I just don't see it in this pic

dtel

I'll tell you why you don't get it....becuase you don't get it. Think about the stocks that Person W bought for a dollar from person X and then sold to person Y for 100,000.00 It would be a rule violation for person Y to donate to Person Wthe 100,000.00 directly

We really do not know what transactions these symbols represent.

It's rather nice in a minimalist kind of way. A piece of art is worth what someone is willing to pay. I've been fortunate enough to be on the selling end of some paintings that somebody liked enough to pay a few hundred for when I knew I only had an hours worth of time invested in it.

It's art which means you don't have to get it. Understanding Andreas Gursky's artistic style is important to understanding this photo. He is one of the photographers that inspires me in my photography. I was honored when a NYC art curator compared my last collection to Gursky's work. Nearly every photographer that makes it out of Düsseldorf becomes a great photographer in their chosen genre. I dreamed of going to Düsseldorf for photography, maybe someday I will make it a reality.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, just like many of the (sometimes ridiculous and sometimes ridiculously expensive) updates we make to our audio systems.

Gursky used to have the world's most expensive photo which sold for over a million dollars. Also remember these aren't 4x5 prints, they are GIGANTIC. We're talking 80 inches tall and like 140 inches wide. See on in person, in real life and it starts to click, no pun intended.

"The first time I saw photographs by Andreas Gursky...I had the disorienting sensation that something was happeninghappening to me, I suppose, although it felt more generalized than that. Gursky's huge, panoramic color printssome of them up to six feet high by ten feet longhad the presence, the formal power, and in several cases the majestic aura of nineteenth-century landscape paintings, without losing any of their meticulously detailed immediacy as photographs. Their subject matter was the contemporary world, seen dispassionately and from a distance." - critic Calvin Tomkins

Just my thoughts, as a fine art photographer.

they are GIGANTIC. We're talking 80 inches tall and like 140 inches wide. See on in person, in real life and it starts to click, no pun intended.

Wow, 6.5' high and almost 12' wide puts it in a different context, if extremely fine details hold up. But, what exactly is artistically special? Dazzling massive fine detail such as individual grass blades in such a large pic? That would be very arresting by itself.

The arrangement and spacing of the horizontal bands? The colors, somehow? Like some others here, I don't see what's terrific on a computer monitor. I'd appreciate the help.

Some decades ago, Kodak displayed HUGE backlit transparencies showing astonishing detail, on the largest walls inside Grand Central Station. That had to be some accomplishment in the pre-digital days of film.

they are GIGANTIC. We're talking 80 inches tall and like 140 inches wide. See on in person, in real life and it starts to click, no pun intended.

Wow, 6.5' high and almost 12' wide puts it in a different context, if extremely fine details hold up. But, what exactly is artistically special? Dazzling massive fine detail such as individual grass blades in such a large pic? That would be very arresting by itself.

The arrangement and spacing of the horizontal bands? The colors, somehow? Like some others here, I don't see what's terrific on a computer monitor. I'd appreciate the help.

Some decades ago, Kodak displayed HUGE backlit transparencies showing astonishing detail, on the largest walls inside Grand Central Station. That had to be some accomplishment in the pre-digital days of film.

Gursky uses 100 ASA Fuji film in two large-format, 5x7 Linhof cameras. These cameras are placed next to each other, one with a wide angle lens and the other with a standard focal length lens. Due to the giant size of the film, the layer of two exposure, the incredibly slow 100 ASA film and the quality of the lenses, you can view these images at their gallery size and see detail that the naked eye could never see. It is unlike any digital photograph you have ever seen, with the exception of those gigapixel photos made through hundreds of exposures using prosumer/professional digital cameras.

Using a slow film (100 ASA) prevents any grain and helps make moving objects invisible due to the slow shutter speed. Under-exposes the film by 1 f-stop and then pushes the development. This is a photography technique that can become quite complicated, especially when you're working with film, especially when that film is 5x7 and you have to do it perfectly, twice, for each photo you're making.

Many of his photos are critiques on consumerism, engineering and extraction vs nature, the human complex and other "big ideas" you'd expect to be discussed at a TED conference. Understanding the context and intention behind each photos is integral to understanding its importance.

This goes with artists like Nan Goldin, at first glance she is taking low-quality, disposable camera, flash photographs of drug addicts and prostitutes. Look a little closer and you realize it is a story about a population of people living with disease and mortality at their doorstep. People forgotten or ignored, victims of class and their experiments that lead to addiction and eventually death. Yet, through all this pain and sadness emerges small moments of humanity and happiness.

Does that help? I love talking photography. :D