Whitney Houston dead.

runninshine

I'm sure this is going to bring out the flame throwers but..............I really think it's time we quit overlooking what certain celebrities do and become and then feel sad when they die despite the fact that they became complete morons and their life goes down the tubes along with any special talent they had, at their own hand. Then we get to watch the glorification when true to form her last couple days were captured acting just like the looser addict she's been for a long time. Sorry guys she WAS one of the most incredible voices that I had ever heard but that's been gone for quite a while and sorry, but she's not some role model for children or life in general, nor are countless actors, musicians, politicians and every day people that in spite of all the wrong doings that you and I would be incarcerated for and deemed by society to be losers, get away with things and are still praised because they have a lot of money or because the general public makes it a tragedy because of who they are. This story would be different if it were inspiring and was a true story of falling from grace and true recovery and perspective to be shared, but it's not.

I really love what Jimi Hendrix brought to the table musically and I listen to many things that he did, but he wasn't someone I aspired to be like as a person and don't feel bad because he partied too hard and choked on his vomit.

She bought joy to many lives, including Trey's, who got to install her Klipschorn AK4s

I thought he did it for Tanya Tucker? Did he do it for both?

Regardless, certainly a voice that will be missed.

You are correct, I guess it was Tanya Tucker. My memory is beginning to play tricks on me. I must have had them both filed under "fine and talented women."

I really love what Jimi Hendrix brought to the table musically and I listen to many things that he did, but he wasn't someone I aspired to be like as a person and don't feel bad because he partied too hard and choked on his vomit.

You don't?

I understand the individual responsibility argument,
but its value is that it focuses us on making choices, rather than just
floating in the wind. Some choices are very difficult to make, more
so for some people than others, thus dependency, addiction, and all the
other negatives. And whether we are really making the choices, or just
seeming to, is one of the oldest philosophical issues.

It
might be that "there but for fortune go I" -- or perhaps I would never
go there, regardless of fortune. I don't pretend to know.

I
miss Jimi and Janis and Whitney. We think we knew them, just a little
... and even if we didn't, "any person's death diminishes me."

I think we all know folks that "checked out early"
and I guess we all loose because of it. What some would have become IF they had
not, we will never know. I lost my best friend when he was 22; you just have to
guess the “what if” part. He was a motorcycle victim hit by a car on his way
home from work. We suffer for their loss. Another of my friends would see folks
passed out at parties on their backs and turn them on their sides; did he save
any of them? He doesn't know but he knows they weren’t dead the next time he
saw them. I think he did it partly because of hearing how Jimi died. Getting
through our younger years is a challenge for many. Three christmases ago I was at my friends house and and three of us were talking about how the hellllll we ever got past 20 let alone 30, drinking and driving didn't use to be a big deal, we were all pretty good at it. To get so far along only to
fall victim to your own faults is a real shame. I saw a women last summer
at a local concert that I went to high school with, she had something to do
with the class reunions and said to me that I wouldn't believe how many of the
folks that we were in school with were gone, It bummed her out so much she
wouldn't say the "how many" part. I guess I have to go to the 40th
reunion this summer to find out if I want to know. Life is tough for lots of
folks, living is harder. Last one standing wins? I don't know but it’s not the
end of the stories that we will continue to here until it’s our turn.

I do like her version of the National Anthem even though the song itself in my opinion is one of the worst ever written.

How unpatriotic of you!

Well it is set to the tune of an old English drinking song and glorifies war. And is incredibly difficult to sing even by very good singers, or so I've been told. But other than those couple of things or because of them maybe it's the perfect choice? [:S]

And do kids today hear it? "Jose can you see ..." (how to add the little accent thingy over the e - hozay)

I
miss Jimi and Janis and Whitney. We think we knew them, just a little
... and even if we didn't, "any person's death diminishes me."

And Elvis, and Michael, Amy, and Tommy (Bolin, between Elivs and Michael somewhere....) as a local promotor said. Another fine talent destroyed by the music industry. And I think I remmeber Whitney's mother Cissy not allowing her first album to be released until she was at least 20 something.

And there are many more.... Keith, Jim, and John (Belushi - he so much wanted to be a blues musician first, actor second...)