I'm Ready To Declare War

CIGARBUM

I have two cars, well I should say a Jeep Wrangler and Infiniti SUV, I just got the Infiniti FX50S about 2 weeks ago, traded in a FX35. To get to the story, the war is being waged with all the rodents, mice, rats, Squirrles and whatever else there is. These critters have cost me about $700 in replacement of wires and other parts under the hood of my cars. They started with the Jeep and moved on to the FX35, now I have a new FX50S, they have decided to munch on it $350 today. This has got to end.

Does any one have some good ways to get rid of them, I have cats,so poison is out of the question, I have tried moth balls, peppermint oil, these electronic repellers and nothing seems to work. I think all the stuff I have put in the garage keeps the cats away, so they are useless.

HELP PLEASE.

Cigarbum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

put some Bose speakers and Monster cabling with a little bit of current running through them in the garage...

[Y][Y]

If there is a problem with that idea, it's that it would make it toxic to humans as well...

Seriously, why not just seal up the garage better? I don' have anything in the class of an Infinity anything, but I do have a garage and know how to use it.

Dave

I like the shoe box size electric traps. pest check in and they don't check out. they get zap. very humane. you bait the traps and check them daily. I took care of 9 pests in one month. they sell them at homw depot. if you got rodents, this will end that problem. for you, you would have to place them under the fron of the car. they can't get wet, so they might need to be placed on a thin sheet of wood. rodents can smell human scent so wear old smelly gloves when handling the traps. if you handle the traps after wshing your hands with dial, zest, carest, and those kinds of soaps, they won't go into the boxes.

When I worked at a lumber yard that had a constant rat infestation, the owner mixed 50% flour with 50% cement and placed the mixture where the rats could get to it but in a place where the 5 big German Shepherds that guarded the lumber yard could not.

All the rats eventually turned to stone.

I do not know if a cat would eat it.

Good luck with those critters.

My grandmother and mother both had issues with field mice chewing on the things under the hood; wires, hoses, etc. on both Chevys and Toyotas at the house. They tried everything you have mentioned PLUS the poison to no avail. My mom heard that they rodents did not like the chemical makeup of Honda parts.....since she bought her CRV 3 years ago there has not been one rat incident.

True story.

Guest Anonymous

I had two mice in my house on xmas eve night...you can image that the wife and daughter didnt sleep well...

I set traps, caught two in one night. you should be able to set traps.

OK forget all that, let me save you the trouble. i will trade you my Yaris for your Infinity. [Y]

Well short of my 1st thought (Going nuclear with Molotov cocktails) At home I use bait traps and they work OK but try this, 4 glue traps in a medium box with a some inviting holes (I.E.Mini Mouse strip club with FREE cheese & peanut butter buffet "This is key!") on each side and the secret weapon peanut butter bait in the middle. Also if there is a wall nearby get a wet sponge smear peanut butter on it and wipe a scent trail directly to the box. Next day, say hi to the pyramid of disappointed mice trying to climb over each other to reach the bait in the middle. FTW! Toss your box of joy into the nearest "I call the police every time your stereo is on" neighbor's basement window.

Normally Mice and rats do not like to chew stuff up in cars, you could have a weasel problem. Look for droppings, they are quite different from mice and other critters since they are carnivors.

A cheap and easy way to keep them out of the motor is to loosly attach some chain link fence to some 2x4 or so (they do not like to go over "scary" moving ground) and park over it. Others have attached an electic fence traffo to the chain link, they do not like this at all!!

Decided to check things under the hood on my BMW this past weekend and something had gathered a pile of seeds and stuffed them in the space where my strut tower mounts (could have been a bird or a rodent). I had to get the shop vac and suck all the crap out. To deter reocurrence I hosed it and the other side down with WD-40 to make it less inviting. I live in a rural area with fields around me, I use standard Tomcat traps with PB on them in my basement. I get field mice ocassionally. Spray the garage floor down with a lfine mist layer of bleach and let it dry. That will discourage just about anything.

My wife has an '08 CR-V and I did not see any signs of activity when I checked it.

Well, you guys have given me enough ideas that I going out this morning and gather up a bunch of critter killing materials. Rat-Zapper, sticky pads, bait, and for the squirrles I have a nice CZ .17HMR that should do OK.

Sorry if any of my methods offend anyone but drastic critter damage result in drastic measures.

I will WIN.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Cigarbum

I live in the country and have this same type of problem and they love my jeep as well. My country bumkin mechanic says put dryer sheets in the corners under the bumpers. As far as trapping I try to use live traps, make sure you take them a good distance from your house or they will return. Also keep the mice seperated, different clans of mice dont play well together. Dont ask me how I know this. If you must trap to exterminate, I have found that the old school traps with the metal plate are the most humane and the most effective. The ones with the plastic plate never work once for me. They cant resist peanut butter, if you set 10 traps like this, 5 will be filled by the morning. Good luck