc. is legally required to report such an incident to Child Protective
Services or the equivalent (sometimes a division of the police force), in at least one
such state, school administrators tend to hit the ceiling if teachers
do so. They seem to think that such reports have to pass through their
hands, and be forwarded to the police if they deem that appropriate.
Does anyone know if there was a similar conflict of practices at Pen
State?

In any case, the rules of reporting should be required
reading by all faculty, and posted in meeting rooms, offices, etc. They
should emphasize that it is not the duty of the mandated reporter to
verify that the abuse happened --- CPS or the police will do that, if it
did. The reporter's job is to simply file a report. The head coach
should meet with the staff at the beginning of each term, and read a
list of behaviors that will be reported, and tell them that if any of them
witnesses any -- or has reason to believe that there were instances of
abuse that they must report to the civil authority. If the administration indicates that they
disapprove of this, the coaches, faculty, etc. should act like any other
professionals, and go to the administration in a body and present their
understanding of the law.

Every adult has the moral obligation to protect those that cannot protect themselves, especially children. It is far better to raise the alarm over shaky suspicions than to shrug things off as intangible and feel bad in hindsight. Sure it's embarassing for all parties involved if it turns out to be nothing, but that inconvenience pales in comparison to the damage done to children by un-checked adults.

Considering that about 40% of all male children, and about 70% of all female children are abused, it tells me that society is doing something fundamentally wrong.

Here in the West we claim to be Christians and make a big deal about the 10 Commandments (although there are a total of 613 mentioned in the Bible), and none of them say "thou shalt not bugger young boys (or girls)".

Perhaps it's time for a rewrite.

(and somewhere in there include 'turn off that *&+% cell phone').

The more I hear/read about this, the more nauseated I become. Someone should have taken a baseball bat to this idiot years ago.

I'm shocked that nothing has happened and actually thought that the bail was set so low in order to allow the opportunity.