The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

Black Hat

It was OK, not bad but felt like it could have been more. PQ was very sharp at times in a very good looking digital, and several of the scenes were shot in a way that reminded me of Collateral (another Mann movie). AQ was spotty. In a few of the gunfights and the end it was very very good. The big gun fight in the middle of the movie was LOUD, and pretty awesome, but there were times where you couldn't even hear folks or it seemed something was wrong. Noted by other blu-ray reviewers as well. I watched at 0.0 reference volume and found myself having trouble hearing certain scenes of dialogue, and then when the action scenes hit it was "damn".

Black Hat

Edited by gadgtfreek

Kingsman... fun movie for sure.

I enjoyed it more the first time when I saw it at the theaters, and it still pisses me off that they killed off the Harry Hart / Galahad character.

Bluray looks decent, but the FX's dont translate well.

Blackhat:  Base on cyber espionage and terrorist staring Chris Hemsworth is a very decent rental.  Good PQ and audio.  I am not sure why the other reviewer found parts difficult to hear.  Some of the ULF was more than the scene called for.  The plot is believable and one can see how this is a real life problem.  The movie seems slow at time to build the stories suspense. 

Edited by derrickdj1

The Wachowski's have demonstrated that there's a fine line between genius & complete madness. The first Matrix = genius... the 2nd & 3rd, not so much. Their groundbreaking sci-fi trilogy was sadly followed by 2 mega box office bombs; Speed Racer & Cloud Atlas (I couldn't stand either of those films, both were equally awful). So, a few years back when I first heard that Jupiter Ascending was in the works, I thought Andy & Lana might finally have a chance to recapture their sci-fi glory.

Signs of trouble began early, suffering from multiple rewrites, multiple re-shoots, production delays to rework & re-edit  the film & even further delays to complete the special effects & CGI. Eventually the $200 million dollar film was pulled from the 2014 Summer schedule & dumped & buried (7 months later) into a February 2015 slot. No surprise it bombed, making only $47 million in the US. Despite that I was still very eager to see Jupiter Ascending, as box office never determines whether I like or dislike a film. 

So is this a good movie? No. (lol)

It's sooo bad. The casting was bad, the acting was bad, Mila Kunis was absolutely horrible in the female lead (a cardboard cutout of Flo, from the Progressive commercials could have done a better job). The reluctant hero (Channing Tatum) mumbled his way thru the movie (I actually had to turn on the subtitles to understand what he was saying). There were "3" so-called villains & they were more like brief cameos than actual villains (we never even learn what happened to 2 of them). Eddie Redmayne was plagued with absurd over acting. The dialog for everyone was bad, the contrasting opening set up was dumb & out of place, I think you get the idea (lol).

A couple days after watching it—out of curiosity, I threw in the 3D version. WOW! The PQ of the standard version was great, but the 3D transfer is straight up amazing. I own about (25) 3D Blu-ray's & Jupiter Ascending is by far the best of the bunch, no contest. The color pallet, the special effects, the action scenes & the cityscapes are extremely crisp & vivid & they all come to life perfectly in 3D (Chicago never looked better). So, at least the Jupiter Ascending qualifies as a 1st rate demo worthy 3D disc. And its good to have, because this might be the last movie we ever see from the Wachowski's.

Mr0poIa.jpg

• Like 1

More garbage tonight. Complete train wreck from start to finish. Not sure how Ridley Scott can screw this story up... but he did. Can't think of one thing I enjoyed about Exodus, well the horses were nice.

U5vMfNe.jpg

Yeah, we just skipped that one after the reviews. I also decided to skip Chappie too.

Seventh Son tonight

On another note, my uncle won a PS4 in a raffle and gave it to me. I set it all up earlier in the main HT and tested it with spears and munsil. Did well, be curios to see how it "looks" tonight. They did make it where you have to bring up options once the disc is in, and turn off NR and turn on bitstreaming of audio.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Luckily I enjoy Michael Bay & Transformers because this is the best Atmos track available right now. 

The 3D is also excellent from start to finish. Probably watched this a dozen times since it came out.

Always a fun way to fill the room. PQ & AQ is outstanding.

ZfvbwKe.jpg

• Like 2