TV Advice needed

tigerwoodKhorns

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go! Money both sizes you want brand new for 1600$. Looks like a plan to me.

That may be the direction to go. I just gave away a 20+ year old TV that is still working great (an inexpensive sharp TV). If new TV's lasted that long I would have no problem spending $3K each, but they are now disposable. My Mitsubishi's are about 6 years old and need to be replaced. [:@]

3D is hokey. We love our Sharp Quattron 60" LED non 3D 240hz TV.

I don't know about it being HOKEY (I did buy the Sony Playstation 3D display just for the 3D quality) but we have the same TV from Sharp that you do, we have had it for 14 months now and love it. I bought mine at Sams club for $1950 and now they are about $1399 and my personal feeling is that at that price it is a steal. I know this is a little out of the quoted spending price but I feel this set is an excelent value. YMMV!

love my mitsubishi 65".....and also my panasonic 50" plasma in the br. it has the best picture of any tv i've ever owned. the mitsu was about $1300, and the pan was a warranty replacement for a sony thru best buy.

two words...extended warranty.....it's saved me twice with my mitsu.....it's about 3 yrs old.

Tiger . . . Been down this road two times in last 6 months . . .

The very most bang for the buck without all of the bells and whistles is the Panasonic ST50 line . . . .seriously, the reviews are amazing. I bought Panasonics higher line 65VT30 at Christmas, the just bought Panny's 50ST50 for the bedroom. To get a better pq than on an ST50, you have to pay Elite prices. And then, it is a negligible difference for 2-3 times for the Elite series. Yes, the ST50 line is 3D, but I will never use it. In the Panny's, 3d gets you a better 2D . . . The 2D is over engineered to give great 3D, so 2D is the winner.

Do yourself a favor and read this link @ http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57426194-221/panasonic-st50-vs-sharp-elite-pro-how-much-would-you-pay/

So Panasonic's plasma line high end has 3 lines most expensive to least are VT50, GT50, then ST50 . . . check out the reviews of ST50 on CNET . . . As just one example. I got the 50ST50 for $900 on sale from Amazon on a price match. Running around $1150 now. But I would not hesitate on a larger ST50 either. The 2d pq is simply amazing, and it gives you some really good custom options to tweak yourself.

Good luck on your choice. I now have 3 Panny plasmas and a Pioneer plasma, two in bright rooms with large windows and no curtains, one in the bright bedroom, and the 65"er in the HT. could not be more amazed.

Tiger . . . Been down this road two times in last 6 months . . . The very most bang for the buck without all of the bells and whistles is the Panasonic ST50 line . . . .seriously, the reviews are amazing. I bought Panasonics higher line 65VT30 at Christmas, the just bought Panny's 50ST50 for the bedroom. To get a better pq than on an ST50, you have to pay Elite prices. And then, it is a negligible difference for 2-3 times for the Elite series. Yes, the ST50 line is 3D, but I will never use it. In the Panny's, 3d gets you a better 2D . . . The 2D is over engineered to give great 3D, so 2D is the winner. Do yourself a favor and read this link @ http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57426194-221/panasonic-st50-vs-sharp-elite-pro-how-much-would-you-pay/ So Panasonic's plasma line high end has 3 lines most expensive to least are VT50, GT50, then ST50 . . . check out the reviews of ST50 on CNET . . . As just one example. I got the 50ST50 for $900 on sale from Amazon on a price match. Running around $1150 now. But I would not hesitate on a larger ST50 either. The 2d pq is simply amazing, and it gives you some really good custom options to tweak yourself. Good luck on your choice. I now have 3 Panny plasmas and a Pioneer plasma, two in bright rooms with large windows and no curtains, one in the bright bedroom, and the 65"er in the HT. could not be more amazed.

Looks like a winner. The ST50, not other line, right? Prices fluctuate a lot. Since I am buying two, should I wait until Thankgiving? There is a Fry's right down the street. They usually have deep discounts. It can add up when buying multiples.

Tiger . . . Been down this road two times in last 6 months . . . The very most bang for the buck without all of the bells and whistles is the Panasonic ST50 line . . . .seriously, the reviews are amazing. I bought Panasonics higher line 65VT30 at Christmas, the just bought Panny's 50ST50 for the bedroom. To get a better pq than on an ST50, you have to pay Elite prices. And then, it is a negligible difference for 2-3 times for the Elite series. Yes, the ST50 line is 3D, but I will never use it. In the Panny's, 3d gets you a better 2D . . . The 2D is over engineered to give great 3D, so 2D is the winner. Do yourself a favor and read this link @ http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57426194-221/panasonic-st50-vs-sharp-elite-pro-how-much-would-you-pay/ So Panasonic's plasma line high end has 3 lines most expensive to least are VT50, GT50, then ST50 . . . check out the reviews of ST50 on CNET . . . As just one example. I got the 50ST50 for $900 on sale from Amazon on a price match. Running around $1150 now. But I would not hesitate on a larger ST50 either. The 2d pq is simply amazing, and it gives you some really good custom options to tweak yourself. Good luck on your choice. I now have 3 Panny plasmas and a Pioneer plasma, two in bright rooms with large windows and no curtains, one in the bright bedroom, and the 65"er in the HT. could not be more amazed.

Looks like a winner. The ST50, not other line, right? Prices fluctuate a lot. Since I am buying two, should I wait until Thankgiving? There is a Fry's right down the street. They usually have deep discounts. It can add up when buying multiples.

Turns out that after dealing with Mittsubishi since last April to get a TV fixed, I bought a bad replacement bulb to put in the now working TV. So I am out $55 + another $65 to get the German Osram bulb (hope it is actually the quality original bulb), but at least the TV is fixed.

So I can get by with my TV's for as long as needed.

If I do buy, the Panasonic' ST50s look like the ones to get. What new must have game changer is on the horizon that makes it so that I should wait another year or two?

I think that being able to stream from the iternet is going to be important to me, but most TV's have that (I have already hard wired CAT6 through the whole house).

I think that being able to stream from the iternet is going to be important to me, but most TV's have that (I have already hard wired CAT6 through the whole house).

For tv's, brp's, etc... that don't have streaming features, an easy and inexpensive way to add streaming capabilities is a Roku or Apple TV box. I have both in different bedrooms and they work great. They can both be purchased under 100.00

For tv's, brp's, etc... that don't have streaming features, an easy and inexpensive way to add streaming capabilities is a Roku or Apple TV box. I have both in different bedrooms and they work great. They can both be purchased under 100.00

Does the Roku just allow streaming of certain channels or can you go to any site you wish and stream? This looks like a good solution.

The roku is just certain stations on the web. Netflix, Hulu, YouTube etc. Apple TV allows you to "mirror" what is on your apple device to the TV. I have several iOS devices so the mirroring was a winner for me. I like to stream certain sports events and the lil stations you get don't cover it all.

Turns out that after dealing with Mittsubishi since last April to get a TV fixed, I bought a bad replacement bulb to put in the now working TV. So I am out $55 + another $65 to get the German Osram bulb (hope it is actually the quality original bulb), but at least the TV is fixed.

So I can get by with my TV's for as long as needed.

If I do buy, the Panasonic' ST50s look like the ones to get. What new must have game changer is on the horizon that makes it so that I should wait another year or two?

Almost sorry you got the MIT's fixed. :-). When you are ready, the ST50s are the most,bang for the buck. And Fry's will often match an online retailer's low price. here is a link to keep an eye on for price for the ST50 if the Mits takes another nose dive or for anybody watching for the best price on an ST50; just read the thread backward to get the freshest info on sales: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406945/panasonic-st50-deals/480

And, Black Friday is coming in two months . . . Fry's is often the leader on those sales. I have ordered my last two Panny plasmas on a low price match from Amazon, which has the best return policy if there was a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll attest to the quality of Panasonics picture. I just bought the TC-p60UT50 and the Picture is unreal. Supposedly all of the 2012 pannys have the same screen just different features. If you step up to the st50 and above there is an added filter that helps with ambient light reflection. In my room it was not an issue. The picture is just mind blowing.

I bought a Panasonic 55-VT50 Plasma last may and it's the best tv i ever owned

The picture is flawless and the 3D is awesome [ if that matters to you] some people dont care about the 3d, Depending what they come out with next spring im going to move th 55 into my living room and get a 65 for the home theater