Tubes vs. SS

Jeff Matthews

Flame away! Devil

What, AGAIN???

You must be really bored...

I've wondered over the reasons for preference. It isn't "better" or "worse." If I were going to guess I think those who prefer classical and acoustic music would make up the majority of tube lovers and the rock and electric music folks the SS crowd. The "edgy" clinical sound of SS seems more at home with electric music than the "old leather" and mellow sound of tubes.

I am certainly of the tube persuasion and came by it by living through the advent of SS. Couldn't wait to get the money together to replace my Dyna SCA-35. Wish I'd kept it as it would be worth six times what it was when I sold it. Further, it was nearly 20 years before I found my way back to the naturalness and warmth of tubes. My preference now is tube/Class D/SS.

Dave

Tubes are soooooo 20th century. I prefer solid state over vacuum state.

Unless you listen to 78s exclusively you are listening to music made on solid state studio equipment. Obviously, digital recording is all solid state except for the occasional use of vacuum tube mic preamps.

Had McIntosh 240, HK Citations, Scott, Dynaco, Marantz 8b in my late teens and into my late 20's. PWK told my Marantz 8b was a good amplifier when I told him that I was using one on my Khorns after telling him his didn't belong in the Museum in Hope. LOL.

I remember him telling me that Dr. Matti Otala of Finland found the problem with all SS amplifiers, which was Transient Intermodulation Distortion. Once all of the SS amp designers of the world cleaned all that up in their products, the differences between them disappeared.

What is more important to those who listen to Horns, is the performance in the MILLIWATT range. IOW, less than 1 Watt of output power. This is where very little testing is done on most products. A Klipsch engineer in Indy tested my cheap little Sonic Impact amp in the lab and told me it was a VERY GOOD 6 watt/ch. amplifier. PWK always said what the world needed was a good 5 Watt amplifier. Too bad he never lived to measure and hear the Tripath Chips.

Mine are 2020 and 2024's with Radio Shack power supplies. Tubes wear out, but chip amps never do, so I'm all for low power SS in that sense to go with horns. Tubes are too finicky and expensive for my taste. But their exaggerated 2nd harmonic distortions are very PLEASANT for those who love tubes, so why not?

It's all about choices and they all sound good these days. No such thing as a bad one unless they need repairs or capacitor replacments.

Tubes wear out, but chip amps never do, so I'm all for low power SS in that sense to go with horns.

I am music oriented and do not analyze equipment much. However, even though I was prejudiced towards SS and couldn't wait to be rid of my tubes, and later towards CD (thank God I was too lazy to dispose of my records), I clearly hear things with these technologies (the way it's used, in the case of CD as I've heard and made CDs that are excellent) that are not to my liking. While both are "Solid State" by definition, I differentiate between transistor amps and chip amps. The chip amps are squarely between tubes and transistors IMHO.

Dave

...there is an article by Paul written in the 70's about solid state... I am looking for it now, but I can not seem to find it.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/1456039/PWK%20TubesVsSS.pdf

"...the KLIPSCHORN offers up to 10 acoustic watts or over 120 dB SPL and who wants that except teenage rock rollers who will have severe hearing loss by the time they get out of college...if they make it..."

[;)]

I think this topic should be "SETs vs. everything else" instead: the resurgence of SETs is like a resurgence of 8-track tapes...there's nothing good to say about them both.

Chris

...there is an article by Paul written in the 70's about solid state... I am looking for it now, but I can not seem to find it.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/1456039/PWK%20TubesVsSS.pdf

"...the KLIPSCHORN offers up to 10 acoustic watts or over 120 dB SPL and who wants that except teenage rock rollers who will have severe hearing loss by the time they get out of college...if they make it..."

Wink

not the article I was refereeing to, but that was very interesting.